Date   
Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Sarah
 

Hi John:

I live in Los Angeles Co., CA and the volunteer Disaster Communication Service that's allied with the Sheriff's department does weekly net with NBEMS.  (And a second, smaller emergency comms group I belong to in my immediate, local area is resuming a second net this week.)

73, N6OPE.

On 7/14/2018 6:55 AM, John Corby wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Sarah
 

Ooops, forgot to mention John:  I started a Groups.io group about 6 months ago for the specific purpose of creating a place where NBEMS users could share tips, information, and experiences.  Open to all:  https://groups.io/g/22nbems

73, N6OPE


On 7/14/2018 6:55 AM, John Corby wrote:
Is anybody actually using the FL-suite to send and receive messages? I see a lot a discussion here about the software but no references to it's use for sending narrowband emergency messages. I have been quite enthusiastic about the use of NBEMS for exchanging messages - especially during power and phone line outages - but I haven't actually found anybody to exchange messages with. Is anybody else in the same situation, or is this group really a software dscussion group?

John, va3kot, EN93

Unable to deliver your message

Gilbert Kauffmann
 




-----Original Message-----
From: Yahoo Groups <notify@...>
To: k3cc <k3cc@...>
Sent: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Subject: Unable to deliver your message


We are unable to deliver the message from <k3cc@...>
to <nbemsham@...>.

Your message was sent to a group that does not exist. Please check
to make sure you spelled the group name correctly.

For further assistance, please visit http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/forms/general.html
Attached Message
From Gilbert Kauffmann <k3cc@...>
To NBEMSham@...
Subject re: site for custom FLdigi forms
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:23:13 -0400
would it help if we had a site were folks could save their forms for all to see ?
This would allow everyone to see FLmsg, FLAMP and other forms made and used by others.....

Just a question to help the group.....Each form could be downloaded and changed for their use

de Skip  K3CC 

Re: Unable to deliver your message

Larry Levesque
 

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 06:00:14AM -0400, Gilbert Kauffmann wrote:



-----Original Message-----
From: Yahoo Groups <notify@...>
To: k3cc <k3cc@...>
Sent: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 12:23 pm
Subject: Unable to deliver your message


We are unable to deliver the message from <k3cc@...>
to <nbemsham@...>.

Your message was sent to a group that does not exist. Please check
to make sure you spelled the group name correctly.

For further assistance, please visit http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/forms/general.html
Attached Message
From Gilbert Kauffmann <k3cc@...>
To NBEMSham@...
Subject re: site for custom FLdigi forms
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:23:13 -0400
would it help if we had a site were folks could save their forms for all to see ?
This would allow everyone to see FLmsg, FLAMP and other forms made and used by others.....

Just a question to help the group.....Each form could be downloaded and changed for their use

de Skip  K3CC 


--
Larry Levesque
KA1VGM

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

John Corby <va3kot@...>
 

Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Steve Hansen
 

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Sarah
 

Yes!  I'm still relatively new to NBEMS and haven't used it in an emergency yet.  But it seems tailor made for the circumstances you describe.  For example, you could be of great service to your community by being able to send NBEMS messages to provincial** authorities in charge of emergency or first responders or something like the Red Cross.  If nothing else being able to communicate the need for critical medications or provide a detailed status report could really make a difference. 

** being in the US I'm not sure how or if Canadian provinces are broken down into smaller governmental units like a US State breaks down into county governments. 


On 7/16/2018 7:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Don Poaps
 

Here in BC we use Winlink. Every 3rd Wednesday we have. Emergency Management BC net. We check in via voice on HF and VHF as well as a Winlink Express Message. 
The only time I would use NBEMS is with Satern, unfortunately the bands are in the toilet. The net is the same time a club function here and it would have to be an emergency 



There use to be some nets from California but these nets conflict with my Salvation Army Schedule 


73

Don va7qu 
Satern BC
Radio Manager 


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 13:22 Sarah <n6ope@...> wrote:

Yes!  I'm still relatively new to NBEMS and haven't used it in an emergency yet.  But it seems tailor made for the circumstances you describe.  For example, you could be of great service to your community by being able to send NBEMS messages to provincial** authorities in charge of emergency or first responders or something like the Red Cross.  If nothing else being able to communicate the need for critical medications or provide a detailed status report could really make a difference. 

** being in the US I'm not sure how or if Canadian provinces are broken down into smaller governmental units like a US State breaks down into county governments. 


On 7/16/2018 7:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.

--
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE


Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k           



                    
  




 

Multiple Instances of FLDigi and FLMsg

N2BHD
 

I would like to have multiple instances of FLDigi and FLMsg associated with different radios, on my Windows 7 PC.  At one time I was able to define a Windows shortcut with the following Target line for an Alinco DR-135 radio:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fldigi-4.0.17.52\fldigi.exe" --config-dir "C:\Users\Ed\fldigi-alinco-dr135" --flmsg-dir "C:\Users\Ed\NBEMS-alinco-dr135" --arq-server-port 7332 -ti ALINCO_DR-135

FLDigi would use the "--config-dir" path for the unique FLDigi configuration, and the "--flmsg-dir" path for the unique FLMsg files.  The current version of FLDigi and FLMsg don't seem to recognize or use the "--flmsg-dir" path.  All of the files end up in "C:\Users\Ed\NBEMS.files".

Is anyone running multiple instances of FLDigi and FLMsg?  Have you configured FLDigi for each radio with unique directory paths?  If so, can you explain how you launch FLDigi and FLMsg?

Thanks & 73,
Ed
N2BHD

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Steve Bellner
 

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.


Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Steve Hansen
 

Hi Steve,

I am copying David WE1U who is active in the Hospital Net. He can answer your questions better than I can.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 09:51 PM, Steve Bellner wrote:

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.



Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

George Blakeslee
 

Steve

Merle, KB1RJC, coordinates the New Hampshire Hospital Net.
I am including her on this reply.
She would be able to answer your questions for NH.

73  GB


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Steve Bellner <stevebellner@...> wrote:

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.





--
George Blakeslee

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Doug K7KY
 

John & the net...  Every Tuesday evening, 0330z, 3.581+1500, MFSK-32, ORCA DIGITAL NET.  http://orcadigitalnet.com 

Early Ck-in 0315z.  It's best to monitor the net a few weeks and read the Quick Start Guide @ the website. The net is organized for traffic practice and brisk. We use FLDIGI, FLMSG, & FLAMP every week.  The bands have been difficult lately, w/o much long skip, but every now & then we get a far eastern ck-in.

Most members are west coast and east to UT & ID.  My wife Mindy W7ZAP & I NCS the net.  Monitor us a couple weeks and then check-in and practice digital traffic handling with us.  Doug K7KY

Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

we1u.david@...
 

to the group:

Androscoggin ARES/RACES use to work with the Central Maine Regional
Resource Center doing Quarterly Radio Test. Since the Spring we have
joined with NH ARES Hospital Amateur Radio Program, HARP Net on
Wednesdays at 1600L on the first and second week of the month when the
net is held on the Mount Washington 146.655MHz-100Hz Repeater.

We have voiced and fldigi/flmsg HICS-213. Fortunately, we have lately
used only fldigi/flmsg ;)

Digital Modes used have ranged from PSK125, PSK125R, PSK250R,
PSK125RC5, PSK250RC5,8PSK125 and attempted 8PSK500F.

Androscoggin ARES/RACES Net uses PSK125RC5, PSK250RC5, and 8PSK500F.
The PSK250RC5 seems the sweet mode(sweet spot is 1500Hz) it can be
used on Raspberry Pi 3. PSK125RC5 has been the fallback with slower
computers....and Windows boxes ;)

I have some notes for the net:
http://we1u.us/#hospital

and fldigi notes:
http://we1u.us/ham/#fldigi

Question back to the group:

Any plans to have all HICS and ICS Forms in flmsg?

Spellcheck? ;)

SVG(UML?) for (H)ICS diagrams? sometime down the road.

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Steve <shansen@...> wrote:
Hi Steve,

I am copying David WE1U who is active in the Hospital Net. He can answer
your questions better than I can.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 09:51 PM, Steve Bellner wrote:

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What
about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple
of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine.
In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are
equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but
for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:

Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually
using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been
utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting
emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension
to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in
southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and
internet) lines are down too. After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service
deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS
has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability
until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the
technology.





--
Be Well

David Lowe WE1U
68 High St Apt 2
Auburn ME
207 783.1759
http://we1u.us/

GPS: 44.095173N 70.227477W
Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/jwrVc

Androscoggin Amateur Radio Club
http://w1npp.org/

WX1GYX SKYWARN
http://www.wx1gyx.org/

flrig 1.3.40 bugs

Dave
 

A number of bugs have been reported in flrig 1.3.40:
  1. failure to connect to IC735
  2. failure to set data modes on IC7100
  3. tabbed controls inaccessible from small user interface / full width sliders
1 and 2 have been fixed and you may install the current flrig alpha posting if you use either the 735 or 7100:

You can compensate for bug #3 by either

  • using small user interface with small sliders, or
  • using the wide user interface

73, David, W1HKJ

flrig alpha version 1.3.41.06

Dave
 

Has been posted to www.w1hkj.com

Alpha 1.3.41.06

  TAB controls
      * Change small UI drop-down paradigm to a separate
        movable dialog.
        - shifting between small UI - wide sliders and
          small UI - narrow sliders resulted in difficult
          control over widget positioning within the fltk
          auto positioning algorithm.

  IC 9100
      * Add trace statements to Icom 9100 methods

  xml_io
      * remove xml_io.cxx, xml_io.h from source tree

  IC7100
      * D mode CAT command

  IC7610
      * Add 7610

  IC735
      * Fix check - 735 only has 4 bytes of freq data!

Separate tab dialog demonstrated on OS X


73, David, W1HKJ


Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Steve Bellner
 

Thank you all for your input. I have visited the links and am impressed. I have been contemplating which direction to our local hospital net and these have given me some insight.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/17/2018 11:35 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

Hi Steve,

I am copying David WE1U who is active in the Hospital Net. He can answer your questions better than I can.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 09:51 PM, Steve Bellner wrote:

Steve,

How often do you hold your hospital nets and when? Do you use D-STAR ? What about other digital radio modes?

We here in the Toledo Ohio area have been holding hospital nets for a couple of years and I am wondering if you might share some of what you do.

Thanks.

73,

Steve, W8TER


On 7/16/2018 10:50 AM, Steve Hansen wrote:

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE


On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.




Shortwave Radiogram 27-30 July includes an 8PSK125F experiment

kd9xb
 

Shortwave Radiogram this weekend includes an experiment with 8PSK125F

Shortwave Radiogram is always transmitted in AM, but it can be received in AM, USB, or LSB. 

The phase shifting in PSK might not work well if the  lower and upper sidebands are not in sync. Therefore, we hypothesize that the decode of a PSK mode will be better if received in USB or LSB rather than AM.  On this weekend's show, we will try both ...

Minutes into the 30-minute broadcast:
 1:37  MFSK32: Program preview
 2:57  Slow Scan Radio* and SSTV from the ISS
 9:34  8PSK125F: VOA story about water under Mars**
11:26  8PSK125F: DW story about water under Mars***
14:05  MFSK64: Cooling devices and global warming*
21:22  Images of the week*
28:39  MFSK32: Closing announcements

* with image(s)

** Use AM mode

*** Use USB or LSB modes if available

Info:

http://swradiogram.net/post/176339202157/shortwave-radiogram-27-30-july-2018-another



Kim
KD9XB

2018 ARRL/TAPR DCC Call for Technical Papers & Presentations

Mark Thompson
 


2018 ARRL/TAPR DCC 
(Digital Communications Conference) 

September 14-16
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Call for Technical Papers & Presentations at DCC 

The ARRL and TAPR DCC is an international forum for radio amateurs to meet, publish their work, and present new ideas and techniques.

Presenters and attendees will have the opportunity to exchange ideas and learn about recent hardware and software advances, theories, experimental results, and practical applications.

All digital topics are covered at the DCC including Digital Voice, Data & Video, SDR, DSP, Precise Timing, Spread Spectrum, Networking Tecnologies Mesh Networking.

Technical papers are being solicited for presentation at the ARRL and TAPR Digital Communications Conference (DCC) and printed in the annual Conference Proceedings published by the ARRL.

Presentation at the conference is not required for publication although authors who attend receive priority for a scheduling a presentation during the technical forums.

If you would like to present a technical topic at the DCC and not submit a technical paper email the topic of your presentation to the TAPR Office at: taproffice@...

Submission of technical papers for publication should be submitted ASAP to Maty Weinberg, ARRL 225 Main Street Newington, CT 06111 or via the Internet to maty@...

More details about technical papers and guidelines for paper submissions are available at:
http://www.tapr.org/dcc#dcccallforpapers






FSQ and Video ID's in fldigi

Keith Kaiser
 

I created a video text ID as described on the ORCA website. It works great with just one exception I’d like to find a work around for. It closes and does not reopen the ‘MON’ monitor screen of FSQ.
Is there a way to do this? I don’t see anything in the macro definitions that would let me open it with a macro call. I’m uncertain why it closes it in the first place, but I suspect it has to do with using <MODEM:NULL> in the macro.

Thoughts?
Keith, WA0̷TJT