Re: FLAMP New feature idea - maybe

AD5XJ, KEN

The point I would like to re-emphasize is that the conceptĀ  is intended for smaller groups of connecting stations that do not necessarily all have repeaters, Internet access, or WinLINK access. This happens quite often in emergency situations.

The concept is designed to allow NBEMS groups to still operate over a wide area without the need of expensive external TNC equipment.

The NBEMS suite has that capability with FLDIGI / FLMSG / FLAMP and a central connecting station with Internet access. The "postoffice" station could act as a temporary message relay station for all types of messages - not just Internet email. The message formatting capability is already built in to FLMSG so the receiver of the message is familiar with the format.

To do all this, added functionality has to exist to reduce the effort needed in message handling with large volume. This could be a separate module similar to FLAMP or part of FLAMP. It seems logical to fit into FLAMP since some messages may be used to broadcast, and others sent to specific stations who have reported for this duty, or forwarded to an email address using store and forward software methods.

I think the new feature would require routing tags in the message so the "postoffice" would know what to do with it.
Also, to limit traffic and abuse, the "postoffice" should have a registry of participating stations and only respond to those stations for routing functions.

The suggestion has been made that this is like PACKET used to be. That is true. But PACKET was for the most part VHF/UHF. To get this type of functionality on HF currently HF PACKET exists but very sparse. It leans more to widely separated nodes not always available (not to mention it is slower than VHF/UHF).

I know this concept is sort of - been there done that - kind of thing. The effort is to not only revive it but improve it for use in very flexible situations using any available mode over any available media path using NBEMS software only.