Re: Flmsg as a Stand-Alone Forms Application

Steve <shansen@...>

I don't take radiograms on voice nets that often but when I do I try to do like you did - enter it directly into Flmsg. First off, my handwriting stinks. Second, it's easy to verify the check sum. Third, I can quickly decode the ARL if present (yeah, I've got it printed on a sheet of paper somewhere but never close at hand). And then everything you say regarding appearance, etc.

Agree totally on W1HKJ &Co.

73, Steve KB1TCE

On 05/10/2015 11:32 AM, Dave Newmyer dnewmye@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

Given our circumstances, it is doubtful that all recipients will have
FLMSG running, but it can be installed fairly quickly, or else at least
read by common text editors.

I recently received an NTS radiogram destined for a new ham in the area
via a regional SSB net on 40M. Took the message, typed it into FLMSG,
then printed out on paper (html report I believe) and hand delivered it
to that individual at a meeting we were both attending at an EOC. The
professional look of the message was well received, and I believe worth
the effort.
By the way, I had not handled any NTS traffic in years prior to that
meeting.

I do appreciate the hard work that W1HKJ and crew put into the FLDIGI
software!

73,

Dave N

On 5/10/2015 7:14 AM, Steve shansen@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Dave.
>
> Is it your expectation that all message recipients will have flmsg
> available?
>
> I think that the NTS folks are looking at some sort of forms solution
> but I'm not quite sure what it might be. We use flmsg for radiograms
> on our Maine digital nets. Our NTS liason moves out-of-area traffic
> via the statewide voice net and I cut and paste to the Airmail NTSD
> format.
>
> 73, Steve KB1TCE
>

> On 05/09/2015 10:37 AM, Dave Newmyer dnewmye@... [NBEMSham] wrote:
>>
>> Our state ARES digital group uses FLMSG with both RMS-EXPRESS and
>> AIRMAIL software. Also, we have used it with tnc-based mailboxes. In
>> some cases we rename the .213 extension to .txt for sending as file
>> attachments, then rename the extension back to .213 .
>>
>> Have also used FLMSG with voice ARRL Radiogram messages. Like the word
>> number check feature, as well as being able to archive the message plus
>> being able to print out in a professional looking format.
>>
>> On 5/8/2015 1:33 PM, shansen@... [NBEMSham] wrote:
>> >
>> > Question: Are other NBEMS users using flmsg with applications other
>> > than fldigi?
>> >

>> > Flmsg's flexibility is noted at the start of the Help file, I'm
>> > curious about how others are using flmsg in addition to its use within
>> > NBEMS.
>> >

>> > <>
>> >
>> > POSITION:
>> >

>> > (The only thing missing is a way to get the text back into flmsg.)
>> >

>> > The other option is to use flmsg's html output and then send the html
>> > file. The file is larger than with the other methods but is not overly
>> > large (say 1k for a flmsg file, 3k for the html). Certainly far better
>> > than sending a scanned document.
>> >

>> > Bottom line, a lot of versatility.
>> >

>> > So – are others using flmsg with more than NBEMS? If so, how and what
>> > might be some current limitations or opportunities for enhancement?
>> >

>> > Thanks and 73,
>> >
>> > Steve KB1TCE
>> >

>> ---

---