Re: Flmsg as a Stand-Alone Forms Application

Dave Newmyer <dnewmye@...>

Given our circumstances, it is doubtful that all recipients will have FLMSG running, but it can be installed fairly quickly, or else at least read by common text editors.

I recently received an NTS radiogram destined for a new ham in the area via a regional SSB net on 40M. Took the message, typed it into FLMSG, then printed out on paper (html report I believe) and hand delivered it to that individual at a meeting we were both attending at an EOC. The professional look of the message was well received, and I believe worth the effort.
By the way, I had not handled any NTS traffic in years prior to that meeting.

I do appreciate the hard work that W1HKJ and crew put into the FLDIGI software!

73,

Dave N

On 5/10/2015 7:14 AM, Steve shansen@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

Thanks for your reply Dave.

Is it your expectation that all message recipients will have flmsg available?

I think that the NTS folks are looking at some sort of forms solution but I'm not quite sure what it might be. We use flmsg for radiograms on our Maine digital nets. Our NTS liason moves out-of-area traffic via the statewide voice net and I cut and paste to the Airmail NTSD format.

73, Steve KB1TCE

On 05/09/2015 10:37 AM, Dave Newmyer dnewmye@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

Our state ARES digital group uses FLMSG with both RMS-EXPRESS and
AIRMAIL software. Also, we have used it with tnc-based mailboxes. In
some cases we rename the .213 extension to .txt for sending as file
attachments, then rename the extension back to .213 .

Have also used FLMSG with voice ARRL Radiogram messages. Like the word
number check feature, as well as being able to archive the message plus
being able to print out in a professional looking format.

On 5/8/2015 1:33 PM, shansen@... [NBEMSham] wrote:

Question: Are other NBEMS users using flmsg with applications other
than fldigi?

Flmsg's flexibility is noted at the start of the Help file, I'm
curious about how others are using flmsg in addition to its use within
NBEMS.

<<snip>>

POSITION:

(The only thing missing is a way to get the text back into flmsg.)

The other option is to use flmsg's html output and then send the html
file. The file is larger than with the other methods but is not overly
large (say 1k for a flmsg file, 3k for the html). Certainly far better
than sending a scanned document.

Bottom line, a lot of versatility.

So – are others using flmsg with more than NBEMS? If so, how and what
might be some current limitations or opportunities for enhancement?

Thanks and 73,

Steve KB1TCE

---