Re: Weather Form

Michael WA7SKG

Many airports have automated weather bulletins broadcast continuously over VHF aircraft frequencies. A quick scan of 118-130 MHz AM will typically find one if you are within 20 miles or so of an airport. (You DO have a scanner in your emergency equipment, don't you?) Also, many of them have have a phone line connected to dial up and get the data. Check sites like airnav.com for the data on airports near you. You should print these data sheets for each airport in your operational vicinity and keep them in your GSTK binder. While not as far reaching as NOAA weather radio, local aviation weather is immediate, up to date, and accurate for your local vicinity. In your emergency plan, I would try to identify someone within reception range of local AWOS/ASOS stations and have them prepare to provide weather data into your system. Lacking that, prepare to dispatch someone to a location that can receive the broadcasts for relay.

BTW, the WXmacro in fldigi looks up the METAR data from NOAA for the specified airport and presents it in human readable format. Of course, not useful in a no Internet situation, but it does give you an idea of how the standard METAR data string is decoded. This is the format many agencies would be looking for

My EMCOMM Philosophy: Plan, Prepare, Train, Practice. EMCOMM is just like the NFL, without the drama. You must join the team, get your equipment, learn the plays, and attend all practices. Don't try to walk in unknown with your bicycle helmet and Nerf football and expect them to let you play in the Super Bowl.

Michael WA7SKG

James Stafford AJ5BS wrote on 12/4/19 3:41 AM:

The website is great IF you have the internet available. However, NBEMS is based on normal communications channels being unavailable, which in my perspective, would rule out the availability of the internet during an actual NBEMS usage. Therefore, it behooves us to learn to listen to and decipher the transmissions from the radio, and how to produce a METAR report for transmission in fldigi.
James B Stafford AJ5BS
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 5:26:18 AM CST, George Blakeslee <george.blakeslee@...> wrote:
Not sure if this site has been shared.
You can get decoded METAR data here
https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar

Join nbems@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.