Topics

Another case DESIGN

DuWayne Schmidlkofer
 

I designed and printed a simple one piece case for my unit. Added a small bump out to help protect the rotary switch. Need to use slightly longer screws for mounting. Depending on thickness of battery you add, the case can be sandwiched between the unit and bottom cover to get an extra 1.5 mm for the battery.
DuWayne KV4QB


--
DuWayne  KV4QB

alan victor
 

Excellent!

Alan

________________________________
From: nanovna-users@groups.io <nanovna-users@groups.io> on behalf of DuWayne Schmidlkofer <duwayne@...>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2019 5:45 PM
To: nanovna-users@groups.io <nanovna-users@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nanovna-users] Another case DESIGN


I designed and printed a simple one piece case for my unit. Added a
small bump out to help protect the rotary switch. Need to use slightly
longer screws for mounting. Depending on thickness of battery you add,
the case can be sandwiched between the unit and bottom cover to get an
extra 1.5 mm for the battery.
DuWayne KV4QB


--
DuWayne KV4QB

kg7swp@yahoo.com
 

I'm onboard. Count me in for one, when you are ready.

Thank you,
Ed

JIM Rogers
 

I will buy one when you start making more.

Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...>
 

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 at 18:45, DuWayne Schmidlkofer <duwayne@...> wrote:


I designed and printed a simple one piece case for my unit. Added a
small bump out to help protect the rotary switch. Need to use slightly
longer screws for mounting. Depending on thickness of battery you add,
the case can be sandwiched between the unit and bottom cover to get an
extra 1.5 mm for the battery.
DuWayne KV4QB

I can’t help feeling that there should be some connectors *solidly*
attached to a box. I would use N’s. I have some good quality HP/Agilent N
to SMA adapters which are designed to be chassis mounted. The female pins
are recessed about 0.003”, whereas most N connectors are recessed much
more.

I believe that those SMA connectors on the PCB will easily damage the PCB
if too much stress is put on them



--
DuWayne KV4QB

Dave, G8WRB


--
Dr. David Kirkby,

Frank S
 

I think the N connectors are to bu=ig and will tear the PCB apart. The case would have to be redesigned in a metal box to be strong enough for N connectors.This would also make it not asa portable.
Designing test fixtures for over 25 years, I have seen disasters happen with connectors not supported correctly.
Some VNAs come with 3.5mm (SMA lookalike) connectors and if you use N adapters on them ( 7mm) you have to be careful not to destroy them also.
Like Alan said, I thing jack savers are a good idea on the SMA.
Just my $0.02
Frank

On 7/24/2019 4:56 PM, Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 at 18:45, DuWayne Schmidlkofer <duwayne@...> wrote:

I designed and printed a simple one piece case for my unit. Added a
small bump out to help protect the rotary switch. Need to use slightly
longer screws for mounting. Depending on thickness of battery you add,
the case can be sandwiched between the unit and bottom cover to get an
extra 1.5 mm for the battery.
DuWayne KV4QB
I can???t help feeling that there should be some connectors *solidly*
attached to a box. I would use N???s. I have some good quality HP/Agilent N
to SMA adapters which are designed to be chassis mounted. The female pins
are recessed about 0.003???, whereas most N connectors are recessed much
more.

I believe that those SMA connectors on the PCB will easily damage the PCB
if too much stress is put on them


--
DuWayne KV4QB
Dave, G8WRB

--
Dr. David Kirkby,


Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...>
 

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 00:28, Frank S <ka2fwc@...> wrote:

I think the N connectors are to bu=ig and will tear the PCB apart. The
case would have to be redesigned in a metal box to be strong enough for
N connectors.This would also make it not asa portable.
Designing test fixtures for over 25 years, I have seen disasters happen
with connectors not supported correctly.
Some VNAs come with 3.5mm (SMA lookalike) connectors and if you use N
adapters on them ( 7mm) you have to be careful not to destroy them also.
Like Alan said, I thing jack savers are a good idea on the SMA.
Just my $0.02
Frank

Frank,
I did say that the N connectors should be *solidly* attached to a box.

I think there are numerous mechanical problems with the design of the
NanoVNA, which would be be best solved by putting it in a larger box. The 3
position switch is particularly poor. The lack of sides means dirt will get
in.

I don’t believe that a larger box will significantly reduce the
portability. In fact I am considering fitting a larger 3.2” screen, which
would appear to be possible.

Obviously different people have different ideas, but personally I feel
fitting it in a larger box with decent N connectors would be sensible.

BYW, my HP 8720D has 3.5 mm connectors. They will mate with a standard
female SMA or 3.5 mm, but are not designed to be mated that way. They use a
special NMD connector which is 22 mm AF. I do have a couple of metrology
grade 3.5 mm connectors, but I don’t see any point fitting them. N
connectors will be more suitable for my needs

Dave

--
Dr. David Kirkby,

alan victor
 

I agree David.

The challenge will be to produce a value added enclosure that does not wrap a low cost piece of electronics in a high cost wrapper.

Probably the best approach is for someone to produce a generic enclosure with all the cutouts to handle display, toggle switches, USB ports, boot, slide, and joystick control and N panel mount connectors. Even a little pocket to place your best favorite touch screen stylus would be nice. And finally a place to put and protect your CAL kit.

Now what shall the cost be?

Alan

________________________________
From: nanovna-users@groups.io <nanovna-users@groups.io> on behalf of Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:41 PM
To: nanovna-users@groups.io <nanovna-users@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nanovna-users] Another case DESIGN

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 00:28, Frank S <ka2fwc@...> wrote:

I think the N connectors are to bu=ig and will tear the PCB apart. The
case would have to be redesigned in a metal box to be strong enough for
N connectors.This would also make it not asa portable.
Designing test fixtures for over 25 years, I have seen disasters happen
with connectors not supported correctly.
Some VNAs come with 3.5mm (SMA lookalike) connectors and if you use N
adapters on them ( 7mm) you have to be careful not to destroy them also.
Like Alan said, I thing jack savers are a good idea on the SMA.
Just my $0.02
Frank

Frank,
I did say that the N connectors should be *solidly* attached to a box.

I think there are numerous mechanical problems with the design of the
NanoVNA, which would be be best solved by putting it in a larger box. The 3
position switch is particularly poor. The lack of sides means dirt will get
in.

I don’t believe that a larger box will significantly reduce the
portability. In fact I am considering fitting a larger 3.2” screen, which
would appear to be possible.

Obviously different people have different ideas, but personally I feel
fitting it in a larger box with decent N connectors would be sensible.

BYW, my HP 8720D has 3.5 mm connectors. They will mate with a standard
female SMA or 3.5 mm, but are not designed to be mated that way. They use a
special NMD connector which is 22 mm AF. I do have a couple of metrology
grade 3.5 mm connectors, but I don’t see any point fitting them. N
connectors will be more suitable for my needs

Dave

--
Dr. David Kirkby,

Larry Rothman
 

Here you go....
http://www.hammondmfg.com/RH_BatDoor.htm
The non-gasket version is $5.50 US
You can use the battery storage area for your calibration and other adapters.
I've attached PDFs of the gasket and non-gasket versions.

Cheers.
Larry

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM, alan victor wrote:


I agree David.

The challenge will be to produce a value added enclosure that does not wrap a
low cost piece of electronics in a high cost wrapper.

Probably the best approach is for someone to produce a generic enclosure with
all the cutouts to handle display, toggle switches, USB ports, boot, slide,
and joystick control and N panel mount connectors. Even a little pocket to
place your best favorite touch screen stylus would be nice. And finally a
place to put and protect your CAL kit.

Now what shall the cost be?

Alan

Frank S
 

There is a bunch of "machining" needed to open up the face for the display

On 7/25/2019 11:00 AM, Larry Rothman wrote:
Here you go....
http://www.hammondmfg.com/RH_BatDoor.htm
The non-gasket version is $5.50 US
You can use the battery storage area for your calibration and other adapters.
I've attached PDFs of the gasket and non-gasket versions.

Cheers.
Larry

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM, alan victor wrote:

I agree David.

The challenge will be to produce a value added enclosure that does not wrap a
low cost piece of electronics in a high cost wrapper.

Probably the best approach is for someone to produce a generic enclosure with
all the cutouts to handle display, toggle switches, USB ports, boot, slide,
and joystick control and N panel mount connectors. Even a little pocket to
place your best favorite touch screen stylus would be nice. And finally a
place to put and protect your CAL kit.

Now what shall the cost be?

Alan

Larry Rothman
 

Frank,

Most of the members of this forum probably don't have any issue with a little 'machining'.
A small rotary tool (Dremel) and a saw blade will make a nice clean opening for the display.

I've been designing and building stuff for the past 60 years and it's always been very rewarding.
Also, not everyone has a 3D printer..... my wife won't let me get one 'till I clean up my workshop ;-(

Remember when you did test fixture front panels using Letraset - or even Dymo labels?

Cheers,
Larry

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 01:39 PM, Frank S wrote:


There is a bunch of "machining" needed to open up the face for the display

On 7/25/2019 11:00 AM, Larry Rothman wrote:
Here you go....
http://www.hammondmfg.com/RH_BatDoor.htm
The non-gasket version is $5.50 US
You can use the battery storage area for your calibration and other
adapters.
I've attached PDFs of the gasket and non-gasket versions.

Cheers.
Larry

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM, alan victor wrote:

I agree David.

The challenge will be to produce a value added enclosure that does not wrap
a
low cost piece of electronics in a high cost wrapper.

Probably the best approach is for someone to produce a generic enclosure
with
all the cutouts to handle display, toggle switches, USB ports, boot, slide,
and joystick control and N panel mount connectors. Even a little pocket to
place your best favorite touch screen stylus would be nice. And finally a
place to put and protect your CAL kit.

Now what shall the cost be?

Alan

Frank S
 

I still have an Dymo label maker :-) . I have been doing the same building stuff all my life, and I know a bunch of people that dont build enclosures
I was thinking about some around $10 (plus shipping) and you don't have to kluge anything :-)

On 7/25/2019 1:59 PM, Larry Rothman wrote:
Frank,

Most of the members of this forum probably don't have any issue with a little 'machining'.
A small rotary tool (Dremel) and a saw blade will make a nice clean opening for the display.

I've been designing and building stuff for the past 60 years and it's always been very rewarding.
Also, not everyone has a 3D printer..... my wife won't let me get one 'till I clean up my workshop ;-(

Remember when you did test fixture front panels using Letraset - or even Dymo labels?

Cheers,
Larry

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 01:39 PM, Frank S wrote:

There is a bunch of "machining" needed to open up the face for the display

On 7/25/2019 11:00 AM, Larry Rothman wrote:
Here you go....
http://www.hammondmfg.com/RH_BatDoor.htm
The non-gasket version is $5.50 US
You can use the battery storage area for your calibration and other
adapters.
I've attached PDFs of the gasket and non-gasket versions.

Cheers.
Larry

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM, alan victor wrote:

I agree David.

The challenge will be to produce a value added enclosure that does not wrap
a
low cost piece of electronics in a high cost wrapper.

Probably the best approach is for someone to produce a generic enclosure
with
all the cutouts to handle display, toggle switches, USB ports, boot, slide,
and joystick control and N panel mount connectors. Even a little pocket to
place your best favorite touch screen stylus would be nice. And finally a
place to put and protect your CAL kit.

Now what shall the cost be?

Alan

Stuart Landau
 

I know that there is a great temptation to turn this low cost, limited function VNA into the equivalent of a far more capable instrument. I would hope the best most people could make of it would be to at least have it do what is advertised; ie work reasonably well to 900 MHz.
Unless you have tested OSL devices, you can never have confidence in your results. The most important being a high return loss test load.

Stuart K6YAZ
Los Angeles

On Jul 25, 2019, at 6:41 AM, Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...> wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 at 00:28, Frank S <ka2fwc@...> wrote:

I think the N connectors are to bu=ig and will tear the PCB apart. The
case would have to be redesigned in a metal box to be strong enough for
N connectors.This would also make it not asa portable.
Designing test fixtures for over 25 years, I have seen disasters happen
with connectors not supported correctly.
Some VNAs come with 3.5mm (SMA lookalike) connectors and if you use N
adapters on them ( 7mm) you have to be careful not to destroy them also.
Like Alan said, I thing jack savers are a good idea on the SMA.
Just my $0.02
Frank

Frank,
I did say that the N connectors should be *solidly* attached to a box.

I think there are numerous mechanical problems with the design of the
NanoVNA, which would be be best solved by putting it in a larger box. The 3
position switch is particularly poor. The lack of sides means dirt will get
in.

I don’t believe that a larger box will significantly reduce the
portability. In fact I am considering fitting a larger 3.2” screen, which
would appear to be possible.

Obviously different people have different ideas, but personally I feel
fitting it in a larger box with decent N connectors would be sensible.

BYW, my HP 8720D has 3.5 mm connectors. They will mate with a standard
female SMA or 3.5 mm, but are not designed to be mated that way. They use a
special NMD connector which is 22 mm AF. I do have a couple of metrology
grade 3.5 mm connectors, but I don’t see any point fitting them. N
connectors will be more suitable for my needs

Dave

--
Dr. David Kirkby,


Brent DeWitt
 

Any thoughts on releasing the .stl file to the public (Thingiverse)? Looks like you've done a nice job!

Larry Rothman
 

The stl files can be downloaded from Thingverse.
There are now 2 designs:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=nanovna&dwh=645d49dcb550771

Cheers,
Larry

Any thoughts on releasing the .stl file to the public (Thingiverse)? Looks like you've done a nice job!

JIM Rogers
 

I agree Dave, I was thinking of a larger case with N connectors with short pig tails to SMA. I would love to see if there is a way to use a ls\larger display. Has anyone found a larger display that would work on the black nanovna?

ON7MA
 

Hi Duwayne

Nice Design !!
Since I have a 3D printer of my own, could I get the STL Files, or are they on Thingiverse ? I did not notice them

Tnx anyway for your energy

ON7MA

DuWayne Schmidlkofer
 

Not on Thingiverse yet, but have it on a dropbox I link to in my blog entry on the unit. KV4QB.Blogspot.com

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/74g4z97ly3bz1au/AACTRkE0hDRww3M_5Uj3tkpMa?dl=0

DuWayne

On 8/13/2019 4:43 AM, ON7MA wrote:
Hi Duwayne
Nice Design !!
Since I have a 3D printer of my own, could I get the STL Files, or are they on Thingiverse ? I did not notice them
Tnx anyway for your energy
ON7MA
--
DuWayne  KV4QB

ON7MA
 

Tnx a lot DuWayne,

W5DXP <w5dxp@...>
 

I bought these boxes to put my EasyDigi boards in. My NanoVNA came in today and fits perfectly in one of those boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Prototype-Junction-Enclosure-Portable/dp/B073Y7FW1Q/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=plastic+project+boxes&qid=1568241382&s=gateway&sr=8-9