Topics

NBEMS bug or question

"Allison Parent" <kb1gmx@...>

I added the software V1.2 to my system and found an annoying bug.

The digi software does not resize to less than a full screen with
overhang. Makes using the buttons and sliders along the edges
hard to use.

Any thoughts?

System is W98se hybrid (no IE/OE and W95 gui). This is a fully
tested system with a larger group of Digi modes.

Allison
KB1GMX

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>

You just might be pushing the limits of antiquity Allison. What size is your screen? The software was designed to run on W98 through Vista, but you are the first to report trying this with a W95 hybrid. VB6 handles all screen dimensions in Twips. The minimum width for the application is 7500 Twips. That will correspond to a different number of pixels depending on your screen width in pixels. It has been run successfully on screen sizes of 1024x768 and up. Are you using something smaller than that?

Dave, W1HKJ

"Allison Parent" <kb1gmx@...>

--- In NBEMSham@..., w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

You just might be pushing the limits of antiquity Allison. What
size is
your screen? The software was designed to run on W98 through Vista,
but
you are the first to report trying this with a W95 hybrid. VB6 handles
all screen dimensions in Twips. The minimum width for the application
is 7500 Twips. That will correspond to a different number of pixels
depending on your screen width in pixels. It has been run successfully
on screen sizes of 1024x768 and up. Are you using something smaller
than that?

Dave, W1HKJ
The screen in use is a CRT that will go pop if I ask the card to do
more than 800x600. If I switch to the flat panel it sill looks poor
at 1280x1024 and doesn't resize. The system in use (98hybrid) has
a good and very flexible video card in it. The program runs fine
otherwise and the CPU isn't even working hard.

When tried on the WIn2k box and the XP box the problem was the screen
has two sizes large and way too large with no resize. That was viewed
on a screen that was 1600x1200. I expect windows apps to resize
when I grab a side or corner and the copy I have does not do this.

That size issue made it unusable on the laptop that was also limited
to 800x600.

Hope that helps with the explanation.

roger g6ckr <radio@...>

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 16:39 -0600, w1hkj wrote:
You just might be pushing the limits of antiquity Allison. What size is
your screen? The software was designed to run on W98 through Vista, but
you are the first to report trying this with a W95 hybrid. VB6 handles
all screen dimensions in Twips. The minimum width for the application
is 7500 Twips. That will correspond to a different number of pixels
depending on your screen width in pixels. It has been run successfully
on screen sizes of 1024x768 and up. Are you using something smaller
than that?

Dave, W1HKJ
Hi.
I just tested on a 500Mhz win98 laptop.
with bit of fiddling I can get what looks like a usable screen with
800x600 and the even lower screen size of 640x480.
by dragging the window about to get to the edges I manged to size it to
fit.
I then tried maximising it and that also made it fit.
I hope that is useful.
73 Roger G6CKR

"Rich Newsom" <richwa4sxz@...>

I just fired up the old reliable Win98se test bed and set a 640x480
and had no problem resizing the window to lsee than half of the
screen. This on a P1-200mmx processor w 132M of SDram. Video is old
Matrox Mystique with 4M of ram. I still have a Win95 box with a 1
gig scsi drive to hook up but the dust storm when I start it may
drive me out of the shack.

Try selecting a different font, see what happens. I have a large font
selected so I can monitor while across the room. I've left this
setup running NBEMS & Rigcat for 3 days continuous without ever
missing a thing.

Rich
WA4SXZ

--- In NBEMSham@..., roger g6ckr <radio@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry no.

Minimized is 99% full screen and no resize. Maximized fills teh screen
but I expect that as normal.

What I can't do is grab a corner and shorten or make the screen
narrower at all. This is a problem as if there something on the
desktop I need I have to minimize to taskbar rather than have it at
and edge where I can pick it up.

Allison

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>

The vbdigi application is resizeable to a minimum size that fits on an 800x600 screen as several other users have indicated.

Resize mouse cursors should appear when the cursor in on any edge or corner of the main dialog. It's been a long long time since I looked at W98, but you should also be able to open a windows menu by clicking in the upper left hand corner icon. One of those menu items should be Size as well as Move.

73, Dave W1HKJ

"Allison Parent" <kb1gmx@...>

Well, I downloaded and tried the Puppy Linux live CD version and
that impressed me greatly. It loaded on everything I tried it on
even an older P166/mmx with 128mb and ran very well. The FLdigi
did everything I asked of it. Runs on IBM t21 laptop very well
and I plan to try it on a slower machine to see its tolerence.

Allison