File /NanoVNA PC Software/Screendump/GetScreenSE.exe uploaded #file-notice

nanovna-users@groups.io Notification <noreply@...>

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the nanovna-users@groups.io group.

By: Karl Jan Skontorp

The Second Edition of GetScreen program to a PC. The program now supports different models of the NanoVNA and also the nice tinySA.

BjornA LA1BN

Hi and tnx for a really helpful piece of software!. It works fb with my TinySA but stops half way getting the dump from my NanoVNA. Ver.0.4.5-1-gfbbceca
what can I do to make it work?
73 Bjorn

Tripp, K5TRP

You have to use the DiSlord firmware to get screenshots which is here: https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users/files/Dislord%27s%20Nanovna%20-H%20Firmware/NanoVNA%20v1.0.39.rar if you have the 2.8 inch screen use the “H” version and if you have the 4 inch screen then use the “H4” version.

BjornA LA1BN

Thank you Tripp!
I have the 2.8inch version and will try to upgrade. Will there be any changes to the user interface or is it the same as I'm using now?
LA1BN Bjorn

Tripp, K5TRP

It shouldn’t change too much.

DougVL

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 10:37 AM, Tripp K5TRP wrote:

You have to use the DiSlord firmware to get screenshots
That's not quite the case. I've used GetScreenSE with firmware from OneOfEleven and hugen. And on my NanoVNA-F, as well.
To save screenshots right in the Nano, it needs a specific firmware - and the microSD card socket addition (modification).
Not all versions of firmwares support the "screen dump" feature that GetScreenSE uses, but some newer ones do.
The key here might be the phrases "screenshot" and "screen dump." At least, to me, a screenshot is saved right on the device, and a "dump" is sent to another device, such as a printer or a PC.
--
Doug, K8RFT

BjornA LA1BN

Thanks to Tipp and Dough !
But I'm still a bit confused. My nVNA is a nVNA-H. Version: 0.4.5-1-gfbbceca. It does not work with the Getscreen dump software
I have downloaded and examined at the firmware recommended by Tripp:
https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users/files/Dislord%27s%20Nanovna%20-H%20Firmware/NanoVNA%20v1.0.39.rar
and it sayes it is for the -H4 version. Can I use it anyway?
What additional software do I need to take a backup of the present firmware and implement the new one to the VNA ?
Is it great functional differences between the firmware versions?
If the implementation crashes, will I be able to put back the saved backup wihout problems?

Regards Bjorn LA1BN

Tripp, K5TRP

You can use this to flash and download the firmware off of it:
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32080.html#getsoftware-scroll
you can use the “upload” to download from the nanovna. The “upgrade” to
upload the firmware to the vna. Inside the rar file is a firmware marked
for the “H” version.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 4:00 AM BjornA <bjorn.alstad2@...> wrote:

Thanks to Tipp and Dough !
But I'm still a bit confused. My nVNA is a nVNA-H. Version:
0.4.5-1-gfbbceca. It does not work with the Getscreen dump software
I have downloaded and examined at the firmware recommended by Tripp:

https://groups.io/g/nanovna-users/files/Dislord%27s%20Nanovna%20-H%20Firmware/NanoVNA%20v1.0.39.rar

and it sayes it is for the -H4 version. Can I use it anyway?
What additional software do I need to take a backup of the present
firmware and implement the new one to the VNA ?
Is it great functional differences between the firmware versions?
If the implementation crashes, will I be able to put back the saved backup
wihout problems?

Regards Bjorn LA1BN

--
73,
Tripp Sanders
K5TRP

DougVL

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 05:58 AM, Tripp K5TRP wrote:

and it sayes it is for the -H4 version. Can I use it anyway?
What additional software do I need to take a backup of the present
firmware and implement the new one to the VNA ?
Is it great functional differences between the firmware versions?
If the implementation crashes, will I be able to put back the saved backup
wihout problems?
The -H4 version is different and NOT compatible.
According to some of the firmware developers, you cannot hurt the nvna by uploading incorrect firmware. It just won't work. Then you can upload another version. I have uploaded (installed) at least 6 different versions so far.

Sorry, but I can't help with saving your original firmware first, though.

By the way, "Version: 0.4.5-1-gfbbceca" is the version of your firmware, not of your nvna. Firmware for -H4 and for -F will not work for you. There is a newer hardware version, -H2.3 or -H2.4, which uses different firmware. Almost all versions will work in your nvna.

The 'screen dump' capability was not in older firmware, like yours, so GetScreenSE cannot work with them. Try the firmware from/by OneOfEleven, and the PC software by OneOfEleven as well. It can also capture the screen, if I remember correctly.

Remember - you can't hurt your nanovna with the wrong firmware. It just won't work, and you can easily replace the firmware with a different version as many times as you want to or need to.

Good luck!

--
Doug, K8RFT

DougVL

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 11:05 AM, BjornA wrote:

Will there be any changes to the user interface or is it the same as I'm using
now?
There will, but they may be so small that you won't notice the difference. The changes are (mostly) just added (new) features.
The basic operation will remain the same.

--
Doug, K8RFT

Martin J.K.

You may try NanoVNA-App by OneOfEleven to upload the firmware.
Download link:
https://github.com/OneOfEleven/NanoVNA-H/

Open Release folder and download the latest version. No need to install.
Just copy it in the folder you like and execute. You will see a button with two
triangles at the top of the program screen. It is for firmware update.

It is for NanoVNA-H and NanoVNA-H4. The easiest method I have seen.
It works on my NanoVNA-H 2.8'' and Windows 7 64-bit.

Good luck.

Martin 9A2JK