Re: %20flmsg%204.0.10%20&%20American%20Red%20Cross

n6med@...

The reality and intent:
The forms Dave removed were obsolete. In today's world, it is unlikely that a Red Crosser is going to sit down long enough to learn flmsg in its "expert" mode and dig out the form needed. Further, government agencies are now involved (responsible for?) damage assessment. During and after the fires last year in CA, CalFire had boots on the ground surveying properties in the burned areas, noting them by address or Lat-Long. NGO's (Red Cross) did not and to the best of my knowledge does not survey damage. Exactly who does that task varies across the country. On my deployment to SE TX a few years ago, the local JP declared residences destroyed by the flooding without even seeing them, just by the fact that they were in the flooded areas.

Safe and Well is handled differently that years past. Now, it is done when client's check into a shelter if that's what they want or later by polling shelter clients. Data is collected on hand-written forms initially or later on laptops if they have become available to shelter workers.

The custom forms are direct replicas of those found on the red Cross internal disaster tool repository and represent the type of messaging between a Red Cross service site (usually a shelter) and the Red Cross Disaster Operations Center (DOC). They were created to facilitate the type of messages that must get forwarded to the DOC in the early hours of a disaster response when the telecom infrastructure is down.  Dave's mod of flmsg to include a "simple" or "agency" interface enables use by the average non-radio "civilian" (Red Crosser) to use the forms, create a .k2s object text file that can be sent over virtually any digital circuit, including as an email attachment to Winlink.

Also, hopefully those of you out there who are truly interested in assisting us with disaster comms would install the latest and greatest flmsg and the forms. Thus, if and more likely when Red Cross staff at a shelter lack computers in the early hours would be invited to sit down at your computer to compose a message, all in the interest of mitigating transcription errors.
Refer to Dave's posting under the topis header flmsg/ARC Forms for my contact info if you would like to discuss (I'd enjoy hearing about your recent disaster response experiences).
Jim, RN, n6med
ARC Gold Country Region