Please change project name: NanoVNA V2


edy555@...
 

Hello folks,

I'm edy555, the original developer of NanoVNA.
This is the first time to post this group.
It's very exciting that such many people enjoy the gadget from my small project.

By the way, according to this thread discussion, it seems that a new and wonderful VNA project is in progress.
If my project triggered a new VNA project, it is my great pleasure.

But as far as I can see, its design is quite different from NanoVNA, so the project here needs to be named differently than NanoVNA.
And in addition, I have a plan to develop a new design of VNA my own, which has extended frequency range. I might hope to give my project that name.
Therefore I'd like to request people related to the V2 project to change its name.

I hope you have respect for the original and think about this issue seriously.
And many thanks to all people here who like NanoVNA.

Regards,

Tomohiro - TTRFTECH @edy555


Rune Broberg
 

Tomohiro,
thank you very much for your efforts in creating this project, and for your
continued effort in developing both the firmware, and any upcoming new
revisions of the hardware! It is a great asset, and your efforts have been
the seed that created this blossoming community.

I fully support and stand by your request to not have other projects,
particularly ones of a completely different design, infringing on the name
you have chosen. I trust that any serious vendor would as well!

I look forward to seeing and hearing more from you in the future!

--
Rune / 5Q5R

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 17:33, <edy555@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm edy555, the original developer of NanoVNA.
This is the first time to post this group.
It's very exciting that such many people enjoy the gadget from my small
project.

By the way, according to this thread discussion, it seems that a new and
wonderful VNA project is in progress.
If my project triggered a new VNA project, it is my great pleasure.

But as far as I can see, its design is quite different from NanoVNA, so
the project here needs to be named differently than NanoVNA.
And in addition, I have a plan to develop a new design of VNA my own,
which has extended frequency range. I might hope to give my project that
name.
Therefore I'd like to request people related to the V2 project to change
its name.

I hope you have respect for the original and think about this issue
seriously.
And many thanks to all people here who like NanoVNA.

Regards,

Tomohiro - TTRFTECH @edy555




hwalker
 

Tomohiro,
Welcome to the group! We all appreciate your pioneering work on the open source NanoVNA project. The fact that the NanoVNA works so reliably when produced by so many different clone manufacturers is a testament to the correctness of your original engineering design. Gabriel Tenma White estimates that the NanoVNA-H has reached a current sells volume of around 4000 units/month. I'm sure you lament not marketing your original design prior to Hugen getting his clone of your open source project to market. It would be interesting to hear why you decided not to manufacture the unit in 2017 or 2018 after your design was pretty much complete. Glad you plan to develope another VNA design. If its as good as the NanoVNA then there will be a ready market for you.

Regards,

Herb


Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...>
 

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 16:39, Rune Broberg <mihtjel@gmail.com> wrote:

Tomohiro,
thank you very much for your efforts in creating this project, and for your
continued effort in developing both the firmware, and any upcoming new
revisions of the hardware! It is a great asset, and your efforts have been
the seed that created this blossoming community.

I fully support and stand by your request to not have other projects,
particularly ones of a completely different design, infringing on the name
you have chosen. I trust that any serious vendor would as well!

I look forward to seeing and hearing more from you in the future!

--
Rune / 5Q5R

Rune,
if you consider supporting other VNAs too, it might be worthwhile dropping
the “NanoVNA” from the name of your software. That would get around the
possibility of confusion, as it seems that there are several people
releasing products with a very similar name.

I used to work on the port of an open source mathematics research package
called Sage. I always thought the name was a bit dubious as there is
accounting software of the same name. The lead developer dismissed my
concerns. He said that the packages are so completely different, it was not
a problem. Some years later he did rename the software to Sagemath.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom


Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...>
 

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 16:33, <edy555@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm edy555, the original developer of NanoVNA.

Hello edy555. I see plenty of references to you, but I found your email and
hope that you can answer my question.

And in addition, I have a plan to develop a new design of VNA my own, which
has extended frequency range.

Can you please give us a *very* approximate time scale for this? Do you
have plans to use a larger screen? The size of the screen is the single
most annoying aspect I find of the NanoVNA. I appreciate that a large
screen maybe the most expensive component. I personally would be willing to
pay more for that.

I am tempted to buy a NanoVNA-F, but I am a bit worried about the firmware
development on that. If you came out with a model with a larger screen, I
would almost certainly buy it.

It would be nice if you produce a webpage giving the link to any website
where you sell your version, plus any authorised distributors. Then people
would know at least one decent source. Currently there are several people
claiming to be authorised distributors of NanoVNA, claiming there’s is
better.

Dave.


--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom


Daniel Marks
 

You might want to check out this project

http://hforsten.com/cheap-homemade-30-mhz-6-ghz-vector-network-analyzer.html

as a starting point for a design with more bandwidth. Alas, the licenses
are not specified, as usual, making using or marketing this design
difficult.



On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:34 AM Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd
<drkirkby@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 at 16:33, <edy555@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm edy555, the original developer of NanoVNA.

Hello edy555. I see plenty of references to you, but I found your email and
hope that you can answer my question.

And in addition, I have a plan to develop a new design of VNA my own, which
has extended frequency range.

Can you please give us a *very* approximate time scale for this? Do you
have plans to use a larger screen? The size of the screen is the single
most annoying aspect I find of the NanoVNA. I appreciate that a large
screen maybe the most expensive component. I personally would be willing to
pay more for that.

I am tempted to buy a NanoVNA-F, but I am a bit worried about the firmware
development on that. If you came out with a model with a larger screen, I
would almost certainly buy it.

It would be nice if you produce a webpage giving the link to any website
where you sell your version, plus any authorised distributors. Then people
would know at least one decent source. Currently there are several people
claiming to be authorised distributors of NanoVNA, claiming there’s is
better.

Dave.


--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom




W5DXP <w5dxp@...>
 

Tomohiro, you have given me the most performance for the least cost of any electronic device that I can remember and I can't thank you enough. I wonder how many total NanoVNAs, have been manufactured and how anyone could be selling them for $17?


Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...>
 

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 17:16, Daniel Marks <profdc9@gmail.com> wrote:

You might want to check out this project


http://hforsten.com/cheap-homemade-30-mhz-6-ghz-vector-network-analyzer.html

as a starting point for a design with more bandwidth. Alas, the licenses
are not specified, as usual, making using or marketing this design
difficult.

Thank you. The 30 MHz lower end on frequency m would limit its usefulness
to me.

There are a *lot* of designs coming out for VNAs.

The main work looks to be in the software - perhaps the reason software
options can cost more than the hardware for commercial VNAs.. I believe a
Keysight FieldFox with all the software options would cost more than twice
the price of the same instrument with no software options.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom


Dr. David Kirkby from Kirkby Microwave Ltd <drkirkby@...>
 

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 17:49, W5DXP <w5dxp@arrl.net> wrote:

Tomohiro, you have given me the most performance for the least cost of any
electronic device that I can remember and I can't thank you enough.

Agreed. It’s wonderful device for the money.

I wonder how many total NanoVNAs, have been manufactured and how anyone
could be selling them for $17?

I am 99.99% sure that the $17 are a scam. I bought one for $20 or so, but I
don’t believe that it will ever arrive.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom


Oristo
 

The main work looks to be in the software
Value and profits increase when hardware, firmware and software
integrate nicely and require minimal printed documentation.


Oristo
 

I am 99.99% sure that the $17 are a scam.
Among my many eBay purchases (3 pages so far of 2019 order history),
the only real scam not reported to me by eBay was for a used electric guitar.

Two orders from overseas played the free gift to trick reported delivery time,
but nearly all arrived within originally cited delivery windows.

Defective items are another story...
most incorrect items were from North American sources.


Larry Rothman
 

Anything sold for under $30 is 99% fraudulent. 



On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 12:49 PM, W5DXP<w5dxp@arrl.net> wrote: Tomohiro, you have given me the most performance for the least cost of any electronic device that I can remember and I can't thank you enough. I wonder how many total NanoVNAs, have been manufactured and how anyone could be selling them for $17?