Re: FLAMP New feature idea - maybe

Ole Helgerson KI7MBR

Hi Don and greetings to all from the Evergreen state to the south. Commiserating re windows 10 tanking in an upgrade, needing now to reinstall Fldigi and winlink. If of use, the 12 yr old Lenovo laptop, former xp now Linux mint 18.1, keeps plugging along and seems quite happy with Fldigi, Flmsg et al, communicating ok in tests across the house between the ht and the base station using MT63 2000 LG via simple audio connection.

Re csz earthquake, that's one of the big concerns locally. Been giving a talk on it to whomever will listen. Interesting to know winlink use in BC. Here winlink seems  used along similar lines, with an Ares exercise today accordingly. In my limited experience Fldigi is simpler to learn.  Appreciate knowing about May 12 exercise. Long time friends in Coquitlam.

The node system described sounds very interesting, though I am still way down low on the learning curve.

Hope this is useful.
73 KI7MBR, Ole, Carson WA

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 7:09 AM Don Poaps <va7dgp@...> wrote:
Ken

I have had my 3 windows pc disabled by windows up dates. Mic privacy on but no audio even when I’ve switched Signalink and cables. Looks like I have to learn how to load load fldigi and the suites into my Pi and get back on the air.
Locally our incident commander showed an interest in sending a copy of the declaration of emergency to the reception Center. We use Winlink to communicate to our provincial and local EOC.
May 12 there a massive Earthquake Exercise in the city of Vancouver BC and the Salvation Army is having a tabletop exercise as well. I heard that for an hour in the city  event there will be no phones.

If I get a chance I’ll try use fldigi from our EOC in Abbotsford depending on how busy I get

Later

Don va7dgp

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 06:26 AD5XJ, KEN <ad5xj@...> wrote:

The point I would like to re-emphasize is that the concept  is intended for smaller groups of connecting stations that do not necessarily all have repeaters, Internet access, or WinLINK access. This happens quite often in emergency situations.

The concept is designed to allow NBEMS groups to still operate over a wide area without the need of expensive external TNC equipment.

The NBEMS suite has that capability with FLDIGI / FLMSG / FLAMP and a central connecting station with Internet access. The "postoffice" station could act as a temporary message relay station for all types of messages - not just Internet email. The message formatting capability is already built in to FLMSG so the receiver of the message is familiar with the format.

To do all this, added functionality has to exist to reduce the effort needed in message handling with large volume. This could be a separate module similar to FLAMP or part of FLAMP. It seems logical to fit into FLAMP since some messages may be used to broadcast, and others sent to specific stations who have reported for this duty, or forwarded to an email address using store and forward software methods.

I think the new feature would require routing tags in the message so the "postoffice" would know what to do with it.
Also, to limit traffic and abuse, the "postoffice" should have a registry of participating stations and only respond to those stations for routing functions.

The suggestion has been made that this is like PACKET used to be. That is true. But PACKET was for the most part VHF/UHF. To get this type of functionality on HF currently HF PACKET exists but very sparse. It leans more to widely separated nodes not always available (not to mention it is slower than VHF/UHF).

I know this concept is sort of - been there done that - kind of thing. The effort is to not only revive it but improve it for use in very flexible situations using any available mode over any available media path using NBEMS software only.

--
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC

Winlink: va7qu@...