Re: Newbie questions

hwalker

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 02:58 PM, S Johnson wrote:

RigExpert AA-230 Zoom
The RigExpert AA-230 Zoom is priced about 7 times the cost of the nanoVNA so its really not fair to compare the two. Having said that, other users on this forum have compared the results from the nanoVNA favorably with much higher priced antenna analyzers and VNA's that they own. The RigExpert AA-230 Zoom covers 100K-200M while the stock nanoVNA covers 50k-900M. For antenna tuning, you are pretty well set with the RigExpert AA-230 Zoom unless you need to go beyond 230 MHz. The RigExpert AA-230 Zoom is a one port device so you cannot perform amplifier gain, attenuator loss, filter shape or other two port measurements as you can with the nanoVNA. For me, being able to perform those measurements was worth the $50 I paid for my nanoVNA. If you keep in mind that it is a $50 hobbyist device you won't be disappointed in its performance. I spent more and gotten less from other equipment I own.

The are three primary variants being sold: Hugen's original design with shielded inputs (my personal favorite), the white case design with salamander logo, and a design that is similar to Hugen's but without shielding and the "CH0" printscreen marking is missing. None of our forum members have been able to measure a definitive performance difference between the variants when using the same firmware. If you decide to purchase any of the variants read what is included and examine the photos carefully. Some units are sold without a battery or without a calibration kit included. That's addition money you would need to spend unless you already have those items.