Here are the final pre-production prototypes, and plots showing uncalibrated and calibrated S21 floor. PCB files will be released when V2 is available for order. The LCD connector can accept the 4 inch ST7796S LCD as well, and firmware support for that will be done before product release.

Note that not all of the shield can positions will be populated in production: some shields positions are found to give no performance improvement. The characterization of S21 floor was done with only 4 shields populated. If you get a unit with only 2 to 4 shields populated it's not necessarily a fake!

Helmut Wabnig

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 06:32:32 -0800, you wrote:

Here are the final pre-production prototypes, and plots showing uncalibrated and calibrated S21 floor. PCB files will be released when V2 is available for order. The LCD connector can accept the 4 inch ST7796S LCD as well, and firmware support for that will be done before product release.

Note that not all of the shield can positions will be populated in production: some shields positions are found to give no performance improvement. The characterization of S21 floor was done with only 4 shields populated. If you get a unit with only 2 to 4 shields populated it's not necessarily a fake!
Shields will only show performance in a RF environment,
if your lab is clean, you will not notice anything.
So keep the shields in place, please.

Going to become a VolksVNA.

OE8UWW

David J Taylor

From: Gabriel Tenma White

Subject: [nanovna-users] First PCB pictures of the V2

Here are the final pre-production prototypes, and plots showing uncalibrated and calibrated S21 floor. PCB files will be released when V2 is available for order. The LCD connector can accept the 4 inch ST7796S LCD as well, and firmware support for that will be done before product release.

Note that not all of the shield can positions will be populated in production: some shields positions are found to give no performance improvement. The characterization of S21 floor was done with only 4 shields populated. If you get a unit with only 2 to 4 shields populated it's not necessarily a fake!

Gabriel,

This looks most encouraging - especially if the 3 GHz performance it as shown! I would certainly be tempted to get one (it would be my third) but only if it comes in a boxed unit, with the same 4.3-inch display or similar. I.e. a 3 GHz version of the NanoVNA-F.

Congratulations!

David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Bilbo

Ouch, the toggle switch between the outputs? Inconvenient to say at least. I would hope you find a better switch than this one it is to easy damaged especially in the position it is in. Will you be offering 2 versions or will you let the user decide to upgrade to the larger screen? How will you handle the switch over? Menu driven or a software change? Also, are you keeping the convoluted way the regular nano is using for software upgrade or do you use the way the -F is doing it? If it is done the old way the unit has only limited value to most people as the majority of the people will never upgrade the unit.

-Bilbo

Sam Reaves

Looks good. What is the lowest frequency you can set the unit to?

Sam
W3OHM

shields: I'll be characterizing the sensitivity to external interference before making a final decision on which shields to include.

jog switch: in our tests the switch's position didn't affect usability with cables connected. The switch is less likely to be damaged because it does not protrude as much as it does on the original Nano, and in this position the RF connectors actually protect it from being jammed.

firmware upgrade: the F303 used in the V2 does not have a built in bootloader, so we will look into choices of bootloaders. Most likely the upgrade process will be similar to the -F, but I can't make any promises yet.

display: The ST7796S is command-compatible with the ILI9341 so menu-driven switchover may be doable. I can see an image when I swap a ST7796S display in without any code changes, just in a corner of the screen and flipped. The team will make a decision about whether to offer two versions for sale.

lowest frequency supported: 50kHz, same as the original Nano

Sam Reaves

I wish you had chosen an alternate location for the selection switch. Right
between the connectors will be awkward to use. It probably would have been
better to swap the switch and USB connector positions.

Sam Reaves
ARS W3OHM

Reinier Gerritsen

Nice job! I can't wait to get one, I could really use one for BLE antenna development. Can I be a beta tester?

Op 17-12-2019 om 15:32 schreef Gabriel Tenma White:

Here are the final pre-production prototypes, and plots showing uncalibrated and calibrated S21 floor. PCB files will be released when V2 is available for order. The LCD connector can accept the 4 inch ST7796S LCD as well, and firmware support for that will be done before product release.

Note that not all of the shield can positions will be populated in production: some shields positions are found to give no performance improvement. The characterization of S21 floor was done with only 4 shields populated. If you get a unit with only 2 to 4 shields populated it's not necessarily a fake!

GM4CID

Good job, perhaps offer the option to rotate display 180 degrees so connectors and jog switch point away from user.

John Ackermann N8UR

Just another voice asking for a large screen version -- I would really
like that!

Thanks for all you're doing!

John
----

On 12/17/19 11:44 AM, Gabriel Tenma White wrote:
[...]

Dale Parfitt

How does this differ from the 4.3" NanoVNA-F already available?

Tnx,
Dale W4OP

[...]

hwalker

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM, Dale Parfitt wrote:

How does this differ from the 4.3" NanoVNA-F already available?

Recapping from information info previously provided in this thread and elsewhere:

1. Frequency range expected to be 50kHz to 3GHz.
2. Typical S11 floor is -50dB up to 2GHz and -40dB up to 3GHz
3. -70dB S21 floor below 2GHz and -60dB floor up to 3GHz
4. 4 inch display currently being prototyped

- Herb

Dale Parfitt

Thank you Herb,
So much traffic, I missed the specs.

Dale W4OP

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM, Dale Parfitt wrote:

How does this differ from the 4.3" NanoVNA-F already available?

Recapping from information info previously provided in this thread and elsewhere:

1. Frequency range expected to be 50kHz to 3GHz.
2. Typical S11 floor is -50dB up to 2GHz and -40dB up to 3GHz
3. -70dB S21 floor below 2GHz and -60dB floor up to 3GHz
4. 4 inch display currently being prototyped

- Herb

brianbgarber@...

Great stuff. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but are there plans for Bluetooth?

Thanks,
Brian WB8AM

hwalker

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 10:40 AM, Dale Parfitt wrote:

Thank you Herb, So much traffic, I missed the specs.

Dale,
I'd like to add a correction regarding the display size:

Gabriel indicated in her previous message that a working proto-type is already available using a 3.2" ILI9341 display. A 4" ST7796S display is being evaluated as an option by menu-driven switchover. Her team will make a decision about whether to offer two versions for sale.

- Herb

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 at 20:45, hwalker <herbwalker2476@...> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 10:40 AM, Dale Parfitt wrote:

Thank you Herb, So much traffic, I missed the specs.

Dale,
I'd like to add a correction regarding the display size:

Gabriel indicated in her previous message that a working proto-type is
already available using a 3.2" ILI9341 display. A 4" ST7796S display is
being evaluated as an option by menu-driven switchover. Her team will
make a decision about whether to offer two versions for sale.
I would also like to add my voice to the many that would want to purchase
this with a larger screen.

How does the larger screen you may or may note use compare with the 4.3" on
the NanoVNA-F? The 4.3" of the -F is more attractive than 4" for obvious
reasons, but how about pixel count, and other technical features about the
screen.

I don't know if I'm unusual, but for me, the screen is more important than
the pure performance, as great performance is no use if you can't see the
blinking thing. Of course, if you are going to use it in a lab, with a PC
interface, the screen is pretty irrelevant. But there seem to be enough
people wanting a decent screen. The 6.5" on my iPhone XS max would be nice.
Ouch, that phone was ยฃ1250, so it's not a fair comparison! But seriously,
size matters. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Terry VK5TM

Any chance you can add the option of rotating the display graphics 180 deg?

I can see the cables coming out of the bottom being a nuisance in some instances.

And please get rid of that ridiculous "jog" button, it is the most annoying thing since I don't know when.

--
Terry VK5TM
https://www.vk5tm.com ( https://vk5tm.com )

n2msqrp

Thanks for the update.

Could you use a more robust switch like that on the NanoVNA-F?

Looking forward to getting a unit.

Mike N2MS

Pierre Martel

got a price range for the unit?