Re: Narrow Band Emergency Messages

Steve Hansen

I'm a bit late to this thread but we use NBEMS quite extensively in Maine. In my county all of the town stations, the county EOC and home stations are equipped to use NBEMS. We also have a local packet network and Winlink but for real time comms, especially VHF/UHF, NBEMS is fast and efficient.

We also have a NH/ME hospital net that uses NBEMS for data transmission.

73, Steve KB1TCE

On 07/16/2018 10:44 AM, John Corby wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to know that folks are actually using NBEMS. I believe that it has a lot of potential that isn't been utilized. Most people probably think of NBEMS in terms of supporting emergency services during major disasters. But, there is another dimension to it in prepping for personal emergencies. I live in a rural area in southern Ontario that experiences frequent power outages. Often, phone (and internet) lines are down too.  After 24 hours, or thereabouts, cell service deteriorates as backup power drops. That leaves residents isolated. NBEMS has the potential to provide independent messaging, or email, capability until services are restored. This is my principal interest in the technology.