Re: 8PSK on 2 meters

Dave

Unless the transfer is 1:1 then use flmsg with ARQ.

Dave

On 5/15/19 6:29 PM, Ron via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Klaus,

We also have an NBMES net on 2 meters and use either 8psk1000F or 8psk1200f.  Even though I have full scale at my location there still is a slight crackling noise and I don't get 100% copy. With that speed your reception has to be pretty close to full quieting. A few things to get better copy. I usually turn off digital squelch and unsquelch my radio. You get more noise text but better weak signal reception. In the PSK modem setting make sure everyone turns on the Pilot tone. If it's a repeater turn on the Pre-Signal Tone in the ID RsID setting to send a tone before your text. Make sure that your PTT delay is set. On my Signalink I have the DLY set to 12 o'clock. Of course audio setting, both transmit and receive has to be perfect. Not too low and not too high to distort the audio.

My personal opinion is if a large file is being sent with high speed then Flamp is better than Flmsg because you can ask for missing blocks instead of getting errors on the Flmsg and asking for the whole thing to be resent.

73, Ron NY3J

On 5/15/19 7:09 PM, khberkner@... wrote:
We run aa small fldigi/flmsg practice net on 2 meters.  Our workhorse mode has been MT63-2000L, but we have been exploring 8PSK and have been amazed by the increased speed (recognizing we give up the  error correction of MT63).

Here's my problem:  I used to have no problem decoding 8PSK 1200F until a few weeks ago.  Now I can't decode 1200F, although usually 1000F still works (most of the time).   None of the others on the net have this problem, and they can readily decode my 1200F transmissions.

I am running fldigi 4.1.03 and flmsg 4.0.8 on Windows 10.

Sometimes I get only gibberish, other times I see the text in the yellow screen, but no "wrap" at the beginning and hence no coupling to flmsg and my browser.

This has me baffled, and any thoughts would be appreciated.

Klaus K6KHB