April 2020 NABRC Monthly Newsletter

North Augusta Belvedere Radio Club

K4NAB FB Group Header
ladderln

April Meeting

WHEN: April 13, 2020
7:00 PM - Meeting

WHERE: Zoom (Meeting is scheduled for 2 hours, but may not run anywhere near that long. Please note that all members will be muted upon entry, but can unmute to discuss things or ask questions.)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/183626662?pwd=MEI4UnFFSVJQQjN1Z0dWZENrRTN6dz09

Meeting ID: 183 626 662
Password: 850384

One tap mobile
+13126266799,,183626662# US (Chicago)
+16468769923,,183626662# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

Meeting ID: 183 626 662
Password: 850384

Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kt767L47B

TALK-IN: TBA

Program: Dave will be discussing a OCF Presentation.
ladderln

Upcoming Events

TBA
ladderln

HamSCI 2020 Workshop Successfully Reworked as a Virtual Event

Despite the coronavirus pandemic, the March 20 - 21 HamSCI Workshop went on as scheduled, moving to a free, all-digital webinar workshop. The theme of the 2020 workshop was "The Auroral Connection -- How does the aurora affect amateur radio, and what can we learn about the aurora from radio techniques?" Organizer and
University of Scranton professor Nathaniel Frissell, W2NAF, told ARRL that he was quite happy with the outcome, after the in-person workshop had to be called off as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

"In some ways, it was good for us," Frissell said. "We actually got many more participants than had we just held it in person." Expectations for the live event were for about 100 participants. Online, Zoom -- the webinar platform used for the workshop -- reported 290 unique logins from 24 countries. After cancellation of the in-person workshop, Frissell had to scramble to make the virtual event a reality.

"I had the webinar running in practice mode for about 2 or 3 days before the workshop, and I let presenters log in whenever they wanted to test things out," Frissell said.
Another hurdle to overcome was figuring out how to convert poster presentations to electronic format. "The Aurorasaurus group really helped out with that," Frissell said, noting that Aurorasaurus Project manager Laura Brandt came up with a method for presenting the posters electronically and made sure the poster session ran smoothly.
In a blog post, Brandt called the workshop "the first of its kind in heliophysics." The Aurorasaurus Project theme is "Reporting Auroras from the Ground Up."

"The annual HamSCI Workshop provided the perfect opportunity to introduce citizen scientists and scientists from the aurora and ham radio communities and build connections for future collaboration," Brandt said. "Both aurora and ham radio citizen scientists work closely with the Earth's atmosphere and ionosphere, but while aurora folks tend to think about how what we see reveals aspects of the ionosphere, ham radio operators tend to think about what radio waves can tell us about the ionosphere."
Oral presentations were delivered as originally scheduled and in the same format as if they were being delivered at the in-person workshop.

The workshop served as a team meeting for the HamSCI Personal Space Weather Station project that's funded by a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to Frissell as its principal investigator. The project seeks to harness the power of a network of radio amateurs to better understand and measure the effects of weather in the upper levels of Earth's atmosphere.

Workshop presentations are being archived. Read more.

ARRL Letter from April 2, 2020.
ladderln

Submissions

If you have anything you would like included in the newsletter, please email club@... with your submission. It can be an article about something Amateur Radio related or an upcoming Amateur Radio event.

Also, visit us on the web and on social media by clicking the images below:

facebook twitter website email
ladderln