Re: errors of "error" models

Gary O'Neil

Hello again YZA;

I have not yet attempted to install the relevant software and math engine required to compile and run your Fortran code, and it would take some effort on my part (or any evaluator not programatically versed or equipped) to work through that process. Before investing the effort to do so, I am attempting to understand the goals and objectives of your work, and if or how it might benefit users of the NanoVNA, and the VNA community overall.

The principal utility and benefit of the NanoVNA is it's size and portability. To that end, it is limited in its available reserve of stand alone computational resources. Additionally; most users on this forum are not motivated to invest in high quality (accurately characterized) calibration standards that cost many times the price of the device itself. System requirements of the evaluator(s) need to be clearly defined.

The software you describe would, by necessity, require PC connectivity, and operates on data files collected by the NanoVNA and ported to your software for statistical analysis in order to derive the error bounded plots shown in your documentation. There are sophisticated VNA users in this group that might find great interest in your work if the goals, objectives, system requirements, output results, and the utility and benefit of those results were clearly presented such that they could be easily and clearly understood in the context of how they might enhance the quality of the NanoVNA measurements. Those users are likely a minority. There may be an even smaller subset of this group that may simply have an academic interest in your work.

I think your documentation may be sufficient for those motivated to dig into the details of your algorithms; given that there is a clear benefit for investing in that effort. What type of support are you requesting from this group? What dictates the need to distribute Fortran code? Can it not be compiled and distributed as a stand alone executable, and a readme.txt file outlining the detailed feedback content you desire?

73

Gary, N3GO

--
73