Topics

%20flmsg%204.0.10%20%26%20American%20Red%20Cross

 

Removal of ARC Form 5739 from the current version of flmsg (4.0.10) should be reconsidered.  In my opinion, this is the format in which the magnitude of the disaster is first assessed and ham radio operators may be first on the scene well before a Red Cross shelter operation is commenced.  There have been some changes made to Form 5739 over the years although the essential information is basically the same.
 
The new forms to be downloaded are applicable primarily to shelter operations.  I noticed these forms were coded in html4 which precludes the pop-up date calendar and time selector in html5 as well as other format input types.  I also noticed that some forms contain selection boxes which were incorrectly coded as checkboxes and not as radio buttons in which only one of a set could be selected.
 
Although Dave does indicate that the new html forms are CUSTOM forms with the correct folder location, the other information, including the zip file, calls them templates -- which is incorrect.  I believe that true templates would be called up from a Plaintext form selection while the html forms would be called up from a CUSTOM form selection.
 
Incidentally it is only necessary to download the zip file, not each form individually.
 
The old "Welfare" form is essentially the "Safe and Well" form in the new custom set but neither one directly addresses the Red Cross Safe and Well internet entry.  I would hope that there would be some way that a html delivery of the Safe and Well form could be directly transferred to the Red Cross internet site and not require retyping all the same information.  I do not have the knowledge to do this.
 
73,
John Lemmer, W6FQX
ARC Volunteer

B Anderson
 

My 2 cents

I would recommend keeping it

#1 Is there any "cost" in terms of space or functionality keeping it? 
     If not, why not keep it

#2 I was taught "First In / First Out" when responses are being allocated, and that includes insurance claims
    
After the Sayer Fire, one of our team was sent by ARC to assess the damage
There was so little left it was difficult or impossible to know the address
This is the form he used

He did not need to use NBEMS as the surrounding infrastructure had not been compromised

After a major earthquake, the ARC Form 5739 will probably be the best way to share detailed/granular information that can be tabulated

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 2:58 PM John Lemmer W6FQX <w6fqx@...> wrote:
Removal of ARC Form 5739 from the current version of flmsg (4.0.10) should be reconsidered.  In my opinion, this is the format in which the magnitude of the disaster is first assessed and ham radio operators may be first on the scene well before a Red Cross shelter operation is commenced.  There have been some changes made to Form 5739 over the years although the essential information is basically the same.
 
The new forms to be downloaded are applicable primarily to shelter operations.  I noticed these forms were coded in html4 which precludes the pop-up date calendar and time selector in html5 as well as other format input types.  I also noticed that some forms contain selection boxes which were incorrectly coded as checkboxes and not as radio buttons in which only one of a set could be selected.
 
Although Dave does indicate that the new html forms are CUSTOM forms with the correct folder location, the other information, including the zip file, calls them templates -- which is incorrect.  I believe that true templates would be called up from a Plaintext form selection while the html forms would be called up from a CUSTOM form selection.
 
Incidentally it is only necessary to download the zip file, not each form individually.
 
The old "Welfare" form is essentially the "Safe and Well" form in the new custom set but neither one directly addresses the Red Cross Safe and Well internet entry.  I would hope that there would be some way that a html delivery of the Safe and Well form could be directly transferred to the Red Cross internet site and not require retyping all the same information.  I do not have the knowledge to do this.
 
73,
John Lemmer, W6FQX
ARC Volunteer



--
B Anderson
K 6 TI

n6med@...
 

Mr. Anderson -

If by Sayer you mean the Sayre Fire (aka Sylmar Fire)  in 2008, I suspect things might have changed significantly since then, I've been deploying on the big fires we've been having up here in NorCal and the Red Cross, to the best of my knowledge, has not been deploying any teams, Red Cross or Event Based Volunteers (EBVs) to assess damage. Rather that appears to be firmly in the hands of CalFire and FEMA now (clearly the case for the Carr and Camp Fires).

In direct conversation with and idea solicitation of the prime movers in our region (i.e., Disaster Program Managers), the forms/templates/whatever anyone wants to call them now in the flmsg library represent the information that would be authored by Red Cross personnel and have to be communicated between a service site and the Disaster Operations Center.

Jim / n6med
Red Cross  registered volunteer

B Anderson
 

Jim

Thanks for that info.

Are you suggesting the FEMA IA Street Sheet should replace it?

Is there anyone that can speak to the damage assessment that is taking place in the large areas of the country that are dealing with flooding?
Which groups/agencies are doing the assessments?
What forms are they using?

Bryce


On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM <n6med@...> wrote:
Mr. Anderson -

If by Sayer you mean the Sayre Fire (aka Sylmar Fire)  in 2008, I suspect things might have changed significantly since then, I've been deploying on the big fires we've been having up here in NorCal and the Red Cross, to the best of my knowledge, has not been deploying any teams, Red Cross or Event Based Volunteers (EBVs) to assess damage. Rather that appears to be firmly in the hands of CalFire and FEMA now (clearly the case for the Carr and Camp Fires).

In direct conversation with and idea solicitation of the prime movers in our region (i.e., Disaster Program Managers), the forms/templates/whatever anyone wants to call them now in the flmsg library represent the information that would be authored by Red Cross personnel and have to be communicated between a service site and the Disaster Operations Center.

Jim / n6med
Red Cross  registered volunteer



--
B Anderson
K 6 TI

n6med@...
 

I can't say re FEMA's work sheet nor what other agencies are involved in other states. Through recent experience I can only speak to what's happening here in CA. CalFire is using its personnel with boots-on-the-ground to survey damage and record the Lat and Long of eye-balled damage and destruction then transferring the data to street maps it posts on-line. When clients come to us (and other ngo's) for help, we verify that they have/had a residence that was destroyed.

For answers as to who is doing what in the area of disasters (e.g., the flooding you mentioned), I think the best source would be the OES for affected county(ies) and state. That's where the responsibility starts.

When I responded a couple of years ago to the Sabine R. flooding in south TX, the local JP declared what areas were "totally destroyed." So, we went accordingly with the addresses in the zone/area he declared.

I'm guarded re what might be included something like flmsg (or Winlink). We, the ARC, has a data base known as "The Exchange" that is a compendium of everything from sop to nuts for disaster response, including forms and worksheets. For example, there is the Safe and Well individual registration form that can be filled out either directly by a client or with the help of an ARC volunteer. Then there is the Safe and Well "Helper" Excel spreadsheet for compiling registrants and forwarding upstairs for posting to the S&W web site. (Recall if you were solicited by the ARRL to go to Hurricane Maria/Puerto Rico to forward this spreadsheet.)

Hope that helps.
-- Jim

david flad
 

At least here in PA ( a Commonwealth state), damage assessments are done locally, at the County Level, and at the State level depending on scope and severity.  Who does the assessment is primarily the responsibility of someone in emergency management.

This is based on accountability to the community and for resource and impact assessments for disaster declarations and such that trigger state and federal funding for response and recovery activities.

Regards,

David Flad / KB3YCK 
Emergency Coordinator 
Chester County ARES/RACES, Pennsylvania

Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator
New London Township, PA

On Jun 20, 2019, at 19:57, B Anderson <Bryce2001@...> wrote:

Jim

Thanks for that info.

Are you suggesting the FEMA IA Street Sheet should replace it?

Is there anyone that can speak to the damage assessment that is taking place in the large areas of the country that are dealing with flooding?
Which groups/agencies are doing the assessments?
What forms are they using?

Bryce

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM <n6med@...> wrote:
Mr. Anderson -

If by Sayer you mean the Sayre Fire (aka Sylmar Fire)  in 2008, I suspect things might have changed significantly since then, I've been deploying on the big fires we've been having up here in NorCal and the Red Cross, to the best of my knowledge, has not been deploying any teams, Red Cross or Event Based Volunteers (EBVs) to assess damage. Rather that appears to be firmly in the hands of CalFire and FEMA now (clearly the case for the Carr and Camp Fires).

In direct conversation with and idea solicitation of the prime movers in our region (i.e., Disaster Program Managers), the forms/templates/whatever anyone wants to call them now in the flmsg library represent the information that would be authored by Red Cross personnel and have to be communicated between a service site and the Disaster Operations Center.

Jim / n6med
Red Cross  registered volunteer



--
B Anderson
K 6 TI

B Anderson
 

David

That matches with what I read on the FEMA DA Handbook

Do you know if PA uses the FEMA IA Street Sheet?

In any case, the FEMA IA Street Sheet should be accepted by most agencies.

Bryce


On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 6:14 AM david flad <kb3yck@...> wrote:
At least here in PA ( a Commonwealth state), damage assessments are done locally, at the County Level, and at the State level depending on scope and severity.  Who does the assessment is primarily the responsibility of someone in emergency management.

This is based on accountability to the community and for resource and impact assessments for disaster declarations and such that trigger state and federal funding for response and recovery activities.

Regards,

David Flad / KB3YCK 
Emergency Coordinator 
Chester County ARES/RACES, Pennsylvania

Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator
New London Township, PA

On Jun 20, 2019, at 19:57, B Anderson <Bryce2001@...> wrote:

Jim

Thanks for that info.

Are you suggesting the FEMA IA Street Sheet should replace it?

Is there anyone that can speak to the damage assessment that is taking place in the large areas of the country that are dealing with flooding?
Which groups/agencies are doing the assessments?
What forms are they using?

Bryce

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM <n6med@...> wrote:
Mr. Anderson -

If by Sayer you mean the Sayre Fire (aka Sylmar Fire)  in 2008, I suspect things might have changed significantly since then, I've been deploying on the big fires we've been having up here in NorCal and the Red Cross, to the best of my knowledge, has not been deploying any teams, Red Cross or Event Based Volunteers (EBVs) to assess damage. Rather that appears to be firmly in the hands of CalFire and FEMA now (clearly the case for the Carr and Camp Fires).

In direct conversation with and idea solicitation of the prime movers in our region (i.e., Disaster Program Managers), the forms/templates/whatever anyone wants to call them now in the flmsg library represent the information that would be authored by Red Cross personnel and have to be communicated between a service site and the Disaster Operations Center.

Jim / n6med
Red Cross  registered volunteer



--
B Anderson
K 6 TI



--
B Anderson
K 6 TI