Date   
Re: FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Brian T Schmidt
 

did a killall flrig in terminal but it didnt find anything running..

Brian

Re: FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Brian T Schmidt
 

None that are visible.

Is there a command to list anything that might be running in the back ground?

Brian

Re: FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Dave
 

Any chance another application already has the port open?

On 2/2/20 6:20 PM, Brian T Schmidt wrote:
This is weird. I have used flrig on other computers with my 7200.

They were both at 9600 but i bumped them up to 19200.

I don't see the "ser port" button. The drop down that i see to select which serial port says update..


still getting:

Re: FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Brian T Schmidt
 

This is weird. I have used flrig on other computers with my 7200.

They were both at 9600 but i bumped them up to 19200.

I don't see the "ser port" button. The drop down that i see to select which serial port says update..


still getting:

Re: FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Dave
 

I always ran my IC7200 at 19200 baud.  Make sure that the transceiver is set to a fixed baud rate (not auto) and that flrig is set to the same baud.

Dave


Re: FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Brian T Schmidt
 

Thanks for the info Dave. I tried that had a little bit different options when I went into Users and Groups.

Under Groups though I selected everything and reboot but I still have the same problem..

Brian


 

Re: FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Dave
 

Open the Mint desktop menu: Menu / Users and Groups.  Select your logon (if more than one).  Select Advanced Settings.

Open the User Privileges tab.  Check every item on the list including "Use modems".  Press OK, reboot.

David

On 2/2/20 5:37 PM, Brian T Schmidt wrote:
I am having issues with FLRIG connecting to my ICOM 7200. I have double check the data rate (9600), the CI-V (76), and have used the radio with HRD on a WIndows 10 machine. I will also attach some screen shots. Has anyone have any suggestions?

I had it working on a RPI and Raspian but image a old desktop with the latest image of Mint. Everything is working great except for FLRIG. I am also using the latest version of 3.1.49.

NI0P
Brian

FLRIG an ICOM 7200 and a fresh image of Mint #flrig

Brian T Schmidt
 

I am having issues with FLRIG connecting to my ICOM 7200. I have double check the data rate (9600), the CI-V (76), and have used the radio with HRD on a WIndows 10 machine. I will also attach some screen shots. Has anyone have any suggestions?

I had it working on a RPI and Raspian but image a old desktop with the latest image of Mint. Everything is working great except for FLRIG. I am also using the latest version of 3.1.49.

NI0P
Brian

Re: #flmsg #flmsg

Dave
 

Hello Paolo,

There is no command line switch or user interface saved switch to do what you ask.  It would not be difficult to change the code to use the spectrum view as the default.  What operating system are you using?

David, W1HKJ

On 2/2/20 3:40 PM, Paolo Emanuelli wrote:
Hi, I use Fldigi normaly in remote station throgh internet connection not so good.  If I use view with Waterfall  WF it use a lot of internet band but very good if use it in mode spectrum view.
Unfortunately when I close fldigi program it return always in WF mode when I re open it and it is same also if I save configuration.
There is a mode to open it with Spectrum default instead of waterfall ?
thanks a lot IN3VVK

#flmsg #flmsg

Paolo Emanuelli
 

Hi, I use Fldigi normaly in remote station throgh internet connection not so good.  If I use view with Waterfall  WF it use a lot of internet band but very good if use it in mode spectrum view.
Unfortunately when I close fldigi program it return always in WF mode when I re open it and it is same also if I save configuration.
There is a mode to open it with Spectrum default instead of waterfall ?
thanks a lot IN3VVK

Re: Flrig

Rick
 

Thank you Larry.

On 1/31/2020 1:13 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Go to Config, restore tab and uncheck Pwr level.


On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 06:18:24AM -0800, Rick wrote:
How do I cement a slider to a particular position.  When I initialize the program the Pwr slider is at 85 and I need it at 10. Sometimes I forget to put it in the right position.
Rick W3BI


--


Only losers need rally caps.

Re: Flrig

Larry Levesque
 

Go to Config, restore tab and uncheck Pwr level.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 06:18:24AM -0800, Rick wrote:
How do I cement a slider to a particular position.  When I initialize the program the Pwr slider is at 85 and I need it at 10. Sometimes I forget to put it in the right position.
Rick W3BI


--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

Flrig

Rick
 

How do I cement a slider to a particular position.  When I initialize the program the Pwr slider is at 85 and I need it at 10. Sometimes I forget to put it in the right position.
Rick W3BI

Re: Fldigi receiving but wont key radio

Romeo Hotel One Two
 

Larry,


Apologies for the delay.  I did not have the Enable TX on Report button
checked in Flamp.  I have tested both at home with my IC-706 through a
Signalink and at work using an IC-7600 also with a Signalink.  At home
everything works fine ... transmit and receive no problem.  At work I
can receive no problem but the lack of transmit is still there.  Fldigi
lights up like it is trying to transmit but does not key the radio. 
Next step there is to check all of the connections, etc.


Thanks,

Rob

On 1/20/20 6:05 AM, Larry Levesque wrote:
And do you have Enable TX on Report checked in the flamp configuration tab?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 08:22:10PM -0500, Romeo Hotel One Two wrote:
Larry,


I checked and I am a member of the dialout group.



Thanks,

Rob



On 1/19/20 7:43 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Add yourself to DIALOUT group and log out and back in.


On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 12:06:49PM -0800, Romeo Hotel One Two wrote:
Ok, back around Thanksgiving I got the bright idea that I was going to replace the standard hard drive in my Panasonic CF-19 Toughbook with a 1TB SSD.  At the same time I upgraded Mint 18.something to Mint 19.3 as the OS.  Reloaded Fldigi, Flamp, Flmsg, Flrig, and flwrap among other things.

A few weeks ago I was participating in a net and when I tried to report needed block fills from Flamp, the software said it was transmitting but it wasn't keying the radio.  This is the first I have been back on the radio since the upgrade.  I've tried everything I could think of but I am coming up blank.

Can anyone help?  Luckily I have the old HD and can boot from it if I need to get on the air its just a pain in the tail and requires me to have extra equipment on hand.

Thanks,
Romeo Hotel-12


Re: Custom FLMSG Red Cross form conforming to NTS standard

P C Andy Anderson
 

​Paul, I agree with you 100%. 

Andy...W3LI



 
Q codes: I wouldn’t use them period in messages period.

Plain language is key to relaying messages, and habits can be hard to break... I recommend to all ARES members to break that habit quick and completely...

That said, and unusual characters in an otherwise standard text message confuse the issue... I wouldn’t use them.

Paul Silverzweig, W1PJS
RI SEC
ARC DST/GEN/MN


--
Paul, W1PJS
RI SEC
Red Cross Disaster Tech Manager
AF MARS
FEMA ComL

Re: Custom FLMSG Red Cross form conforming to NTS standard

Paul W1PJS
 

Q codes: I wouldn’t use them period in messages period.

Plain language is key to relaying messages, and habits can be hard to break... I recommend to all ARES members to break that habit quick and completely...

That said, and unusual characters in an otherwise standard text message confuse the issue... I wouldn’t use them.

Paul Silverzweig, W1PJS
RI SEC
ARC DST/GEN/MN


--
Paul, W1PJS
RI SEC
Red Cross Disaster Tech Manager
AF MARS
FEMA ComL

Re: Custom FLMSG Red Cross form conforming to NTS standard

Larry Levesque
 

Doug - Did you happen to extract a suitable answer to this?

The existing flmsg Radiogram form can be used to enter the information and pass among operators.
When it is time to either pass it to an NTS operator or an NTS operator get the flmsg form, all the have to do is go into the File>View>View as plain text.
Then their browser window will open with the properly NTS formatted message for NTS.


Larry Levesque
KA1VGM
Cheshire County EC
NHARES


On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Doug K7KY <k7ky@...> wrote:
We want to pass FLMSG RadioGram traffic to an NTS net, but NTS doesn't work with the FLMSG form.  We're hoping someone here has developed a custom FLMSG RadioGram form compatible with NTS. If so, we'd appreciate the opportunity to use your form.  Thanks in advance for your assistance or advice.  'http://orcadigitalnet.com'  Doug K7KY

Re: Custom FLMSG Red Cross form conforming to NTS standard

Larry Levesque
 

So I am confused.
From the earlier email asking for a more compatible form for NTS and your reply I thought I understood the following:

That it would be preferred if flmsg transmitted the radiogram in its pure text form so it would be easier for NTS to copy and paste this into other means for delivery or further movement within the NTS.

If that is not the case, then why did the thread get started?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 06:30:37PM -0500, Steve Hansen wrote:
Larry,

Actually, flmsg's radiogram is very good.

* The user screen is a great guide for someone who's not adept with
the radiogram format.
* With a couple of mouse clicks you can get the text view which is
proper for voicing, cw and digital - in other words, every mode used
within the traffic networks.
* With another couple of mouse clicks you can get an html version that
can be presented to the addressee and is suitable for framing.
* If you have an organizational preference, you can switch the html
header between ARRL and RRI.

If someone sends me an flmsg radiogram via, say, our local NBEMS net I can
open the text view and then inject it into the digital network. Very simple
process.

Now, when I get a radiogram for local delivery and I want to mail it in the
html format (I like to do that with new ham messages. They get the flmsg
html on the top of the page, a somewhat customized letter below and on the
reverse side a FAQ about radiograms. (When I got my license I received a
welcome radiogram on the ARRL postcard, had no idea what it was and then
chucked it.....having some explanation lets new hams know what exactly this
message is and how it got to them.)

That said, when I do that I have to take the text and then copy it into
flmsg's various fields. That takes a few minutes. There is one program
called the NTSD Parser which, while it was designed for other primary
purposes, can actually take the text and convert it to a reasonably good
html form similar to flmsg's form. However, the Parser is rather awkward to
use and the form sometimes does funny things.

I think that the important thing to remember is that there's only one
radiogram format (text) and there are many variations - some better than
others - on the "pretty form." ARRL has theirs, RRI has several fillable
pdfs (lined/unlined/with op data, without op data) e.g. http://radio-relay.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/RRI-Radiogram-form-1801-A-Final-Approved.pdf

I'm sure there are more.

73, Steve


--
LARRY LEVESQUE | Senior Business Systems Analyst
Granite City Electric Supply, Co.
16 Rose Lane • Keene, NH 03431
Direct 617-221-1551 • Cell 857-753-1407

Re: Custom FLMSG Red Cross form conforming to NTS standard

Steve Hansen
 

Larry,

Actually, flmsg's radiogram is very good.

  • The user screen is a great guide for someone who's not adept with the radiogram format.
  • With a couple of mouse clicks you can get the text view which is proper for voicing, cw and digital - in other words, every mode used within the traffic networks.
  • With another couple of mouse clicks you can get an html version that can be presented to the addressee and is suitable for framing.
  • If you have an organizational preference, you can switch the html header between ARRL and RRI.

If someone sends me an flmsg radiogram via, say, our local NBEMS net I can open the text view and then inject it into the digital network. Very simple process.

Now, when I get a radiogram for local delivery and I want to mail it in the html format (I like to do that with new ham messages. They get the flmsg html on the top of the page, a somewhat customized letter below and on the reverse side a FAQ about radiograms. (When I got my license I received a welcome radiogram on the ARRL postcard, had no idea what it was and then chucked it.....having some explanation lets new hams know what exactly this message is and how it got to them.)

That said, when I do that I have to take the text and then copy it into flmsg's various fields. That takes a few minutes. There is one program called the NTSD Parser which, while it was designed for other primary purposes, can actually take the text and convert it to a reasonably good html form similar to flmsg's form. However, the Parser is rather awkward to use and the form sometimes does funny things.

I think that the important thing to remember is that there's only one radiogram format (text) and there are many variations - some better than others - on the "pretty form." ARRL has theirs, RRI has several fillable pdfs (lined/unlined/with op data, without op data) e.g. http://radio-relay.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/RRI-Radiogram-form-1801-A-Final-Approved.pdf

I'm sure there are more.

73, Steve



On 1/27/2020 5:37 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation Steve.
Unfortunately my Custom Forms skill set will not help here.

Custom forms presents the data to fldigi as field names and numbers along with the corresponding text values.

This would have to be a form implemented in the base program.
Although that is not beyond my abilities, it would require a lot of learning for me to get up to speed.

Dave / All - is anyone willing to help out here.
It would make perfect sense in this application to program another form so that the HTML and data sent to fldigi would just be a copy of the raw text form of the form data.
Maybe call it NTS Raw Radiogram or something similar.



On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 08:53:34AM -0500, Steve Hansen wrote:
Hi Larry,

The proper radiogram format is described in, for example, the "pink
card" (cheat sheet) reference. This can be found at
http://radio-relay.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/RRI-TRAFFIC-OPERATIONS-AID-1720r3.pdf

Below is the example that is given. It is pure text. This is what flmsg
produces if you fill out the data entry window and then go to File -
View - Text. What flmsg produces is in this format.

1 R HXG W1NJM 8 NEWINGTON CT 1830 JUL 1
DONALD SMITH
164 EAST SIXTH AVE
NORTH RIVER CITY MD 21201
410 555 1234
OP NOTE DELIVER WEEKDAY
BT
HAPPY BIRTHDAY X SEE YOU
SOON X LOVE
BT
DIANA
OP NOTE SERVICE TO STATION OF ORIGIN

Traffic handlers know what each of the elements represents so there is
no need to add any other information when transmitting. All of the
content is compatible with cw, voice and digital. This is important as
the sender may not have any idea how the message is going to be
transported. For example, the manual inter-area nets are cw. A message
sent from NH to AK via the digital network might well make the hop from
the Pacific Northwest to AK via cw.

The flmsg html output is perfectly good as a way of presenting a
radiogram to someone who is not familiar with the format. It also
includes the translations of, for example, the ARL numbers. I use the

html form when presenting a radiogram in person or delivering it by
mail. In fact, the flmsg html form includes items that the ARRL printed
form (which hasn't been updated in ages) does not include.

On the Winlink side, the old (pre-July 2018) Winlink Express radiogram
template produced a nice html form but the text that shows in the
message panel was scrambled and contained extraneous information. The
result was that it was essentially worthless as far as the traffic
network was concerned. We changed the input template so that it looks
much like the flmsg input screen. It has helps and changes things like
periods to X, decimal points to R, etc. When one is finished, the
information in the template is transferred to the message panel in the
proper format and the html template disappears. I.e. it's only an input
tool.

The way that the Winlink system works is that the radiogram gets sent to
a regional liaison. This is done using tactical calls that are in a drop
down on the form. I handle Region 1 and handle about 100-200
radiograms/month that are submitted via Winlink. I input them to the
digital network in most cases. If coming into Maine I take them to
either the section NTS net or deliver myself.

For flmsg, the best way to send a radiogram to a traffic handler is to
send the text output.

Bottom line, flmsg as a tool is excellent. Dave has been very good at
providing updates as needed.

73,

Steve KB1TCE


On 1/26/20 9:14 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Please explain what "compatible" is....
Do you want an exact replica of the ARRL message form?
Send me an HTML example of one that is compatible and I can create one for flmsg.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 08:58:18PM -0500, Steve Hansen wrote:
The text output of the flmsg Radiogram form is correctly formatted for
transmission by voice, cw or digital. I use it routinely for injection into
the Digital Traffic Network (DTN). The form itself is mainly meant for
delivery since it explains the fields. It is not compatible within the
traffic networks.

73, Steve KB1TCE

RRI DTN Maine/Winlink-RRI Liaison


On 1/26/2020 8:09 PM, Doug K7KY wrote:
We want to pass FLMSG RadioGram traffic to an NTS net, but NTS doesn't
work with the FLMSG form.  We're hoping someone here has developed a
custom FLMSG RadioGram form compatible with NTS. If so, we'd appreciate
the opportunity to use your form.  Thanks in advance for your assistance
or advice. 'http://orcadigitalnet.com'  Doug K7KY





    

Re: Custom FLMSG Red Cross form conforming to NTS standard

Dave
 

The "File/View/Text..." menu item produces a Radiogram text that is (or at least was) designed to be 100% compatible with NTS requirements.  Now one of several issues might be at play

  1. my original design target was missed
  2. NTS requirements is a moving target
  3. the question was posed by a person not fully understanding how flmsg's internal ARRL radiogram works

It is necessary to use flmsg in the "expert" mode.  That is the mode intended to be used by amateur radio operators working within the realm of emergency communications.

73, Dave, W1HKJ

On 1/27/20 4:37 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation Steve.
Unfortunately my Custom Forms skill set will not help here.

Custom forms presents the data to fldigi as field names and numbers along with the corresponding text values.

This would have to be a form implemented in the base program.
Although that is not beyond my abilities, it would require a lot of learning for me to get up to speed.

Dave / All - is anyone willing to help out here.
It would make perfect sense in this application to program another form so that the HTML and data sent to fldigi would just be a copy of the raw text form of the form data.
Maybe call it NTS Raw Radiogram or something similar.



On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 08:53:34AM -0500, Steve Hansen wrote:
Hi Larry,

The proper radiogram format is described in, for example, the "pink
card" (cheat sheet) reference. This can be found at
http://radio-relay.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/RRI-TRAFFIC-OPERATIONS-AID-1720r3.pdf

Below is the example that is given. It is pure text. This is what flmsg
produces if you fill out the data entry window and then go to File -
View - Text. What flmsg produces is in this format.

1 R HXG W1NJM 8 NEWINGTON CT 1830 JUL 1
DONALD SMITH
164 EAST SIXTH AVE
NORTH RIVER CITY MD 21201
410 555 1234
OP NOTE DELIVER WEEKDAY
BT
HAPPY BIRTHDAY X SEE YOU
SOON X LOVE
BT
DIANA
OP NOTE SERVICE TO STATION OF ORIGIN

Traffic handlers know what each of the elements represents so there is
no need to add any other information when transmitting. All of the
content is compatible with cw, voice and digital. This is important as
the sender may not have any idea how the message is going to be
transported. For example, the manual inter-area nets are cw. A message
sent from NH to AK via the digital network might well make the hop from
the Pacific Northwest to AK via cw.

The flmsg html output is perfectly good as a way of presenting a
radiogram to someone who is not familiar with the format. It also
includes the translations of, for example, the ARL numbers. I use the

html form when presenting a radiogram in person or delivering it by
mail. In fact, the flmsg html form includes items that the ARRL printed
form (which hasn't been updated in ages) does not include.

On the Winlink side, the old (pre-July 2018) Winlink Express radiogram
template produced a nice html form but the text that shows in the
message panel was scrambled and contained extraneous information. The
result was that it was essentially worthless as far as the traffic
network was concerned. We changed the input template so that it looks
much like the flmsg input screen. It has helps and changes things like
periods to X, decimal points to R, etc. When one is finished, the
information in the template is transferred to the message panel in the
proper format and the html template disappears. I.e. it's only an input
tool.

The way that the Winlink system works is that the radiogram gets sent to
a regional liaison. This is done using tactical calls that are in a drop
down on the form. I handle Region 1 and handle about 100-200
radiograms/month that are submitted via Winlink. I input them to the
digital network in most cases. If coming into Maine I take them to
either the section NTS net or deliver myself.

For flmsg, the best way to send a radiogram to a traffic handler is to
send the text output.

Bottom line, flmsg as a tool is excellent. Dave has been very good at
providing updates as needed.

73,

Steve KB1TCE


On 1/26/20 9:14 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Please explain what "compatible" is....
Do you want an exact replica of the ARRL message form?
Send me an HTML example of one that is compatible and I can create one for flmsg.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 08:58:18PM -0500, Steve Hansen wrote:
The text output of the flmsg Radiogram form is correctly formatted for
transmission by voice, cw or digital. I use it routinely for injection into
the Digital Traffic Network (DTN). The form itself is mainly meant for
delivery since it explains the fields. It is not compatible within the
traffic networks.

73, Steve KB1TCE

RRI DTN Maine/Winlink-RRI Liaison


On 1/26/2020 8:09 PM, Doug K7KY wrote:
We want to pass FLMSG RadioGram traffic to an NTS net, but NTS doesn't
work with the FLMSG form.  We're hoping someone here has developed a
custom FLMSG RadioGram form compatible with NTS. If so, we'd appreciate
the opportunity to use your form.  Thanks in advance for your assistance
or advice. 'http://orcadigitalnet.com'  Doug K7KY