Topics

Easy Digi and computers #flmsg

Ole Helgerson KI7MBR

Greetings all,

Probably a truly noob question, but want to connect the Icom T70 ht and Alinco DR-735 mobile via Easy Digi on 12 year old Linux Mint laptop and on the not as old Dell 660 desktop (W10) for working FlDigi and also Winlink on the Dell.  I have used an Easy Digi connector to successfully send from the Icom ht using Nokia phone and Samsung tablet plugged into their respective earphone jacks.

The question I have is whether it would be better to attach the Easy Digi to a USB port on the computers, or to use the mic/speaker jacks that each has.  Is there any substantive difference in the signal coming out of either place?  I had thought that perhaps the USB cable might carry sound digitally whereas the mic/spkr jacks are analog.  But dunno.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

73, KI7MBR

Ole Helgerson KI7MBR

Ok, just figured out that USB is digital.  Next question, regarding using an Easy Digi,  is internal interference within the computer affecting its internal soundcard truly as bad as some say?  Is a $20 external USB advisable?  Thanks in advance.  73 KI7MBR

Ryan Tourge, N2YQT

I’ve used the cheap USB dongles with my easy digi with no issues. $20 is a bit much

On Sep 21, 2019, at 5:45 PM, Ole Helgerson KI7MBR <olehelgerson@...> wrote:

Ok, just figured out that USB is digital.  Next question, regarding using an Easy Digi,  is internal interference within the computer affecting its internal soundcard truly as bad as some say?  Is a $20 external USB advisable?  Thanks in advance.  73 KI7MBR

Ole Helgerson KI7MBR

Ryan,  Thanks greatly for the feedback.  Will follow advice.  73, KI7MBR Ole