Re: Basic Ham Emcomm Presentation for Town Leadership

Steve Hansen

First off, thanks to everyone who has submitted materials either through this forum or direct. I think we have enough fodder.

Our team is ARES/RACES-CERT and we have quarterly exercises with the county plus statewide exercises and a bunch of community service events (bike rides, charity walks and swims, etc.).

I spoke with the county director this AM. He verified that the town in question has not previously participated in any county-wide exercises nor are they yet NIMS compliant. So they've got some work to do aside from any amateur involvement. The town is also one of the more affluent ones in the county.

We have similar issues with several of the island communities. Their comms infrastructure is fragile anyway.

73, Steve KB1TCE

On 07/28/2017 11:08 AM, Randy McGill wrote:

Hi, I encourage your effort to reach out directly to your city/county government.  One of the things that I think ARES has forgotten is that we are a "public service" entity.  IMHO ARES has aligned it's function too narrowly, in that we consider it to be an auxiliary arm of governmental agencies.  ARES can serve any legitimate public service agency whether it be city, county, federal or non governmental organization providing that we don't interfere with ongoing public service communications and stay in our lane.

N7WWA

"Never debate with an idiot.  They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."