Re: Custom FLMSG Red Cross form conforming to NTS standard

Dave

The "File/View/Text..." menu item produces a Radiogram text that is (or at least was) designed to be 100% compatible with NTS requirements.  Now one of several issues might be at play

  1. my original design target was missed
  2. NTS requirements is a moving target
  3. the question was posed by a person not fully understanding how flmsg's internal ARRL radiogram works

It is necessary to use flmsg in the "expert" mode.  That is the mode intended to be used by amateur radio operators working within the realm of emergency communications.

73, Dave, W1HKJ

On 1/27/20 4:37 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation Steve.
Unfortunately my Custom Forms skill set will not help here.

Custom forms presents the data to fldigi as field names and numbers along with the corresponding text values.

This would have to be a form implemented in the base program.
Although that is not beyond my abilities, it would require a lot of learning for me to get up to speed.

Dave / All - is anyone willing to help out here.
It would make perfect sense in this application to program another form so that the HTML and data sent to fldigi would just be a copy of the raw text form of the form data.
Maybe call it NTS Raw Radiogram or something similar.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 08:53:34AM -0500, Steve Hansen wrote:
Hi Larry,

The proper radiogram format is described in, for example, the "pink
card" (cheat sheet) reference. This can be found at
http://radio-relay.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/RRI-TRAFFIC-OPERATIONS-AID-1720r3.pdf

Below is the example that is given. It is pure text. This is what flmsg
produces if you fill out the data entry window and then go to File -
View - Text. What flmsg produces is in this format.

1 R HXG W1NJM 8 NEWINGTON CT 1830 JUL 1
DONALD SMITH
164 EAST SIXTH AVE
NORTH RIVER CITY MD 21201
410 555 1234
OP NOTE DELIVER WEEKDAY
BT
HAPPY BIRTHDAY X SEE YOU
SOON X LOVE
BT
DIANA
OP NOTE SERVICE TO STATION OF ORIGIN

Traffic handlers know what each of the elements represents so there is
no need to add any other information when transmitting. All of the
content is compatible with cw, voice and digital. This is important as
the sender may not have any idea how the message is going to be
transported. For example, the manual inter-area nets are cw. A message
sent from NH to AK via the digital network might well make the hop from
the Pacific Northwest to AK via cw.

The flmsg html output is perfectly good as a way of presenting a
radiogram to someone who is not familiar with the format. It also
includes the translations of, for example, the ARL numbers. I use the

html form when presenting a radiogram in person or delivering it by
mail. In fact, the flmsg html form includes items that the ARRL printed
form (which hasn't been updated in ages) does not include.

On the Winlink side, the old (pre-July 2018) Winlink Express radiogram
template produced a nice html form but the text that shows in the
message panel was scrambled and contained extraneous information. The
result was that it was essentially worthless as far as the traffic
network was concerned. We changed the input template so that it looks
much like the flmsg input screen. It has helps and changes things like
periods to X, decimal points to R, etc. When one is finished, the
information in the template is transferred to the message panel in the
proper format and the html template disappears. I.e. it's only an input
tool.

The way that the Winlink system works is that the radiogram gets sent to
a regional liaison. This is done using tactical calls that are in a drop
down on the form. I handle Region 1 and handle about 100-200
radiograms/month that are submitted via Winlink. I input them to the
digital network in most cases. If coming into Maine I take them to
either the section NTS net or deliver myself.

For flmsg, the best way to send a radiogram to a traffic handler is to
send the text output.

Bottom line, flmsg as a tool is excellent. Dave has been very good at
providing updates as needed.

73,

Steve KB1TCE

On 1/26/20 9:14 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
Please explain what "compatible" is....
Do you want an exact replica of the ARRL message form?
Send me an HTML example of one that is compatible and I can create one for flmsg.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 08:58:18PM -0500, Steve Hansen wrote:
The text output of the flmsg Radiogram form is correctly formatted for
transmission by voice, cw or digital. I use it routinely for injection into
the Digital Traffic Network (DTN). The form itself is mainly meant for
delivery since it explains the fields. It is not compatible within the
traffic networks.

73, Steve KB1TCE

RRI DTN Maine/Winlink-RRI Liaison

On 1/26/2020 8:09 PM, Doug K7KY wrote:
We want to pass FLMSG RadioGram traffic to an NTS net, but NTS doesn't
work with the FLMSG form.  We're hoping someone here has developed a
custom FLMSG RadioGram form compatible with NTS. If so, we'd appreciate
the opportunity to use your form.  Thanks in advance for your assistance
or advice. 'http://orcadigitalnet.com'  Doug K7KY