A Solution To The Digital Mode Recognition Issue

Dave

This response is being shared with the linuxham and nbems groups at groups.io.

"Sounds" like a perfect opportunity for someone to write a QST article, Digital Modes Operating Etiquette.  My own preference is to use RsID only when calling CQ and then not for commonly recognized modes such as BPSK31.  Use this macro text for your CQ macro.  It will turn on RsID for each CQ and disable it immediately thereafter.

Configure the transmit RsID as disabled for the commonly recognized modes:

I often see an Olivia 8/500 QSO without an RsID.  It is completely indistinguishable from a Contestia 8/500 signal.  The tone patterns and spacing of Olivia and Contestia look the same for the same number of tones and bandwidth.  I've even seen Olivia being used on the opposite sideband (or reversed).  I chalk those up to ignorance rather than a desire for an anonymous, private conversation.   Fldigi's RsID configuration items can help to avoid being interrupted by the operator calling CQ with the RsID enabled.

During emergency communications or net operations it is probably not a good idea to casually transmit the RsID.  It does slow down the exchange, and it might inadvertently interrupt an existing data exchange.  The use of RsID in a net should be a part of the net operating procedures.

I will change the fldigi's default CQ macro to that shown above.  That will at least assist new digital operators using fldigi to be courteous and informative.

73, David, W1HKJ

On 4/17/19 10:59 PM, Tony wrote:
On 4/17/2019 10:41 PM, Charles Hargrove wrote:
I don't see what the difficulty is. I leave my RxID & TxID on all the time.

Charles:

Difficulty is not the problem, it's the lack of use. The reason is a mystery, but I can tell you that the problem has existed for many years.

I'm not aware of RS-ID being mentioned in the ham license question pool so that could part of the problem for new and old alike who are just getting started with digital.

Tony -K2MO