Topics

CW Keying on fldigi

John KC4LZN

A brief description of the equipment. FT-450D rig. SignaLink USB interface. Raspberry Pi 3 B+.

I recently switched from the USB Sound Card that I used for interface with some cables I purchased through a vendor online to a SignaLink USB interface with my FT-450D.

Before with the USB Sound Card, when I would transmit in CW mode, the rig would key, a steady key, transmit what was in the buffer and all was good. With the SignaLink USB, it transmits each and every character. The relays are just going nuts, clickety clackety. I've checked skimmers and found it is working, picking up my signal throughout the country but I'm concerned about the stress it's putting on the rig by cycling the relays as much as it does. When I use CW mode on the rig and a straight key, it doesn't do anything like that to key. Seems to be a built in delay timer before it releases the relays when sending characters. I haven't looked at the settings in the rig but I'm sure, it's set in there somewhere for that.

When using CW mode in fldigi, is there a setting in there to invoke a delay similar to what the rig does as a standalone? Is there a setting somewhere I've overlooked in setting up this SignaLink USB ( I know that's a loaded question)? I've got flrig setup with fldigi to key the rig and it is controlled by a CAT cable. In flrig, I have the FT-450D selected, PTT via CAT checked and RTS/CTS checked.

Is there another option to select when using the SignaLink USB that I should have selected, to use VOX instead of PTT via CAT?

73 John
KC4LZN

Dave

Your problem is most likely caused by the SignaLink.  It is causing the PTT line to be toggled.  Set the delay potentiometer for a longer delay.  You could probably remove the PTT jumper on the internal SignaLink jumper block.  The CAT PTT generated by flrig is sufficient.

David

On 08/16/2018 08:22 AM, kc4lzn@... wrote:
[...]

More things to do when I get home. Thanks for the input. Didn't even think about the delay. As for the jumper, I have the Plug and Play jumper installed. I will pull up Tigertronics site to see if that is defaulted in place and if so, I'll have to go back to manual jumpers.

John

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 9:36 AM Dave <w1hkj@...> wrote:
[...]

k4pwo <k4pwo@...>

The Signalink USB uses internal VOX PTT.  You can increase the delay setting to make it stay keyed longer and hopefully prevent some of the clatter.

Perry K4PWO

[...]

You can bend the PTT pin on the P&P module outward so it doesn’t go in the socket.  CAT PTT will be much more reliable if Fldigi supports the “alternate” PTT command (for audio on the rear panel versus mike audio) or it may be a menu option in the rig.

Perry K4PWO

[...]

Before updating the software, which I will do, I adjusted the Delay on the Signalink between 9 and 10 and it worked. Thanks for the sanity check.

73 John
KC4LZN