Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Sarah

Hello Michael:

Simple answer first:  Although I can't speak for Los Angeles Co., CA as a whole the groups I work with use MT63-2000L.  There are regular nets out here on 2m and 220.

WinLink:  The ARES organization in LA County is split up in to sections because the county is so large.  I understand one of the sections regularly alternates their weekly digital net between NBEMS and WinLink. I haven't work with WinLink but I take your point about station-to-station versus station-to-everyone in comparing WinLink to NBEMS.  There must be other people working WinLink in my county but I'm just not tuned into it.

Standardization between digital modes:  That would be nice.  Sadly I don't even think LA County is "standardized" much less Southern Calif. or the entire state. But I'm a low on the totem pole and willing to be corrected.

What we ought to be doing:  Based on discussions with my Elmer and others I think hams in LA County who have the interest and can obtain the equipment need to focus on building a Mesh Radio network.  It's great that folks know and use NBEMS and WinLink but my understanding is that Mesh Radio is really the future.  There are active Mesh Radio groups running in Ventura (the county west/northwest of LA) and Orange Counties (to the south/southwest).  It would just be a darn shame for LA County not to be connected to them.

73, Sarah, N6OPE

On 9/18/2018 7:07 PM, WA7SKG via Groups.Io wrote:
Nice to see all the folks using NBEMS, but all I see referenced is NBEMS and fldigi. Why does almost nobody specify which actual mode they are using? PSK31, MT63, Olivia, RTTY, and tons more are part of  the fldigi suite. The few nets I have run into so far have used MT63 and MFSK-32. Locally, we have found MT63 to be pretty good and use it on both HF and 2 meters. We use fldigi and flmsg, but have not used flamp. There are a lot of State people who are absolutely unwavering on WinLink and pressure to use only that format. The drawback we find is WinLink seems to be strictly point-to-point, where only the two stations involved can see the traffic. That does not allow other stations to copy and provide fills or relay if necessary.

So, is there any one mode that seems to stand out we should try to standardize on? For those who have previously commented that you are actively using NBEMS, would you mind sharing what modes you are actually using?

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG