Performance of my nanovna V2 clone - return loss of port 2 seems much too high ?

Peter Ide-Kostic <on7yi.pik973@...>

Hello,

I bought a nanovna V2 <https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2.html> on Aliexpress a
while ago. When I received it, I realized that it was a clone which I did
not expect, but ok, I managed (as usual)

I then checked the performance vis a vis of the official nanovna-v2
specifications <https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2.html#specifications> .
Fortunately, on the positive side, there was no problem regarding the S21
dynamic range and regarding the S11 noise floor that both met the nanovna
V2 specifications. However I was a bit puzzled to discover that the return
loss of port 2 of my clone was unfortunately much higher than what is
officially specified....

official return loss specifications for port 2
20dB at 1.5 Ghz, 13 dB at 3 ghz

my measurements after calibration (see picture)
15.7 dB at 1.5 Ghz and 9.5 dB at 3Ghz

I wondering if
- I am doing something wrong the way I did this measurement
- if I am the only owner of a clone with this specific performance problem
on port 2
- if owners of the genuine nanovna V2 also have the performance issue
- what is the value of the attenuator that you possibly use on port 2
during calibration to compensate for the sub-optimal return loss (I use
between 6 and 12dB depending on the accuracy I need and the dynamic range I
am willing to sacrifice)

Thanks for sharing your return on experience regarding this issue

[image: image.png]