Re: MFSK16 bandwidth?

Ken Downs

Dave,
No good answers for nets with wide-area coverage.

Solution 1  Teach everyone (as many as possible)  to type and go full-time digital when
                   traffic volume warrants;
Solution 2  Use 160 and/or 60 meters, where voice and data ARE allowed on the same freq;
Solution 3  VHF/UHF perhaps with repeaters/digipeaters

As stated, no good answers. As in real estate, the deciding factors could be location, location, location.
  Of those presented, #1 is probably the most realistic. A work-around for reluctant typists would
be a county/area/regional "gateway" digital station which can transfer messages between
state/wide area digital and local area voice net. Somewhat personnel intensive to be efficient.
Number two suffers from propagation and bandwidth issues;
Number three could require a lot of infrastructure.Remember the old state-wide packet network?

Solution 4 ?? Join MARS/SHARES/xyz and be an unpaid federal/state worker.

W1KRT

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 08:24:51 -0400, "Dave Colter" <dbcolter@...> wrote:

Thanks to all who answered. I’m surprised my own search didn’t pick up the emissions chart John posted. Gotta love Google ads clogging up search results. After looking at the charts on w1hkj.com,  and the Part 97 definition of image modes, I found that none of the modes in Fldigi qualify as image modes. Oh well.

The reason for the question had to do with nets. On SHARES nets (government frequencies) we are able to send digital messages on the voice net frequency (we use MT63-1K-L), which improves the efficiency of the net. There is no repeated moving off to a new frequency, retuning, etc.. The thought is that if a legal “image” mode can effectively send forms and documents, just like a fax machine, we can move the messages in-net as long as it’s low volume. We would do this until the traffic volume increased to the point where it’s more efficient to move to an all-digital net for traffic.

Back to the drawing board!

73,

Dave Colter WA1ZCN

ASEC, Training - NH-ARES