Re: Basic Ham Emcomm Presentation for Town Leadership

Tim Reimers KA4LFP

That's kind of what and how I've seen some EM responders react.
In a crisis, the last thing they want is a new group of helpers showing up wanting to work the scene or be involved.

This is why it's critical to have a relationship with the county EM and have some pre-planned knowledge of where and how amateur radio fits in.

Otherwise that's exactly what we can be perceived as doing - Trying to horn in on a well oiled and trained machine that counts on fully understanding what resources they have, even to knowing personalities and foibles and knowing who to put where because of who can work together well and which two people not to put in the same room.

Suddenly adding a whole bunch of unknown quantities of amateur operators to that machine can make a personality-aware Fire/EMS/other incident commander go crazy, especially if the implied attitude from the ham is that "you need my help you just don't know it".
 That's why connections from higher up that are organized and planned and roles understood are so key.
 and it might quite possibly be that hams are not at the center of things and are comms for less key areas.

I have made it very clear to my employer (municipal IT) that my first duty lies with my day job of supporting IT infrastructure for fire and police, NOT going off to play radio. But, equally, that if i am not needed locally and have vacation days, I may go assist in a disaster elsewhere. I don't want my employer to go with that same line of "choose where you work, there or here".

73, Tim

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character give him power.” - Abraham Lincoln

On Jul 27, 2017 9:57 PM, "WA8JXM" <wa8jxm@...> wrote:
On 7/27/17 3:26 PM, Steve Hansen wrote:
The background is that a group of hams in one of our county's towns is trying to get the attention of the town management, many of whom don't see a need for amateur radio support. In fact, they seem to have a rather passive attitude toward communications preparedness in general.

I think many officials would rather live with a problem they understand rather than rely on solutions they do not understand or control.

Many years ago (42 to be exact) I was RACES RO and a volunteer firefighter/EMT.   I mentioned to my fire chief that in any large area disaster I had county responsibilities.  His response was that I needed to make my choice.   That's when I pretty much got out of ham radio and MARS for many years.

A fire chief knows how to run his department.   Dealing with other organizations and people in the middle is usually  a distraction and many will find it more effective to just concentrate on the task in front of them.  When resources are stretched, communications is not the main issue, trained personnel and equipment is the issue.

I am just trying to give some perspective from the other side.

73, Ken WA8JXM