Re: Auto Serial Number function not working in FLMSG

Sarah

Hi there Lance --

. . . Well there you go.  You may have seen that Larry L asked me if my flmsg.prefs file was write protected but it never occurred to me to check the subdirectory itself.  AND, I didn't know that all the "Program Files (X86)" was write protected.

Dave (W1JKH) has written back asking me to test some alpha revision files which I will do.  I will run three tests and report back to the group:

1.  FLMSG 4.0.2 uninstalled from Program Files (x86) and reinstalled under Program Files

2.  FLMSG 4.0.2 uninstalled and alpha version FLMSG 4.0.3.3 installed as per default in Program Files (x86)

3.  FLMSG 4.0.2 uninstalled and alpha version FLMSG 4.0.3.3 installed as per default in Program Files

On 5/22/2017 6:04 AM, lance aue wrote:
To: Sarah

In had that problem with WINDOWS 10 PRO, but there is a reason, AND A SOLUTION [ , read on...]..
Where is FLMSG installed?
If it is in the "C:\Program Files" or"C:\Program Files (x86)" directories, they are PROTECTED DIRECTORIES, and WINDOWS WILL NOT ALLOW files in those folders to be altered, EVEN BY THE PROGRAMS THEMSELVES.
If it is installed there, UNINSTALL THEM.
It is recommended to force the installer to AMATEUR RADIO PROGRAMS in NON_PROTECTED directories, like "C:\FLMSG" for FLMSG and put FLDIGI in "C:\FLDIGI", etc.
It's  a quirk of WINDOWS, especially in the PRO version, and an annoying one.

Very 73,
Lance / KA2EJD
[AR]