Using FLDIGI with Vertex VX-1700

Daniel Miranda

Hello, everyone!
Has anyone ever used FLDIGI with a Vertex VX-1700 radio from Yaesu? I am trying to help a friend with digital modes, and it would be really useful to hear from someone who has a working setup.
FLRIG does not directly support this model, testing several yaesu models yielded no results.
RigCat also does not support the model.
HAMLIB has alpha support, so we tried with several serial port options and all we get is a hamlib_init: IO error.
The configuration I thought ought to have worked was a Baud Rate of 4800, 2 stop bits, PTT via Hamlib command, no DTR, no RTS, no RTS/CTS flow control and no XON/XOFF flow control. A few variations were also tried.
Also two different after market cat cables were tried, I don't suspect a cable problem.
I feel like I am missing something basic. Any tips?

A little bit of context:
This is for a humanitarian project in the amazon forest. The frequencies used are licensed from the government (not HAM frequencies) around 80m, 40m and 30m and the whole setup is a bit dated. It would be an important improvement if we got basic keyboard to keyboard communication over HF, which can take place in much worse atmospheric conditions than voice.

Best,
Daniel