Topics

Shortwave Radiogram all-Olivia-64-2000 transmission this weekend

kd9xb

The Shortwave Radiogram broadcast Sundays at 2330-2400 UTC on 11580 kHz from WRMI Florida has lately experienced poor reception in most parts of the world. For this reason, this transmission on Sunday, 26 November will be all in Olivia 64-2000. This is a very slow mode (about 28 wpm) but robust in difficult conditions. It could be an interesting test of the limits of HF.

The other three broadcasts of Shortwave Radiogram will be in the usual MFSK32 (120 wpm), with four images.

Details and schedule ...

http://swradiogram.net/post/167832601397/shortwave-radiogram-25-26-november-2017-fun-with

Kim
KD9XB

kd9xb

The Olivia 64-2000 experiment is soon at 2330Z -- 6:30 pm EST -- on 11580 kHz from WRMI Florida.

Wishing you bad reception (otherwise the experiment won't be very interesting).

Kim
KD9XB

Ron

Hi Kim,

So far I have a 30 over reading on the S meter on 11580 kHz here near Philadelphia.  What a time for great propagation :-)

Good reception of the 2030 UTC broadcast.  100% copy on all text and images.

Thanks for the activity and 73, Ron NY3J

On 11/26/2017 5:26 PM, kd9xb wrote:
The Olivia 64-2000 experiment is soon at 2330Z -- 6:30 pm EST -- on 11580 kHz from WRMI Florida.

Wishing you bad reception (otherwise the experiment won't be very interesting).

Kim
KD9XB

W. T. Jones

If this is "BAD" propagation then I would like more of it.

While waiting I switched to AM to enjoy the programming from Radio Malta.

The signal in Northeastern PA really not going to test the Olivia modem if it stays this good.

Regards,

WT
Real heroes do not wear capes. They wear dog tags, turnout gear, and badges!

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Ron <rwenig@...> wrote:
Hi Kim,

So far I have a 30 over reading on the S meter on 11580 kHz here near Philadelphia.  What a time for great propagation :-)

Good reception of the 2030 UTC broadcast.  100% copy on all text and images.

Thanks for the activity and 73, Ron NY3J

On 11/26/2017 5:26 PM, kd9xb wrote:
The Olivia 64-2000 experiment is soon at 2330Z -- 6:30 pm EST -- on 11580 kHz from WRMI Florida.

Wishing you bad reception (otherwise the experiment won't be very interesting).

Kim
KD9XB

kd9xb

The 11580 kHz signal is really bad down here in Virginia.

I will decode here and via SDR in Tasmania, Australia.

Ron

Kim,

Between 17:30 and 18:00 eastern I stopped hearing WMRI almost immediately.  Is there just a break in the transmission or did propagation change that quickly?

Ron NY3J

On 11/26/2017 6:19 PM, kd9xb wrote:
The 11580 kHz signal is really bad down here in Virginia.

I will decode here and via SDR in Tasmania, Australia.

W. T. Jones

Same here in Duryea PA.

Dropped like a rock.

I am still copying the Olivia 64-2K though I can't hear the audio at all.

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Ron <rwenig@...> wrote:
Kim,

Between 17:30 and 18:00 eastern I stopped hearing WMRI almost immediately.  Is there just a break in the transmission or did propagation change that quickly?

Ron NY3J

On 11/26/2017 6:19 PM, kd9xb wrote:
The 11580 kHz signal is really bad down here in Virginia.

I will decode here and via SDR in Tasmania, Australia.

Ron

Hi WT,

Well, I am copying bits and pieces here.  I fired up the other computer and followed Kim over to the SDR in Tasmania, Australia and copying about 50% there on Fldigi.  Fired up another instance of Fldigi and connected to the Web SDR in Brazil and now copying more.  The Web SDR's are very interesting.  Sometimes I cheat when I'm net control on the Pa NBEMS net and will have another Fldigi running and receiving the Web SDR in Milford, Pa, K3FEF.

I've been finding out that Web SDR runs ok on my Linux computer but my Windows computer it gives me buffer overruns and stops receiving audio.

Kim, hopefully you copied the Web SDR in Tasmania, Australia ok.

73, Ron NY3J

On 11/26/2017 6:51 PM, W. T. Jones wrote:
Same here in Duryea PA.

Dropped like a rock.

I am still copying the Olivia 64-2K though I can't hear the audio at all.

Regards,

WT
Real heroes do not wear capes. They wear dog tags, turnout gear, and badges!

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Ron <rwenig@...> wrote:
Kim,

Between 17:30 and 18:00 eastern I stopped hearing WMRI almost immediately.  Is there just a break in the transmission or did propagation change that quickly?

Ron NY3J

On 11/26/2017 6:19 PM, kd9xb wrote:
The 11580 kHz signal is really bad down here in Virginia.

I will decode here and via SDR in Tasmania, Australia.

W. T. Jones

Ron and Kim,

Decode here was 'almost flawless' with just a few hits and an operator error that lost a bit of the beginning. My bad....

The Fldigi log of the xmsn is attached and hopefully groups.io won't delete it.

Good job Kim! Too bad Trump went Radio Silent. I still enjoy listening to recordings of Roosevelt and Reagan's radio broadcasts.

And no I was not alive for Roosevelt's Fireside Chats. Ron might have been but not me.

A great week to all!

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Ron <rwenig@...> wrote:
[...]

Al Massaro

Decode was good in NW NM DM66, couple of hiccups but nothing major.
AL M
KF5SMH

kd9xb

Thanks for the reports!

My reception and decode via Tasmania deteriorated during the half hour.

Direct to my Virginia QTH, it improved.

A worthwhile experiment.  I might try it again next weekend with other robust modes, such as MFSK8.  Or go *very* slow with Olivia 128-2000.

Kim
KD9XB

Paul Newman

Hi, Kim.

The band rolled off very rapidly here in Richardson, Texas (EM12px) shortly before the 2330 UTC SWRG transmission.  So, no decode.  Let’s try again, perhaps on a different time slot.

Thank you and 73,

Paul — KA5TYW