Topics

/W Sound Blaster Live Value

"Sam Saladino" <ortracr@...>

I built this computer about 10 years ago and it's growing whiskers,
but still does about 95% of what I want it to. The sound card I'm
using is the old Creative Labs Sound Blaster LIVE Value. Just in case
someone else is using this card and it's driving you nuts, I thought
I'd include this information. Last week when I first installed the
NBEMS Suite I hooked it up through the LINE IN jack on my soundcard.
For the first couple of days I could hear the signals coming through
my speakers, but nothing was showing up on the VBdigi display. Friday
morning I thought I'd take another look and I was surprised to find
the Waterfalls being displayed all over the place. Another attempt
later on Friday again showed nothing.

Today I've un-installed and reinstalled the programs several times
with no change.. still no waterfalls. I'd move the patch cord from the
LINE IN to Microphone In and get the waterfalls, but every time I went
back to LINE IN, nothing. So I thought I'd come here to see if anyone
else had posted a similar problem, and while glancing through the
posts stumbled across the solution on my own. In the Creative Surround
Mixer program, on the far right is the recording control that you use
to choose which input the recording portion of the program will use to
record. I clicked on that and changed from Microphone Input to LINE
IN and there were the Waterfalls showing up all over the display
again. So apparently even if you see and hear them, they won't go to
the NBEMS program unless that selection is made, at least on this card.

73s
Sam NW9T

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>

Thanks for the info Sam. That card is also problematic on Linux.

73, Dave, W1HKJ

"Frank Krasnicki" <k1cru@...>

--- In NBEMSham@..., w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:

Thanks for the info Sam. That card is also problematic on Linux.

73, Dave, W1HKJ
I had a lot of noise using this card. I finally gave up on it and for
$30 I bought an iMic USB sound adapter. It's got line in and speaker
out and plugs into the USB port. It got the audio out of the PC noise
environment and gave me nice clean xmit and receive signals.
Frank
K1CRU

"Sam Saladino" <ortracr@...>

One more piece of information I can pass along about this sound card.
When I first hooked up my Line-Out to transceiver patch cord, I had
no signal getting to the rig. I switched over to the speaker out, but
even with the volume to as low as I could get, it was overdriving the
transceiver. It turns out the LINE OUT actually doubles as the rear
speakers out when your computer is set up for 4 speakers. To activate
the LINE OUT you have to go into your "Surround Sound Mixer" and
change the setting from the standard two speaker set-up to 4 speakers.
I haven't actually tried a QSO yet, but did a test and everything
appears to be working fine. Using the LINE OUT made a big difference
in controllability of the transceiver over Speaker Out. I was
planning on stringing up a 40 meter NVIS to try it out there, but with
the Sub-Zero temps forecast for this week-end, I think I'll stick to
the attic dipoles for now.

73s
Sam NW9T