Re: Auto Serial Number function not working in FLMSG

Sarah

Hello Larry:  Thank you for taking time to write back. I'm  responding to both of your last two messages here:

I don't mind at all being asked to make sure that I've got the "add a serial number to a message" box checked.  I've entered a variety of different starting numbers with the serial number box checked in the FLMSG configuration set up for naming files.  I always get the same result.  Even after opening a new file and using a different form (or the same form) the suggested default name for new message file is always same and the serial number never increases.  This happens whether or not I include the date/time in file names.

If other users aren't experiencing this problem the only explanation that occurs to me is that it's because we're running different operating systems.  Again, I'm using Windows 7 Pro.

73, Sarah

On 5/21/2017 7:04 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
I know this may seem like a silly question but....

In the Config, Files/Formatting screen you do have Serial box checked and the previos number is showing up?

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 06:48:58PM -0700, Sarah Dickey wrote:
(2nd reply)  I double checked -- the FLMSG.prefs file was not write
protected but -- just to be sure I deleted it and started over.

Same thing -- I can set whatever serial number I want but FLMSG never
increases it when I send a new message.

SLD

On 5/21/2017 5:05 PM, Larry Levesque wrote:
You also might want to make sure your FLMSG.prefs file is not write
protected.

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 06:44:09PM -0500, w1hkj wrote:
Works correctly on my systems.  Are  you using the File / New menu item
before preparing a new message? You can't simply reuse the original
message.

David

On 05/21/2017 05:47 PM, Sarah Dickey wrote:
Greetings FLDIG/FLMSG users:I am using FLDIGI/FLMSG on a *Windows 7
Pro* platform.FLMSG will attach a serial number in the default name
for message files and it uses the number I designate in configuration
options for files.What doesn’t work is the subroutine that
automatically increases that number for the next new message file
doesn’t work.Every new message is assigned the same serial number.This
is the case with FLMSG versions 4.0.2 and 3.00.2.

(1)The idea that the programming includes a subroutine to
automatically increase serial numbers is an assumption on my
part.(What would be the point of deliberately giving different
messages the same serial number?)

(2)This happens even though I am opening and sending a /new message/
on a /new form/, (not just editing and resending an existing, saved
file.)

I’m curious if this happens on other platforms:Mac, Windows 10, Linux,
Android…