K4NAB FB Page Header v1 2017
ladderln

June Meeting

WHEN: Monday, June 11, 2018
6:30 PM - Fellowship
7:00 PM - Meeting

WHERE: Aiken Regional Medical Center
6th Floor, Classrooms A and B
University Parkway
Aiken, SC

TALK-IN: 145.350 Mhz (-) (PL tone: 156.7)

Program: ALL THINGS FIELD DAY! Kevan Nason, N4XL, will be giving a special presentation on Field Day operating. And of course we will be discussing FD plans for June 23 & 24th.
ladderln

Field Day - June 23-24, 2018

The Annual National ARRL Field Day for the North Augusta Belvedere Radio Club and the Aiken County ARES will be held on June 23 starting at 2:00 PM until June 24 at 2:00 PM. The location for Field Day is the Aiken County Government Complex located at 1930 University Parkway in Aiken, South Carolina.

Setup times will be sent out by a separate message closer to the date.

We will be operating 5A again and will be using multiple Flex Radios and will be operating SSB, CW, PSK-31 and much more. In 2017, we made 8,878 points and 2,336 contacts. We were 1st in South Carolina in 2017 and 6th in 5A!

We will have a low country boil for those who help out at Field Day.

You can sign up at the June meeting or online at https://k4nab.org/sign-up/.

Everyone is welcome to attend and get on the air, even if you are not licensed!

If you would like to help or for more information, please contact Greg, K5CVD, at godseygreg@... or Kevin, KJ4IVJ, at kevink92057@....
ladderln

Eagles Guitarist Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, Promotes Amateur Radio in Media Announcements

Legendary rock guitarist Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, of the Eagles is featured in a just-released set of ARRL audio and video public service announcements promoting Amateur Radio. ARRL will provide the 30- and 60-second PSAs to Public Information Officers (PIOs) to share with their Section's television and radio stations. The ARRL Media and Public Relations Department also will provide these announcements files directly to interested television and radio outlets, and the announcements are available for downloading from the ARRL website for members to use in promoting Amateur Radio at club meetings and public presentations, such as ARRL Field Day on June 23-24 (PSAs specifically for ARRL Field Day also are available). Those PSAs will also be available for download from the ARRL website, so that members can present them at club meetings and other public gatherings.

Walsh, who visited ARRL Headquarters last year for taping, wanted to deliver two main messages in his PSAs: Get involved in Amateur Radio, and become a member of ARRL. The messages highlight the tremendous service that radio amateurs provide to communities, and convey how ARRL advocates on behalf of Amateur Radio on a wide range of legal and political issues.
An ARRL Life Member and longtime radio amateur, Walsh personally has been a strong supporter and advocate of ARRL and Amateur Radio, and his ham shack is just as impressive as his home recording studio. "I want to give back to the hobby that has given me so much enjoyment," he said.

The setting for the PSAs was W1AW, which Walsh was especially eager to revisit. The occasion also offered him an opportunity to see equipment he'd donated to W1AW years earlier. Walsh's past on-the-air forays on W1AW have always attracted enthusiastic pileups. While at W1AW, he spent some chatting with station manager Joe Carcia, NJ1Q, about the station's operations. Walsh is a well-known collector of vintage Amateur Radio equipment.

Creating the videos were Media and Public Relations Assistant Michelle Patnode, KC1JTA; freelance videographer/photographer Chris Zajac, and former Media and Public Relations Manager Sean Kutzko, KX9X, who also recorded a tag line for ARRL Audio News with Walsh.

Tips for getting audio PSAs on the air are available on the PSA for promotions web page.

From the February 1, 2018 ARRL Letter.
ladderln

On the Web

You can visit our website at https://www.k4nab.org for more information about our club, upcoming events, and a member directory.

You can join our Facebook page or follow our Twitter feed by clicking the link below.
facebook twitter
ladderln

Subscribe

Did a friend send you this newsletter? Would you like to receive your own copy each month? You can subscribe at https://k4nab.org/documents/newsletter-archive/newsletter-signup/.