Topics

FLDIGI basic installation for a MAC

Jim Upson

Hello everyone....new member of this group....

I was trying to find the installation instructions and links to install FLDIGI on my Mac...
  • macOS Catalina v 10.15.1
  • Mac Book Pro Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014
  • Processor 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
  • Last login: Mon Nov 25 18:17:48 on console

    JIMs-MacBook-Pro:~ jimupson$ uname -m

        x86_64

    JIMs-MacBook-Pro:~ jimupson$ arch

        i386

I was confused by the the possible "DMG" options....wasn't sure how I determine which I need for my Mac.

I tried them, and although I get the FLDIGI screen.....it doesn't remain as an installed application...is this 'normal' ?

image.png

Has anyone written any installation/configuration guide for a Mac....?

BTW...my current interest is to use FLDigi for helping me see the quality of my Morse code as I am learning to send for the first time....

Will FLDigi run OK on a Mac...just as good as in windows?

Any direction is most appreciated,

Thanks to all Veterans for your service......
......and a Blessed Thanksgiving to all....

73, Jim AC3B

Nikki Bruce Iphone 6s Bruce

Jim I ran into problems with Carolina fldigi is not compatible with it at this point you will want to roll back your os I am a Mac user and there are a lot of reasons not to install that newly released Catalina 10.15 OS. This is just one of them Carolina is a 64 bit program rather than the old 32 bit Mojave. 10.14.

On Monday, November 25, 2019, 7:21 PM, Jim Upson <jim72upson@...> wrote:

[...]

david flad

AS noted, there are TWO versions to download for the Mac that Dave has made available.  You
should take the one here:
Dave has been compiling a version that is all 64-bit for each of the various executables.  As with any
software installation from a DMG, you need to drag the executables into your Applications folder.

Dave’s on-line help files for the various tools are very thorough too — so if you cannot find it by reading the
manual, I don’t beleive it exists :-)

Regards,

David L Flad / KB3YCK

Disclaimer: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) and
entity(ies) to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended
addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone this e-mail message
including any attachments, or any information contained in this e-mail message including any attachments.

If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message.

Nikki Bruce Iphone 6s Bruce

Jim the link for fldigi and guide after you have rolled your system back is

On Monday, November 25, 2019, 8:01 PM, Nikki Bruce Iphone 6s Bruce via Groups.Io <km4boq.arrl@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Hamel

RE: Catalina:

I haven't upgraded to Catalina, but from what I understand Mac OS X Catalina only supports 64 bit applications. I would assume that so long you downloaded the 64 bit version of fldigi it would work.

I just have several applications that are not available as 64 bit as of yet hence hanging with Mojave for now….

RE: Installation instructions.

I’m running fldigi and flrig just fine on Mojave.

I ran the DMG as you did and then just dragged and dropped the apps you see into the application of my choice, in my case Applications/HAM_RADIO/

Then I just went in and configured to point to the folder I want things to live in.

HTH,

’73 K3TFM

On Nov 25, 2019, at 8:01 PM, Nikki Bruce Iphone 6s Bruce via Groups.Io <km4boq.arrl@...> wrote:

[...]

Ross Bennett <therossbennett@...>

I’m running Catalina 15.1 and have used FLdigi and FLmsg both with considerable success.  We just used that installation as part of a regional exercise passing much digital traffic. No trouble. We also used it without trobule in Catalina 15.0.

Remember that when you download the dmg and open it, it’s mounting as a disk drive and you’ll need to drag the applications within to the Applications directory of your computer.  This is a pretty common way to install applications on a Mac, so you’ll want to understand what’s happening there.  It’s not done with the App Store installations, and downloaded pkg installers run more as installer apps.  But most apps not from the App Store should be dragged from wherever you get it to the Applications directory.

Once you’ve done that, you can unmount the disk drive and delete the dmg file.

Ross
Ross Bennett
Kilgore, Texas

Nikki Bruce Iphone 6s Bruce

Thanks Ross for the information I have another software that I’ll have to work for a fix but no big deal just waiting for the patch file.