Date   

Re: learning, fun, some trouble

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>
 

w1pid wrote:

Been experimenting - I'm using the Puppy Linux
EMCpup version. Been communicating with a nearby
ham who's using NBEMS version. very neat.
here's something we're both having trouble with.
Incoming email is going to /root/Mail/ARQin
but it's not showing up in Sylpheed ARQin folder.
Tried refreshing. /root/Mail is configured as
the default, so I'm a bit baffled.
We were working with PSK250. Incredibly fast.
lost connection now and then without explanation.
We were on HF 10 meters with strong signals and
no interference at all. but we having a ball
and making friends with the software. thanks all.
Jim W1PID

The disappearing files has to do with Sylpheed file naming convention for it's folders.  Next version of flarq will correct that problem for the Sylpheed users.

Dave


Re: learning, fun, some trouble

Ed <autek@...>
 

w1pid wrote:
Been experimenting - I'm using the Puppy Linux
EMCpup version. Been communicating with a nearby
ham who's using NBEMS version. very neat.
here's something we're both having trouble with.
Incoming email is going to /root/Mail/ARQin
but it's not showing up in Sylpheed ARQin folder.
Tried refreshing. /root/Mail is configured as
the default, so I'm a bit baffled.
We were working with PSK250. Incredibly fast.
lost connection now and then without explanation.
We were on HF 10 meters with strong signals and
no interference at all. but we having a ball
and making friends with the software. thanks all.
Jim W1PID

Jim ,does your configure window look like the attached. This is my setup and it works just fine.

Ed W3NR


learning, fun, some trouble

"w1pid" <w1pid@...>
 

Been experimenting - I'm using the Puppy Linux
EMCpup version. Been communicating with a nearby
ham who's using NBEMS version. very neat.
here's something we're both having trouble with.
Incoming email is going to /root/Mail/ARQin
but it's not showing up in Sylpheed ARQin folder.
Tried refreshing. /root/Mail is configured as
the default, so I'm a bit baffled.
We were working with PSK250. Incredibly fast.
lost connection now and then without explanation.
We were on HF 10 meters with strong signals and
no interference at all. but we having a ball
and making friends with the software. thanks all.
Jim W1PID


Re: soundcard question

Michael Johnson <michaelkj77@...>
 

The Tigertronics was only recently received after waiting on backorder for a month.  This is the first time I've had it connected to anything.  Something could have happened during installation and configuration to cause Windows to think the device was already there I suppose.  Hard to say.  In any event, it all works, NBEMS sc #2 designation not withstanding so I'm happy.  Looking forward to testing soon.  Should be interesting.

roger g6ckr wrote:

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 06:13 -0700, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Okay, now I understand. You were asking about the camera with audio
> because you felt it might be next in line after the default sound
> card. As such, it would occupy the "SC #1" slot on the vbdigi config
> window with the Tigertronics falling to "SC #2". Since the audio on
> the camera would only be input and not output, vbdigi would find it as
> a device but wouldn't be able to communicate out through it resulting
> in the error. Correct?
>
> I'm still not sure why "SC #1 is unoccupied, or at least seemingly so,
> with my Tigertronics falling to "SC #2" but as long as it works, I'm
> fine with it.
>
> Thanks for the input. I'm learning a great deal as I go.
>
> Michael
Spot on that was my thinking.
I had similar on my Linux box.
Unfortunately the only windows on a machine with two sound cards is a
virtual machine which is only allowed one sound card in it's setup so I
can't even try to recreate your problem.
The only other thought is that the tiger has been in a different USB
port at some time and windows is holding it's place in case it comes
back.
73 Roger



Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.


Re: soundcard question

roger g6ckr <radio@...>
 

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 06:13 -0700, Michael Johnson wrote:
Okay, now I understand. You were asking about the camera with audio
because you felt it might be next in line after the default sound
card. As such, it would occupy the "SC #1" slot on the vbdigi config
window with the Tigertronics falling to "SC #2". Since the audio on
the camera would only be input and not output, vbdigi would find it as
a device but wouldn't be able to communicate out through it resulting
in the error. Correct?

I'm still not sure why "SC #1 is unoccupied, or at least seemingly so,
with my Tigertronics falling to "SC #2" but as long as it works, I'm
fine with it.

Thanks for the input. I'm learning a great deal as I go.

Michael
Spot on that was my thinking.
I had similar on my Linux box.
Unfortunately the only windows on a machine with two sound cards is a
virtual machine which is only allowed one sound card in it's setup so I
can't even try to recreate your problem.
The only other thought is that the tiger has been in a different USB
port at some time and windows is holding it's place in case it comes
back.
73 Roger


Re: soundcard question

Michael Johnson <michaelkj77@...>
 

Okay, now I understand.  You were asking about the camera with audio because you felt it might be next in line after the default sound card.  As such, it would occupy the "SC #1" slot on the vbdigi config window with the Tigertronics falling to "SC #2".  Since the audio on the camera would only be input and not output, vbdigi would find it as a device but wouldn't be able to communicate out through it resulting in the error.  Correct? 

I'm still not sure why "SC #1 is unoccupied, or at least seemingly so, with my Tigertronics falling to "SC #2" but as long as it works, I'm fine with it. 

Thanks for the input.  I'm learning a great deal as I go.

Michael

roger g6ckr wrote:

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 18:12 -0700, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Do I have a web cam with a built in mic? Uh...no, but I might be able
> to find one. Why do you ask?
Sorry bashed it off quick before tuning in ready for an early start.
I should have expanded reasoning.

A possible reason for the second source to be taken and you finding the
card you wanted on the third.
As its only audio in, it does not respond the the outgoing requests and
so causes the error message.
But in your case not the reason as you say you don't have one.
73 Roger
G6CKR



Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.


Re: soundcard question

roger g6ckr <radio@...>
 

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 18:12 -0700, Michael Johnson wrote:
Do I have a web cam with a built in mic? Uh...no, but I might be able
to find one. Why do you ask?
Sorry bashed it off quick before tuning in ready for an early start.
I should have expanded reasoning.

A possible reason for the second source to be taken and you finding the
card you wanted on the third.
As its only audio in, it does not respond the the outgoing requests and
so causes the error message.
But in your case not the reason as you say you don't have one.
73 Roger
G6CKR


Re: Question the e-mail part of NBEMS

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>
 

Rick wrote:

Thanks to Ed, W3NR and Jim, WA0LYK, as it would have taken me a long
time to try and configure the Sylpheed e-mail program.

I am using only Windows at this time for NBEMS and do not plan to use
Linux as this is a dual boot for experimental use and when I am in Linux
I can not run my regular ham programs which are not available on Linux.

Here is my cookbook approach to setting up e-mail with Sylpheed on MS XP:

1. With Sylpheed booted, go to Configuration - Edit Accounts and
Select Add button (Preferences for new account opens)
2. Name of this account - [enter an identifier which could be your
callsign or for emergencies maybe location such as HS Shelter?]
3. I checked the Set as default box but this may not be necessary
4. You must enter your Mail address. It will not allow outgoing messages
without it.
5. Click on the Protocol POP 3 drop down button and Select None (local).
This grays out Server for receiving and User ID and Password
6. Under SMTP server (send) enter your smtp server name (typically
smpt.name_of_ ISP)
7. Click on the Send tab and check the SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH) box
8. Accept the default Automatic Authentication method
9. Enter your User ID and Password

If I did not do all of these steps, I was not able to send. With these
enabled, the program worked through my ethernet cable to my router and
cable modem and I was able to send traffic out. Incoming traffic would
require additional entries and would route e-mail to that account that
you would prefer going to your normal account. Perhaps one solution
would be to have multiple e-mail accounts with the ISP but there is an
extra monthly charge for this.

Good cookbook Rick.

Here are a few suggestion.

Many of the cable and ISDN accounts provide up to 8 or more email accounts on a single service account.  You could dedicate one to for the Sylpheed / NBEMS usage.

Or you could set up Sylpheed to read but leave the messages on the server.  That way you don't loose any incoming traffic that is not intended for NBEMS work.  It will still be on the ISP server when you open your usual email client.

Dave, W1HKJ


Re: Question the e-mail part of NBEMS

Rick <mrfarm@...>
 

Thanks to Ed, W3NR and Jim, WA0LYK, as it would have taken me a long time to try and configure the Sylpheed e-mail program.

I am using only Windows at this time for NBEMS and do not plan to use Linux as this is a dual boot for experimental use and when I am in Linux I can not run my regular ham programs which are not available on Linux.

Here is my cookbook approach to setting up e-mail with Sylpheed on MS XP:

1. With Sylpheed booted, go to Configuration - Edit Accounts and Select Add button (Preferences for new account opens)
2. Name of this account - [enter an identifier which could be your callsign or for emergencies maybe location such as HS Shelter?]
3. I checked the Set as default box but this may not be necessary
4. You must enter your Mail address. It will not allow outgoing messages without it.
5. Click on the Protocol POP 3 drop down button and Select None (local). This grays out Server for receiving and User ID and Password
6. Under SMTP server (send) enter your smtp server name (typically smpt.name_of_ISP)
7. Click on the Send tab and check the SMTP Authentication (SMTP AUTH) box
8. Accept the default Automatic Authentication method
9. Enter your User ID and Password

If I did not do all of these steps, I was not able to send. With these enabled, the program worked through my ethernet cable to my router and cable modem and I was able to send traffic out. Incoming traffic would require additional entries and would route e-mail to that account that you would prefer going to your normal account. Perhaps one solution would be to have multiple e-mail accounts with the ISP but there is an extra monthly charge for this.

Hope I did not miss anything.

One other question:

It says in the documentation that Sylpheed is optimized for NBEMS. What is the difference between Sylpheed's optimization and other e-mail programs?

73,

Rick, KV9U


jgorman01 wrote:


Rick,

Here are some hints.

Number 1

You can set up a new account in Sylpheed and call it anything you
want. I used my call sign. Under the "Basic" tab select 'None
(local)' for the POP server and don't enter an address for the POP
server. Go ahead and enter the info for your SMTP server and this
will allow you to send (or forward) received emails from NBEMS through
your regular email account. Not entering the POP info means Sylpheed
won't interfere with your regular email processing.

You could set up a unique gmail account as recommended for use only
with Sylpheed. This would require digging through the gmail info for
the IMAP/SMTP info and getting all the necessary info entered into
Sylpheed. I didn't do this because I don't like having email accounts
all over the place that spammers can get into.

Number 2

Sylpheed creates a "Mail" folder in your home directory and puts
sub-folders there like inbox, sent, drafts, etc. I didn't want this
extra folder in my home directory since it is large enough already. To change this I did the following.

It also creates a 'hidden' folder in your home directory called
".sylpheed-2.0" used for setup info. I suppose each new version will
create a new hidden folder. Anyway in the /home/user/.sylpheed-2.0
folder is a file called "folderlist.xml". I edited this file using
KWrite to change the "mh" entry to
"/home/jg6164/ham_radio/fldigi/Mail". Sylpheed will now look in this
directory for its folders and will allow you to keep everything
separate from your regular email.

You will also need to edit the flarq entries to put this new path into
all of the entries.
======================

Here are two things I have discovered.
Sylpheed doesn't seem to like mail messages that have text names. The
only messages I can seem to get it to recognize are those whose names
are numbers, i.e. 1, 12, 123, etc. Has anyone else figured out
anything else?

The only way to "send" received messages is to use the forwarding
function and copy/paste the To: and the Subject: lines out of the text
of the mail message. Is this correct?

Jim
WA0LYK



Yahoo! Groups Links







Re: soundcard question

Michael Johnson <michaelkj77@...>
 

Do I have a web cam with a built in mic?  Uh...no, but I might be able to find one.  Why do you ask?
 
Michael

roger g6ckr wrote:
Don't have a web cam with built in mic do you ?
On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 05:32 -0700, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Dave,
> Thanks very much for the reply. As it turns out, the answer was right
> in front of me. In the configuration window of vbdigi, there is a
> column of radio buttons for sound card selection. The first selection
> is "windows default", followed by "sc #1", "sc #2", and "sc #3". I
> selected sc #1 thinking that would be where the Tigertronics would be
> but vbdigi popped up a window saying no sound card could be opened.
> At that point I assumed there must be some way to configure sc #1 to
> find the Tigertronics. Before digging further, I decided to try sc #2
> and that happened to work. Everything functions fine now. I'm not
> sure why vbdigi skipped sc #1 especially since the comm port assigned
> to the USB device is comm 1. That 's fine though. As long as I know
> where to find it all is well.
>
> Thanks again for the help. I'm looking forward to doing some testing
> with the hope of adding NBEMS to our ARES arsenal for county emergency
> management support.
>
> 73,
> Michael (N0VX)
>
>
> w1hkj <w1hkj@w1hkj.com> wrote:
> Michael Johnson wrote:
> > I have a Tigertronics USB with built-in soundcard. The
> > laptop I am using for EmComm also has an ESS soundcard which
> > is the Windows default. NBEMS is currently trying to tx
> > through the ESS soundcard.
> >
> > I can disable the ESS soundcard and make the Tigertronics
> > USB Codex the default if necessary. Is it possible however
> > to configure NBEMS to use the Tigertronics and find the
> > soundcard over the USB connection? In the NBEMS
> > configuration window I see options for soundcards (Windows
> > default, SC #1, SC #2, SC#3). Is there a way to specify SC
> > #1 in the configuration as the Tigertronics?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael (N0VX)
> Your setup is very similar to mine Michael. I test NBEMS on a
> Dell Dimension 3000 which has an ESS soundcard on the mother
> board and also the SignaLink USB for digital use. Windows
> will usually (but not always) set the ESS to sound card 0 and
> the SignaLinkUSB to sound card 1. Which you want as your
> windows default is configurable from the windows control
> panel. I set the ESS to the default so that windows burps and
> giggles go to the speakers. That keeps erroneous noises off
> of the air.
>
> My programming expertise is in Linux, so I am not sure how to
> ascertain the noun name of the device with the device number
> in Windows. I will do some research this evening on the
> subject. In the meantime if anyone on the list knows how to
> do that in VB6 please send me an email with the system call
> information.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 73, Dave, W1HKJ
>
>
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________________
> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.



Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.


Re: Testing last night and tonight

"kh6ty" <hteller@...>
 

Rick,

If you can figure out how to get Linux working, you can communicate similarly to NBEMS, using a PSKmail client on each end, but you cannot cross-communicate between PSKmail and NBEMS, because the ARQ implementations are somewhat different. It would take more thousands of man-hours to rewrite either system to use exactly the same ARQ, and there is just so much we can do with the manpower and time we have. WE are trying to get something that works under Windows into the field ASAP and can refine the system over the coming months.

Originally using PSKmail clients is what was planned for NBEMS, but there were too many problems with hardware support under Puppy Linux and the inabilty for some folks to burn a bootable ISO for EMCpup, so the flarq and VBdigi was developed as a navtive Windows solution. That is why there are two systems.

If fact, we do not have as many modes in VBdigi as in fldigi, so if you can get Linux to work, you have more robust modes to use on HF for NBEMS using EMCpup, such as DominoEx, which will be faster than MFSK16 and probably just as resistant to static crashes.

73, Skip KH6TY

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick" <mrfarm@...>
To: <NBEMSham@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: [NBEMSham] Testing last night and tonight


About the same here. In fact, I accidentally clicked the beacon and
managed to send out a burst that was unintended, but they happened to
catch it. N4UM then was in QSO with WA9HCZ and my monitoring alarm went
off due to them mentioning me on the air. Well ... maybe I exaggerate
some on that:)

Anyway, I have tried to use PSKmail to contact one of the four U.S. and
one Canadian PSKmail Servers. When I first tried it, I had an immediate
connect to WB5CON but my Linux X Windows crashed as I find that when I
try to use fldigi with PSKmail. the flarq add on, it will crash if I try
and enter any data into the sending screen of fldigi. If I keep away
from the fldigi program and use the auxiliary program, then I think that
it may work. But I did not have anything set up and did not quite
understand how to do this.

Having too many systems is probably not a good idea, and maybe someday
someone will be able to make a simple interface as we have seen with
other programs for emergency use and it will work with PSKmail or NBEMS
and maybe other systems. It definitely has to be drastically simpler to
set up than the current system to get widespread adoption. This assumes
that it would have a Windows analog.

I notice that your server is set up on 20 meters while everyone else is
on 10.148. I suppose this is good for some frequency diversity. Also,
your server and N5ALE both are using PSK125 rather than the PSK250 that
other stations use. Do you find that this speed is the better choice? I
would think that much of the time the 250 baud rate would be a bit fast
for 30 meters and you are closer to the MUF and running a slower speed.

73,

Rick, KV9U



Bill - N8ET wrote:
I was monitoring on 80 last night, and copied both N4UM and KH6TY here in
NW ohio very well. both were a solid 59 - nice signals! I was busy doing
other things, so all I had time to do was listen - no tx. Tonight I should be
able to join in the fun if anyone will be around from about 7 - 9:30 pm
eastern time.

If anyone is interested, I have a functional PSKmail server I can bring up if
you want to give it a try. Let me know.

3582KHz


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1323 - Release Date: 3/10/2008 11:07 AM


Re: Testing last night and tonight

Rick <mrfarm@...>
 

About the same here. In fact, I accidentally clicked the beacon and managed to send out a burst that was unintended, but they happened to catch it. N4UM then was in QSO with WA9HCZ and my monitoring alarm went off due to them mentioning me on the air. Well ... maybe I exaggerate some on that:)

Anyway, I have tried to use PSKmail to contact one of the four U.S. and one Canadian PSKmail Servers. When I first tried it, I had an immediate connect to WB5CON but my Linux X Windows crashed as I find that when I try to use fldigi with PSKmail. the flarq add on, it will crash if I try and enter any data into the sending screen of fldigi. If I keep away from the fldigi program and use the auxiliary program, then I think that it may work. But I did not have anything set up and did not quite understand how to do this.

Having too many systems is probably not a good idea, and maybe someday someone will be able to make a simple interface as we have seen with other programs for emergency use and it will work with PSKmail or NBEMS and maybe other systems. It definitely has to be drastically simpler to set up than the current system to get widespread adoption. This assumes that it would have a Windows analog.

I notice that your server is set up on 20 meters while everyone else is on 10.148. I suppose this is good for some frequency diversity. Also, your server and N5ALE both are using PSK125 rather than the PSK250 that other stations use. Do you find that this speed is the better choice? I would think that much of the time the 250 baud rate would be a bit fast for 30 meters and you are closer to the MUF and running a slower speed.

73,

Rick, KV9U



Bill - N8ET wrote:

I was monitoring on 80 last night, and copied both N4UM and KH6TY here in NW ohio very well. both were a solid 59 - nice signals! I was busy doing other things, so all I had time to do was listen - no tx. Tonight I should be able to join in the fun if anyone will be around from about 7 - 9:30 pm eastern time.

If anyone is interested, I have a functional PSKmail server I can bring up if you want to give it a try. Let me know.

3582KHz


Re: soundcard question

roger g6ckr <radio@...>
 

Don't have a web cam with built in mic do you ?

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 05:32 -0700, Michael Johnson wrote:
Dave,
Thanks very much for the reply. As it turns out, the answer was right
in front of me. In the configuration window of vbdigi, there is a
column of radio buttons for sound card selection. The first selection
is "windows default", followed by "sc #1", "sc #2", and "sc #3". I
selected sc #1 thinking that would be where the Tigertronics would be
but vbdigi popped up a window saying no sound card could be opened.
At that point I assumed there must be some way to configure sc #1 to
find the Tigertronics. Before digging further, I decided to try sc #2
and that happened to work. Everything functions fine now. I'm not
sure why vbdigi skipped sc #1 especially since the comm port assigned
to the USB device is comm 1. That 's fine though. As long as I know
where to find it all is well.

Thanks again for the help. I'm looking forward to doing some testing
with the hope of adding NBEMS to our ARES arsenal for county emergency
management support.

73,
Michael (N0VX)


w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
Michael Johnson wrote:
> I have a Tigertronics USB with built-in soundcard. The
> laptop I am using for EmComm also has an ESS soundcard which
> is the Windows default. NBEMS is currently trying to tx
> through the ESS soundcard.
>
> I can disable the ESS soundcard and make the Tigertronics
> USB Codex the default if necessary. Is it possible however
> to configure NBEMS to use the Tigertronics and find the
> soundcard over the USB connection? In the NBEMS
> configuration window I see options for soundcards (Windows
> default, SC #1, SC #2, SC#3). Is there a way to specify SC
> #1 in the configuration as the Tigertronics?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael (N0VX)
Your setup is very similar to mine Michael. I test NBEMS on a
Dell Dimension 3000 which has an ESS soundcard on the mother
board and also the SignaLink USB for digital use. Windows
will usually (but not always) set the ESS to sound card 0 and
the SignaLinkUSB to sound card 1. Which you want as your
windows default is configurable from the windows control
panel. I set the ESS to the default so that windows burps and
giggles go to the speakers. That keeps erroneous noises off
of the air.

My programming expertise is in Linux, so I am not sure how to
ascertain the noun name of the device with the device number
in Windows. I will do some research this evening on the
subject. In the meantime if anyone on the list knows how to
do that in VB6 please send me an email with the system call
information.

Thanks.

73, Dave, W1HKJ






______________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.


Re: Testing last night and tonight

"Bill - N8ET" <n8et@...>
 

On 10 Mar 2008 at 13:30, ae6la@... wrote:


What is a PSKmail server? Does that mean you can forward a message received in .eml format?

73, Ken - AE6LA
Hi Ken -

Check out PSKmail at http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/

It runs under Linux, and I know one or two of the guys on this group have
been fooling with it a bit. I have a server I have gotten working. If you set up
the client software on your end, you can send and receive e-mail on the
internet via my server.

You can use the client to input and e-mail message directly, or from a
directory that has stored e-mails in it like NBEMS, or via APRS

I will be using it this summer to stay in touch while I am on a sailboat in
northern Lake Huron.

If you are interested, I would suggest the Puppy Live CD as a starter to try it
out. You can find a link to it from the URL above.

--
73 - Bill - N8ET
Kanga US
www.kangaus.com
419-423-4604 (Kanga)
419-423-5643 (home)


Testing last night and tonight

"Bill - N8ET" <n8et@...>
 

I was monitoring on 80 last night, and copied both N4UM and KH6TY here in
NW ohio very well. both were a solid 59 - nice signals! I was busy doing
other things, so all I had time to do was listen - no tx. Tonight I should be
able to join in the fun if anyone will be around from about 7 - 9:30 pm
eastern time.

If anyone is interested, I have a functional PSKmail server I can bring up if
you want to give it a try. Let me know.

3582KHz

--
73 - Bill - N8ET
Kanga US
www.kangaus.com
419-423-4604 (Kanga)
419-423-5643 (home)


Re: Question the e-mail part of NBEMS

w1hkj <w1hkj@...>
 

Here are two things I have discovered.

  1. Sylpheed doesn't seem to like mail messages that have text names. The only messages I can seem to get it to recognize are those whose names are numbers, i.e. 1, 12, 123, etc. Has anyone else figured out anything else?
  2. The only way to "send" received messages is to use the forwarding function and copy/paste the To: and the Subject: lines out of the text of the mail message. Is this correct?

Jim
WA0LYK

#1  Unfortunately there is no standard which specifies how local storage of messages is handled.  Sylpheed will sequentially number all messages in it's folders with no extension.  The format for each of these is "eml".  If you receive an ARQ email message with the file name "my message blah blah.eml" from someone using Outlook Express you will need to rename that message with a sequential number in the ARQin folder.  That must be done either from a command line or using a gui tool for folder browsing.

#2 If the message contains the To: properaddress@... for example, you can then select "Message/Reply to All" and both the originator and the To: will receive the message.  The old To: shows up in the Cc: address block.

Dave, W1HKJ


Re: Question the e-mail part of NBEMS

"jgorman01" <jgorman24@...>
 

--- In NBEMSham@yahoogroups.com, Rick <mrfarm@...> wrote:

I tried to get Sylpheed set up to work with NBEMS, but I must
require at least one "account" in order to make it actively allow
you to access the program? The main toolbar appears grayed out.

Since my ham programs are on a different computer (side by side
towers with the ham side running XP or can dual boot into Kubuntu
Linux and the main computer running Vista), so I don't really want
to set up a regular account on Sylpheed or any other e-mail program
because I handle e-mail via Thunderbird on my Vista machine.

Any suggestions on setting up Sylpheed? I studied the documents on
the program and on the NBEMS site and it did not seem to address
this.

Also, I am not clear on what you can and can not do with e-mail and
NBEMS. From what it looks like, you are basically using the e-mail
program to help you format the e-mail and then saving it as a draft
file. Then you have to go in and manually drag and drop it into the
NBEMS program.

So you are able to use the e-mail program as a holding site for the
drafts and then you can either have files held there for say,
another ham who has not connected with you yet, or you can route
somehow through the internet?

Is the long term thinking that the integration would be more
automatic and you would have a place to store the files for RF only
paths, but could also route through the internet if that was
available and the sender wanted this?

73,

Rick, KV9U
Rick,

Here are some hints.

Number 1

You can set up a new account in Sylpheed and call it anything you
want. I used my call sign. Under the "Basic" tab select 'None
(local)' for the POP server and don't enter an address for the POP
server. Go ahead and enter the info for your SMTP server and this
will allow you to send (or forward) received emails from NBEMS through
your regular email account. Not entering the POP info means Sylpheed
won't interfere with your regular email processing.

You could set up a unique gmail account as recommended for use only
with Sylpheed. This would require digging through the gmail info for
the IMAP/SMTP info and getting all the necessary info entered into
Sylpheed. I didn't do this because I don't like having email accounts
all over the place that spammers can get into.

Number 2

Sylpheed creates a "Mail" folder in your home directory and puts
sub-folders there like inbox, sent, drafts, etc. I didn't want this
extra folder in my home directory since it is large enough already.
To change this I did the following.

It also creates a 'hidden' folder in your home directory called
".sylpheed-2.0" used for setup info. I suppose each new version will
create a new hidden folder. Anyway in the /home/user/.sylpheed-2.0
folder is a file called "folderlist.xml". I edited this file using
KWrite to change the "mh" entry to
"/home/jg6164/ham_radio/fldigi/Mail". Sylpheed will now look in this
directory for its folders and will allow you to keep everything
separate from your regular email.

You will also need to edit the flarq entries to put this new path into
all of the entries.

======================

Here are two things I have discovered.

Sylpheed doesn't seem to like mail messages that have text names. The
only messages I can seem to get it to recognize are those whose names
are numbers, i.e. 1, 12, 123, etc. Has anyone else figured out
anything else?

The only way to "send" received messages is to use the forwarding
function and copy/paste the To: and the Subject: lines out of the text
of the mail message. Is this correct?

Jim
WA0LYK


Re: Testing last night and tonight

ae6la@...
 

In a message dated 3/10/2008 10:24:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, n8et@... writes:
Tonight I should be
able to join in the fun if anyone will be around from about 7 - 9:30 pm
eastern time.

If anyone is interested, I have a functional PSKmail server I can bring up if
you want to give it a try. Let me know.

3582KHz
Interested? Yes, but not tonight.  I'll be looking Wednesday night.
 
What is a PSKmail server?  Does that mean you can forward a message received in .eml format?
 
73, Ken - AE6LA




Re: soundcard question

Michael Johnson <michaelkj77@...>
 

Dave,
Thanks very much for the reply.  As it turns out, the answer was right in front of me.  In the configuration window of vbdigi, there is a column of radio buttons for sound card selection.  The first selection is "windows default", followed by "sc #1", "sc #2", and "sc #3".  I selected sc #1 thinking that would be where the Tigertronics would be but vbdigi popped up a window saying no sound card could be opened.  At that point I assumed there must be some way to configure sc #1 to find the Tigertronics.  Before digging further, I decided to try sc #2 and that happened to work.  Everything functions fine now.  I'm not sure why vbdigi skipped sc #1 especially since the comm port assigned to the USB device is comm 1.  That 's fine though.  As long as I know where to find it all is well. 
 
Thanks again for the help.  I'm looking forward to doing some testing with the hope of adding NBEMS to our ARES arsenal for county emergency management support.
 
73,
Michael (N0VX)


w1hkj wrote:
Michael Johnson wrote:
I have a Tigertronics USB with built-in soundcard.  The laptop I am using for EmComm also has an ESS soundcard which is the Windows default.  NBEMS is currently trying to tx through the ESS soundcard.
 
I can disable the ESS soundcard and make the Tigertronics USB Codex the default if necessary.  Is it possible however to configure NBEMS to use the Tigertronics and find the soundcard over the USB connection?  In the NBEMS configuration window I see options for soundcards (Windows default, SC #1, SC #2, SC#3).  Is there a way to specify SC #1 in the configuration as the Tigertronics?
 
Thanks,
Michael (N0VX)
Your setup is very similar to mine Michael.  I test NBEMS on a Dell Dimension 3000 which has an ESS soundcard on the mother board and also the SignaLink USB  for digital use.  Windows will usually (but not always) set the ESS to sound card 0 and the SignaLinkUSB to sound card 1. Which you want as your windows default is configurable from the windows control panel.  I set the ESS to the default so that windows burps and giggles go to the speakers.  That keeps erroneous noises off of the air.

My programming expertise is in Linux, so I am not sure how to ascertain the noun name of the device with the device number in Windows.  I will do some research this evening on the subject.  In the meantime if anyone on the list knows how to do that in VB6 please send me an email with the system call information.

Thanks.

73, Dave, W1HKJ



Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.


Re: Question the e-mail part of NBEMS

Ed <autek@...>
 

Rick wrote:
I tried to get Sylpheed set up to work with NBEMS, but I must require at least one "account" in order to make it actively allow you to access the program? The main toolbar appears grayed out.
Since my ham programs are on a different computer (side by side towers with the ham side running XP or can dual boot into Kubuntu Linux and the main computer running Vista), so I don't really want to set up a regular account on Sylpheed or any other e-mail program because I handle e-mail via Thunderbird on my Vista machine.
Any suggestions on setting up Sylpheed? I studied the documents on the program and on the NBEMS site and it did not seem to address this.
Also, I am not clear on what you can and can not do with e-mail and NBEMS. From what it looks like, you are basically using the e-mail program to help you format the e-mail and then saving it as a draft file. Then you have to go in and manually drag and drop it into the NBEMS program.
So you are able to use the e-mail program as a holding site for the drafts and then you can either have files held there for say, another ham who has not connected with you yet, or you can route somehow through the internet?
Is the long term thinking that the integration would be more automatic and you would have a place to store the files for RF only paths, but could also route through the internet if that was available and the sender wanted this?
73,
Rick, KV9U
I would look at setting up a gmail or other free email service just for NBEMS. I just sat here and was able to compose an email, save it as a Draft and using the "save as" send it to the arq out folder. No cut and paste involved. Then under File "open saved message" I was able to open the mail that was in the arq in folder, again no cut and paste involved.

This was accomplished using Thunderbird.

Ed W3NR

16721 - 16740 of 16972