Topics

May 2020 NABRC Monthly Newsletter

North Augusta Belvedere Radio Club

K4NAB FB Group Header
ladderln

May Meeting

WHEN: May 11, 2020
7:00 PM - Meeting

WHERE: Zoom (Meeting is scheduled for 2 hours, but may not run anywhere near that long. Please note that all members will be muted upon entry, but can unmute to discuss things or ask questions.)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89046826153?pwd=aVhWaGd2RXV6TG5HS0RMdWhWbHJ3dz09

Meeting ID: 890 4682 6153
Password: 576097

One tap mobile
+16468769923,,89046826153#,,1#,576097# US (New York)
+13017158592,,89046826153#,,1#,576097# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 890 4682 6153
Password: 576097

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/keaRSN2174

TALK-IN: TBA

Program: ARRL Section Manager Dr. Marc Tarplee will be our guest presenter. We will also discuss whether or not to hold Field Day this year.
ladderln

Upcoming Events

TBA
ladderln

Emergency Ventilator Designed and Constructed by Hams Going to FDA

Emergency Ventilator Designed and Constructed by Hams Going to FDA
Radio amateurs have succeeded in providing a complete, working ventilator system to University of Florida researchers who are in the process of applying to the Food and Drug Administration for an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). A successful submission would blaze the way for volunteers and manufacturers around the world to create low-cost, highly functional Intensive Care Unit (ICU) or anesthesia-care ventilators that offer many of the features of modern ventilators at a fraction of the typical cost. Dr. Gordon Gibby, KX4Z, who is associated with the project, said efforts to further improve the device are ongoing.

"We made a stunning improvement in accuracy of the system and measuring volumes last night at about 1 AM," he told ARRL. "Accuracy of that particular alarm measurement went from about 300%, down to about 10%. The FDA submission is being readied, but we keep making engineering improvements."

Gibby credited some of the primary volunteers. "Bob Benedict, KD8CGH, has provided incredible volunteer testing, now exceeding 1.6 million cycles on one crucial valve and 300,000 on another. Jack Purdum, W8TEE, is the main 'code-cleaner' for one of multiple teams building software, following the initial lead of Marcelo Varanda, VA3MVV. Ashhar Farhan, VU2ESE, not only created the ventilator controller schematic but the printed circuit board layout that will be part of an expected University of Florida submission." Farhan was among the founding code writers of what we now know as Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

Other hams worked on mechanical designs for flow measurements and retooled potential manufacturing capabilities otherwise used to produce transceivers. In another example of ham radio ingenuity, Marc Winzenried, WA9ZCO, modified a readily available lawn sprinkler to serve as a durable expiratory valve. This development enabled the ventilator to go more than 1 million breaths before significant valve issues developed, and the part can be replaced for less than $15.

The completed prototype in Florida was built using typical tools by a radio amateur, and assembled boards provided by LifeMech, a manufacturer working with the project. Farhan crafted an extendable menu structure for the Arduino Nano-based controller, and gas-flow measurements are made every few milliseconds by an I2C-based differential pressure transducer that can measure down to tiny PSI fractions, allowing the design to accurately track patient-induced variations in the volume of delivered gasses.

"Using Wenzenried's expiratory valve, electronic on-off control at the rate of 30 Hz allows modulation of the valve to set the continuous airway pressure used to keep the patient's lung alveoli open against virus-induced water-logging of the connective tissue," Gibby explained.

"Perhaps the most surprising development was the addition of the ability to sense patient effort to take a breath and immediately switch to assisting the patient with that breath, known as 'assist-control' ventilation," Gibby said. "This is expected to allow far lighter sedation of patients -- potentially even no sedation." Read more.

ARRL Letter from April 30, 2020.
ladderln

Submissions

If you have anything you would like included in the newsletter, please email club@... with your submission. It can be an article about something Amateur Radio related or an upcoming Amateur Radio event.

Also, visit us on the web and on social media by clicking the images below:

facebook twitter website email
ladderln