Re: MFSK16 bandwidth?

Michael WA7SKG

We have a number of groups in our area who mix voice and digital on the same frequency, usually 2 meters. They typically use SSTV and MT63, though some use Olivia. I believe they use flamp to assist in message processing. In the exercises, the mix works well as the message traffic serves accurate and efficient record traffic for shelter status, weather, etc. while SSTV is very useful for damage assessment.

In the non-ham world, this was actually quite common. Not only with MARS, SHARES, etc. but in the commercial arena. There were a few business that used to use HF between their facilities that I would occasionally monitor for fun. They would make voice contact, then send data of some type. Of course now everything is satellite and Internet, and HF sees very little use. One of the companies I used to listen to had a big tri-band beam and several dipoles on their roof, all gone now.

Michael WA7SKG

Dave Colter wrote on 3/29/20 5:24 AM:

Thanks to all who answered. I’m surprised my own search didn’t pick up the emissions chart John posted. Gotta love Google ads clogging up search results. After looking at the charts on w1hkj.com,  and the Part 97 definition of image modes, I found that none of the modes in Fldigi qualify as image modes. Oh well.
The reason for the question had to do with nets. On SHARES nets (government frequencies) we are able to send digital messages on the voice net frequency (we use MT63-1K-L), which improves the efficiency of the net. There is no repeated moving off to a new frequency, retuning, etc.. The thought is that if a legal “image” mode can effectively send forms and documents, just like a fax machine, we can move the messages in-net as long as it’s low volume. We would do this until the traffic volume increased to the point where it’s more efficient to move to an all-digital net for traffic.
Back to the drawing board!
73,
Dave Colter WA1ZCN
ASEC, Training - NH-ARES