Re: FLAMP New feature idea - maybe

Don Poaps

Ken

I have had my 3 windows pc disabled by windows up dates. Mic privacy on but no audio even when I’ve switched Signalink and cables. Looks like I have to learn how to load load fldigi and the suites into my Pi and get back on the air.
Locally our incident commander showed an interest in sending a copy of the declaration of emergency to the reception Center. We use Winlink to communicate to our provincial and local EOC.
May 12 there a massive Earthquake Exercise in the city of Vancouver BC and the Salvation Army is having a tabletop exercise as well. I heard that for an hour in the city  event there will be no phones.

If I get a chance I’ll try use fldigi from our EOC in Abbotsford depending on how busy I get

Later

Don va7dgp

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 06:26 AD5XJ, KEN <ad5xj@...> wrote:

The point I would like to re-emphasize is that the concept  is intended for smaller groups of connecting stations that do not necessarily all have repeaters, Internet access, or WinLINK access. This happens quite often in emergency situations.

The concept is designed to allow NBEMS groups to still operate over a wide area without the need of expensive external TNC equipment.

The NBEMS suite has that capability with FLDIGI / FLMSG / FLAMP and a central connecting station with Internet access. The "postoffice" station could act as a temporary message relay station for all types of messages - not just Internet email. The message formatting capability is already built in to FLMSG so the receiver of the message is familiar with the format.

To do all this, added functionality has to exist to reduce the effort needed in message handling with large volume. This could be a separate module similar to FLAMP or part of FLAMP. It seems logical to fit into FLAMP since some messages may be used to broadcast, and others sent to specific stations who have reported for this duty, or forwarded to an email address using store and forward software methods.

I think the new feature would require routing tags in the message so the "postoffice" would know what to do with it.
Also, to limit traffic and abuse, the "postoffice" should have a registry of participating stations and only respond to those stations for routing functions.

The suggestion has been made that this is like PACKET used to be. That is true. But PACKET was for the most part VHF/UHF. To get this type of functionality on HF currently HF PACKET exists but very sparse. It leans more to widely separated nodes not always available (not to mention it is slower than VHF/UHF).

I know this concept is sort of - been there done that - kind of thing. The effort is to not only revive it but improve it for use in very flexible situations using any available mode over any available media path using NBEMS software only.

--
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC

Winlink: va7qu@...