Topics

Automating FLDIGI From Another Application

kk5it@...

Please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but I did not see it. Can FLDIGI (once configured of course), be automated by specifying something like the path to the executable and one or more arguments for sending a csv file?

The scenario is for an event we support tracking 100 runners. The net control station has a laptop they do tracking on in Excel. The race team built a macro that generates a web page from the data and uploads it to the race website so crew and support staff can track runners via internet. Where we are there on the course, there is no cellular/internet service so I was wondering if I could setup something and build it into the same macro they use as an extra step that could call FLDIGI, send the file, and close FLDIGI.

Otherwise, I am guessing I could just update their Excel macro to also output a csv file and then build a macro in FLDIGI using <FILE:> and then let net control to pick the csv outputted by Excel to send?

Bob Cameron

Possibly fldigi-shell?

For example launch (or leave running) fldigi then have it run a numbered macro using fldigi-shell. I do this regularly from a Linux shell script, but it should also work from Windows (perl).

Example;

fldigi-shell -c "main.run_macro 44"

Runs the macro from macros.mdf (the default) that is specified by /$ 44

In your case the macro would be written to TX the relevant CSV file, plus any other setup info like modem to use, operating freq etc. Only issue would be if more than one CSV is generated per fldigi TX session. A shell command within the macro could be used to handle/queue for this case. There would be no need to kill the fldigi instance.

flamp under fldigi can also be used to automate sending (say) the contents of a directory. I use to use this to send jpg images and compressed gpx files as I travel. In your case date stamped CSV's that a shell script ages (removes old) would work.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

On 30/09/18 06:49, kk5it@... wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

Dave

Excellent answer Bob.  Hope your having safe travels in VK land.

Dave

On 30/09/18 06:49, kk5it@... wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the quick answer Bob. Not sure I would have time to do it for this event next weekend with my work schedule this week, but good to know it can be done so perhaps I can work on testing it and have it ready by next year. Any recommendations for sound card interfaces that may work well for anyone of the hams on our course that would like to also receive the files, but may not have an interface like a SignaLink?

Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...>

Regarding the question about sound card to Interfaces , many modern transceivers have audio codecs that no longer necessitate an external sound card interface . For those that have older radios , the Microham Microkeyer devices work well . Also look for Rigblaster
Andy K3UK

On Sep 29, 2018, at 8:32 PM, kk5it@... wrote:

Thanks for the quick answer Bob. Not sure I would have time to do it for this event next weekend with my work schedule this week, but good to know it can be done so perhaps I can work on testing it and have it ready by next year. Any recommendations for sound card interfaces that may work well for anyone of the hams on our course that would like to also receive the files, but may not have an interface like a SignaLink?

kk5it@...

Thanks Andrew. Trying to figure out the best and also the quickest way to get FLDIGI into use in our area and being able to use for public service events. Are there any specifics that will tell me whether a radio is going to need an interface so I can help people determine that? I have an older Alinco I use with a SignaLink myself that I used for an EchoLink RF-IS gateway and have used for NBEMS on ARES nets in South Florida when I lived there several years ago.

k4pwo

If the radio has a USB port on the rear panel it probably has internal sound device as well as virtual serial ports for CAT and PTT.

Perry K4PWO

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.