Date   
Re: FLDIGI Disappears About 2 Seconds After Startup

Oliver K6OLI
 

Brian,
Is your Antivirus quarantining/blocking Fldigi? Check in the AV quarantine, if Fldigi is in there, restore it and create an exception.
73,
Oliver K6oLI

Re: FLDIGI Disappears About 2 Seconds After Startup

Rick Smith
 

This problem occured when I loaded FLdigi 4.0.18 on a new desktop system. After reading the feedback from users it 
appeared the program was not seeing a Speaker/Microphone resource. 
I added a set of speakers and a microphone and restarted FLdigi. Problem solved. 
To confirm, I removed the external Mic & Spkrs..The problem returned.

Rick  k0kex


From: nbems@groups.io <nbems@groups.io> on behalf of k8grr@... <k8grr@...>
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:58 PM
To: nbems@groups.io
Subject: [nbems] FLDIGI Disappears About 2 Seconds After Startup
 
I am working on configuring a new installation of FLDIGI and FLRIG on a Windows 10 PC. I am not sure what I did, but now when I open FLDIGI, the UI disappears after about 2 seconds. This happens even after I uninstalled and reinstalled it FLDIGI (v.4.1.00).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brian, K8GRR

Shortwave Radiogram, 8-10 February 2019

kd9xb
 

Shortwave Radiogram this weekend is in MFSK32 and MFSK64, and a brief  segment in Olivia 64-2000.  If your signal is so bad that you can't hear anything, try the Olivia 64-2000 anyway, at seven minutes into the show, and you might see text printing out.

For details:
http://swradiogram.net/post/182655071787/shortwave-radiogram-8-10-february-2019-digital

Separate from this weekend's normal broadcast, today (Friday) at 1500-1530 UTC there will be special content, including some super-fast modes on WINB's DRM transmitter, 13690 kHz. This will not be the DRM proprietary text mode (I don't have access to a DRM content server), but digital text modes and images decoded from the audio decoded from WINB's DRM signal. This is a convoluted way to receive text and images, but fun when it works. Details via the URL above.

Kim
KD9XB

Roger in Germany provides these images and "sonogram" of last week's show. The horizontal axis is time (the half hour of the broadcast), and the vertical axis is the spectrum, with the 7780 kHz carrier at the center  ...

flrig / Kenwood TS-890s

Dave
 

Added TS-890S class.

Disabled prefs file update if flrig loses serial connection to flrig during program exit.

Please let me know if anyone needs an OS-X dmg.

73, David, W1HKJ


fldigi 4.1.0 - LOTW no upload

Dave
 

view all files @ http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/fldigi/

Corrects LOTW upload bug.  Tested on OS-X with successful LOTW upload.

73, David, W1HKJ

fldigi 4.1.01.04 alpha posted

Dave
 

To http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/fldigi/
Alpha 4.1.01.04

  WF only bug fix
    * N1MM waterfall only requirement strikes again :>(

  LotW
    * Adif export missing <MODE:n> <SUBMODE:n>

  Pedantic warnings
    * correct additional gcc warnings

  ADIF submode
    * Add submode support
      - export both MODE and SUBMODE to external loggers iaw ADIF spec 3.04

  QRZ.com
    * change interface to QRZ XML service version 1.33

  SV1GRB test report
    * Corrections based on Haris' testing of 4.1.00
      -  Add "NONE" or "N/A" to State and County pick lists, operator configuration

  SD counties
    * sort South Dakota counties alphabetically

Please be patient.  The transition from 4.0.18 to 4.1.0 was not a trivial change in code or 
functionality.  I am working on the loss of METAR access (weather services).

73, David, W1HKJ

Mode change command request

Rick Smith
 

I am looking for a Mode command  function that would cause a specific mode to switch to FSQ after an idle time period. 

To explain further, I operate primarily on 3598 in FLdigi-FSQ mode. This is used for County to County communication with 
support stations. On occasion the mode will be switched as other groups use 3598 for various activities, nets, etc. 
When these activities have finished I would like FLdigi to return to FSQ mode after an idle period.

I have used the macro functions to make these changes when at the keyboard. I am looking for an UN-attended mode switch.

Thank you for reading and any assistance.

Rick K0KEX

Can RF-Receivers detect Earthquakes?

A Schwarz
 

Hi Everybody;

Evidence has been mounting that it might be possible to detect earthquakes by measuring the changes in the ionosphere.

The RF-Seismograph team has been collaborating with Earthquakes Canada to find a correlation between HF propagation and earthquakes. There was a distinct event that occurred on Nov 1st  (M5.0 off the coast of Vancouver Island) which was detected by the RF-Seismograph.

We are in the process to correlate earthquakes that a bigger than M6.0 into the 4 years of data we have accumulated. Attached you find a compilation of the year 2016 and all significant earthquake data that was given to us by Earthquakes Canada.
We also believe that tsunamis create RF-signatures and will further investigate on this.

Please access the PDF study and findings here;

http://www3.telus.net/public/bc237/MDSR/IntroductionRF-SeismographandEarthqakes.pdf

The RF-Seismograph uses a HF radio, a LIF interface to decode the IF via a sound card and a 9-band vertical  antenna to receive and record RF-background noise and log the data into files.
For more info on LIF go to:
http://users.skynet.be/myspace/mdsr/index.html

 

All the best and 73;

Alex (VE7DXW) and the RF-Seismograph team

Re: fldigi 4.1.01.04 alpha posted

Dave Corio
 

    Dave, on Olivia it does supply Mode and Submode (Olivia and Olivia 8/250), however does not with PSK. For PSK it supplies PSK31 as Mode and nothing for Submode. Not tested on other modes yet.

Tnx es 73!
Dave - KB3MOW


    
On 2/9/2019 3:30 PM, Dave wrote:
To http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/fldigi/
Alpha 4.1.01.04

  WF only bug fix
    * N1MM waterfall only requirement strikes again :>(

  LotW
    * Adif export missing <MODE:n> <SUBMODE:n>

  Pedantic warnings
    * correct additional gcc warnings

  ADIF submode
    * Add submode support
      - export both MODE and SUBMODE to external loggers iaw ADIF spec 3.04

  QRZ.com
    * change interface to QRZ XML service version 1.33

  SV1GRB test report
    * Corrections based on Haris' testing of 4.1.00
      -  Add "NONE" or "N/A" to State and County pick lists, operator configuration

  SD counties
    * sort South Dakota counties alphabetically

Please be patient.  The transition from 4.0.18 to 4.1.0 was not a trivial change in code or 
functionality.  I am working on the loss of METAR access (weather services).

73, David, W1HKJ



Virus-free. www.avast.com

Re: fldigi 4.1.01.04 alpha posted

Dave
 

RGR

On 2/10/19 1:45 PM, Dave Corio via Groups.Io wrote:
    Dave, on Olivia it does supply Mode and Submode (Olivia and Olivia 8/250), however does not with PSK. For PSK it supplies PSK31 as Mode and nothing for Submode. Not tested on other modes yet.

Tnx es 73!
Dave - KB3MOW

On 2/9/2019 3:30 PM, Dave wrote:
To http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha/fldigi/
Alpha 4.1.01.04

  WF only bug fix
    * N1MM waterfall only requirement strikes again :>(

  LotW
    * Adif export missing <MODE:n> <SUBMODE:n>

  Pedantic warnings
    * correct additional gcc warnings

  ADIF submode
    * Add submode support
      - export both MODE and SUBMODE to external loggers iaw ADIF spec 3.04

  QRZ.com
    * change interface to QRZ XML service version 1.33

  SV1GRB test report
    * Corrections based on Haris' testing of 4.1.00
      -  Add "NONE" or "N/A" to State and County pick lists, operator configuration

  SD counties
    * sort South Dakota counties alphabetically

Please be patient.  The transition from 4.0.18 to 4.1.0 was not a trivial change in code or 
functionality.  I am working on the loss of METAR access (weather services).

73, David, W1HKJ



Virus-free. www.avast.com

<CALL>

khberkner@...
 

How does the program pick up the callsign to use in <CALL>

On my first try at RTTY contesting, the reply macro, which had <CALL> in it, did not provide an entry for <CALL> when executed?
I'm sure I missed an obvious step somewhere. Where did I go wrong?

Klaus KLKHB

Re: <CALL>

Ed W3NR
 

On 2/10/19 6:03 PM, khberkner@... wrote:
How does the program pick up the callsign to use in <CALL>

On my first try at RTTY contesting, the reply macro, which had <CALL> in it, did not provide an entry for <CALL> when executed?
I'm sure I missed an obvious step somewhere. Where did I go wrong?

Klaus KLKHB
_._,_._,_

Did you have his call in the call box ? If not the macro does not work.

Ed W3NR

Re: <CALL>

Ed W3NR
 

On 2/10/19 6:03 PM, khberkner@... wrote:
How does the program pick up the callsign to use in <CALL>

On my first try at RTTY contesting, the reply macro, which had <CALL> in it, did not provide an entry for <CALL> when executed?
I'm sure I missed an obvious step somewhere. Where did I go wrong?

Klaus KLKHB
_._,_._,_

Another hint, he knows his call, so sending it is just not needed. Keep your macros as short as possible.

599 <SERNO> <SERNO> is all you need.

Ed W3NR

Re: <CALL>

501_Andy_VE4PER <ve4per@...>
 

in fldigi when you see a callsign and mouseclick it it auto enters it in log; I assume if a macro is run it will use that call

On 2019-02-10 5:40 p.m., Ed W3NR wrote:
On 2/10/19 6:03 PM, khberkner@... wrote:
How does the program pick up the callsign to use in <CALL>

On my first try at RTTY contesting, the reply macro, which had <CALL> in it, did not provide an entry for <CALL> when executed?
I'm sure I missed an obvious step somewhere. Where did I go wrong?

Klaus KLKHB

Re: <CALL>

Marty Hartwell
 

Hi Klaus

A longer reply is that during the contact the person sends his call in the exchange, to log it

you click on his call, the software puts that in the log in the top window and uses it in macros

and such.

I hope this helps, another hint would be to have a copy of the users manual on the pc for quick

reference, also the online help can be handy too.

Marty kd8bj

On 2/10/19 5:44 PM, Ed W3NR wrote:
On 2/10/19 6:03 PM, khberkner@... wrote:
How does the program pick up the callsign to use in <CALL>

On my first try at RTTY contesting, the reply macro, which had <CALL> in it, did not provide an entry for <CALL> when executed?
I'm sure I missed an obvious step somewhere. Where did I go wrong?

Klaus KLKHB

Getting up to speed on operating with fldigi?

Frank
 

I got my ham license just under a year ago, started using FT8 with WSJT-X exclusively, and managed to get DXCC done in about seven months. Now I'm interested in using fldigi to expand into other modes.

I have fldigi-4.1.00 installed on my MacBook Pro running Mojave, and since my IC-7300 was already set up for digital it seems to be talking to fldigi successfully (changing frequency on either changes it on the other, etc). So far I've browsed around a little with listening to CW, which seemed somewhat successful although the decodes exhibited a lot of noise.

Beyond that, I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Most of the tutorials I've run across seem to focus more on setup/configuration rather than operating. Is there anything good to read, or videos to look at, besides the essentials in the beginner's guide at http://www.w1hkj.com/beginners.html? For example, as just one question, what are the modes most popular with fldigi users these days, and where in the bands would I look for them?

Thanks and 73,

Frank k6fod

Re: Getting up to speed on operating with fldigi?

Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...>
 

Welcome to the world of digital modes outside of FT8. Other than FT8 there are a few common modes that FLdigi can decode . 

CW is so-so because it depends on the transmitting station to send almost perfect CW, many operators sending with their own fist cause poor copy. 

If you switch to PSK31, you will likely find stations operating around 14070 USB 7070 ISN , and 3854 USB

On weekends there is a lot of RTTY around 14088 to 14125 USB because of weekend contests . On weekdays, not a lot of activity unless a major DXpedition is active ..

Olivia 500/8 can be heard from time to time around 14073 USB  and 7073 USB.  Nets for NBEMS are usually in the evening around 3580 to 3585 USB.

Other likely modes are HELL, MFSK16, and THOR. Not common, these days . Fldigi supports Reed-Solomon identification. This automatically identifies some modes IF you turn it on for receive and if the other station activates it when they begin a transmission. Problems is, many do not use it . 
 
There are other modes that are common but not available in FLdigi . They are ALE, PACTOR, Winmor , and VARA. These modes are mostly used for mail handling . 

To begin with, I suggest PSK31, RTTY, and Olivia . Upper Side Band is issue for all the above modes regardless of frequency /band . Except RTTY where convention dictates that LSB is used .

You can Google my Quick and Dirty Guide to Digital Modes . It is a very old guide , but might be of some use . 

Andy K3UK. 

On Feb 11, 2019, at 11:18 AM, Frank <gio@...> wrote:

I got my ham license just under a year ago, started using FT8 with WSJT-X exclusively, and managed to get DXCC done in about seven months. Now I'm interested in using fldigi to expand into other modes.

I have fldigi-4.1.00 installed on my MacBook Pro running Mojave, and since my IC-7300 was already set up for digital it seems to be talking to fldigi successfully (changing frequency on either changes it on the other, etc). So far I've browsed around a little with listening to CW, which seemed somewhat successful although the decodes exhibited a lot of noise.

Beyond that, I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Most of the tutorials I've run across seem to focus more on setup/configuration rather than operating. Is there anything good to read, or videos to look at, besides the essentials in the beginner's guide at http://www.w1hkj.com/beginners.html? For example, as just one question, what are the modes most popular with fldigi users these days, and where in the bands would I look for them?

Thanks and 73,

Frank k6fod

Re: Getting up to speed on operating with fldigi?

Steve Bellner
 

Frank,

This has nothing to do with what you are talking about however, I have a blind friend who uses a MAC. He needs help installing and operating FLmsg and FLdigi. I am not computer savvy. Would you mind if I contact you and get some help getting him operational? He does not know if it will work with MAC.

Please consider this a request to help install and get him operational.

73,

Steve, W8TER

On 2/11/2019 11:18 AM, Frank wrote:
I got my ham license just under a year ago, started using FT8 with WSJT-X exclusively, and managed to get DXCC done in about seven months. Now I'm interested in using fldigi to expand into other modes.

I have fldigi-4.1.00 installed on my MacBook Pro running Mojave, and since my IC-7300 was already set up for digital it seems to be talking to fldigi successfully (changing frequency on either changes it on the other, etc). So far I've browsed around a little with listening to CW, which seemed somewhat successful although the decodes exhibited a lot of noise.

Beyond that, I'm trying to figure out what to do next. Most of the tutorials I've run across seem to focus more on setup/configuration rather than operating. Is there anything good to read, or videos to look at, besides the essentials in the beginner's guide at http://www.w1hkj.com/beginners.html? For example, as just one question, what are the modes most popular with fldigi users these days, and where in the bands would I look for them?

Thanks and 73,

Frank k6fod

Re: Getting up to speed on operating with fldigi?

Frank
 

Thanks, Andy, I appreciate the notes. I'll try those modes and frequencies.

I did a web search and, while I came across references to your "Quick and Dirty Guide to Digital Modes," I wasn't able to find a link for the article itself. Is it somewhere on the web?

Re: Getting up to speed on operating with fldigi?

Frank
 

Steve, I'd be happy to try to help out with your friend, but have a couple of caveats.

First, I'm ultra-new to Flidigi, so if there is another Mac user who is more experienced with it reading this, I'd definitely defer to them.

Second, in my experience with Flidigi and WSJT-X, the issue isn't so much the basic install of the program, but rather getting it configured to talk to your radio, and getting the radio itself configured. If your friend happens to have an IC-7300 I can probably help, but if he has another radio it might be more beneficial to find someone with experience with that particular radio (whether or not they're a Mac user).

Finally, I haven't installed and am not using Flmsg, so I can't help with that.

Despite all of the above if it seems as though there's a way I might be able to assist, let me know!