Topics

AndFlmsg version 1.3.5 is a GPS Battery HOG

David Aitcheson KB3EFS <kb3efs.dave@...>

John,

Your forcing the use of the GPS in the phone WITHOUT it returning to the previous state that the GPS was in before starting AndFlmsg has me UNINSTALLING IT.

I'll load it and use it as needed, but it leaving the GPS in BATTERY SUPER SUCKER MODE ran my phone battery (that is only two months old) from 100% to 0% in just over an hour. That is NOT good.

KB3EFS

John (vk2eta)

David,

Have you tried going to the settings/GPS TIME and deselect "Use GPS Time"?

Just to make sure, follow the above by an app exit and relaunch for a complete reset of the GPS use.

73, John

John (vk2eta)

David,

Further information on the subject as this is not the behavior on my devices.

I also double checked the code and the GPS updates are switched off when the app is exited.

Are you sure you exited the app by using the menu (three dots at the top), then exit as this is the only way the app is terminated? Merely going back to the main screen by pressing the home button does NOT stop the app as it is designed to work in the background decoding digital data (and using the GPS if selected in the settings). Letting the app run, especially a CPU demanding mode, will increase consumption significantly as described in the manual.

You are notified that the modem is running by the presence an icon in the notifications at the top of the device. The icon looks like a grey or yellow antenna icon. The icon is removed if either the modem is stopped within the app OR the app is fully exited.

As an aside, the power consumption of the modem decoders is normally far superior to the GPS consumption as GPS reads, when enabled, are scheduled for a few seconds every minute, so they should have minimal battery impact.

Please let us know what you find.

73, John

David Aitcheson KB3EFS <kb3efs.dave@...>

John,

App re-installed. Set and unset "Use GPS Time" then exiting app both with the "close all button" and from the "3 dot" menu. GPS indicator (and battery hogging) go off with menu based exit.

More in response to next email...

Dave

On 7/31/19 11:41 PM, John (vk2eta) wrote:
David,

Have you tried going to the settings/GPS TIME and deselect "Use GPS Time"?

Just to make sure, follow the above by an app exit and relaunch for a complete reset of the GPS use.

73, John

David Aitcheson KB3EFS <kb3efs.dave@...>

John,

Reply items interlaced below...

On 8/1/19 1:14 AM, John (vk2eta) wrote:
David,

Further information on the subject as this is not the behavior on my devices.

That is good, I am using a "Samsung Galaxy J3 Orbit" that was running Andriod version 8 at the time including the checks you requested. Once I figure out all the changes that Android 9 has introduced I'll check the app out again.

I also double checked the code and the GPS updates are switched off when the app is exited.

Are you sure you exited the app by using the menu (three dots at the top), then exit as this is the only way the app is terminated?

Well... I am now but I had missed that at first as ALL other apps that I have just close down totally using the "Close All" function button.

Merely going back to the main screen by pressing the home button does NOT stop the app as it is designed to work in the background decoding digital data (and using the GPS if selected in the settings).

I have no problem with the app running in foreground or background, it was the leaving the GPS up and the draining of the battery by the GPS that caught me off guard.

Letting the app run, especially a CPU demanding mode, will increase consumption significantly as described in the manual.

You are notified that the modem is running by the presence an icon in the notifications at the top of the device. The icon looks like a grey or yellow antenna icon. The icon is removed if either the modem is stopped within the app OR the app is fully exited.

I never saw that "antenna" just the GPS indicator, and the phone management app "screaming" at me that an app was killing my battery about a minute before the phone died; which was about an hour after I first looked at the app right after I installed it.

As an aside, the power consumption of the modem decoders is normally far superior to the GPS consumption as GPS reads, when enabled, are scheduled for a few seconds every minute, so they should have minimal battery impact.

That is to be expected and I would most likely be running with an external power source feeding the phone for a "belt & suspenders" approach.

Please let us know what you find.

73, John
_._,_._,_

KB3EFS

John (vk2eta)

Hi Dave,

Glad it's working ok now.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I had to handle the app navigation differently to other apps due to the way Android handles apps when shifted to the background. The modem has to be kept running in case we navigate away from it temporarily.

Google is waging a fight against high battery usage apps which is fine in itself but has to be managed for specific cases like our software modems.

Based on your experience I will make sure the default at install time if off for the GPS time option.

73, John (VK2ETA)

John (vk2eta)

Also, I would install the new version (1.3.7) that was released to fix the notification icon issue.

73, John