Topics

PACTOR 1 info

Steve Rose

Hi all.
Looking for basic info on   receiving and decoding PACTOR 1 with Multipsk  and current frequencies,,,..
I take it that a HAM radio licence is not required to decode or Pactor Modem.. ..

73 Steve UK

WB9EZB

you do not need a license to decode pactor.  Most pactor today
is pactor 2 or higher which requires a very expensive modem
to decode.  There may be a few hams using it, hopefully someone
will post the frequencies they use.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 3:50 PM Steve Rose <stevesden1@...> wrote:
Hi all.
Looking for basic info on   receiving and decoding PACTOR 1 with Multipsk  and current frequencies,,,..
I take it that a HAM radio licence is not required to decode or Pactor Modem.. ..

73 Steve UK

Steve Berbick

Hi to All:

The only modem, currently  available to receive-and-transmit all PACTOR
transmissions (PACTOR 1-through-4), is made by a German company, called -
Spezielle Communications Systeme GmbH & Co. KG (also known as "SCS").
Their full-capability modem is designated as the Model P4dragon DR-7800.
This quite-costly modem , however, is designed for, both, receiving and
transmitting very-reliable digital communications under very-stressful link
conditions. If you want to transmit PACTOR, clearly, you will
need an Amateur or Commercial communicator's license. If you only
want to perform non-commercial monitoring-and-decoding, you do
not need any communicator's license of any kind but you will
need what's described within the next paragraph :

In October of 2019, SCS announced that they were making a
software "monitoring utility", called PMON, which is being designed to
work on Linux platforms. Their initial PMON version is able to decode
PACTOR 1-through-3 but it is to also be upgraded for monitoring-and-decoding
PACTOR-4 transmissions, sometime in 2020 time-frame, provided that the
COVID-19 pandemic doesn't slow them down too much; see the following link :

https://www.p4dragon.com/en/PMON.html

I have, personally, requested SCS to consider making a
Windows OS-based version of their PMON utility. But, to date, I have
received no response, one-way-or-the-other from SCS. I found that to
be a bit disconcerting. If nothing else, they could have replied to me and
said something like - we are not considering any further variation
developments for PMON. But, I may try, again, sometime in the future....

I hope this message helps those who may be interested in persuing
PACTOR decoding in the future.

Best Regards and 73................... Steve Berbick (W6SLD)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

you do not need a license to decode pactor.  Most pactor today
is pactor 2 or higher which requires a very expensive modem
to decode.  There may be a few hams using it, hopefully someone
will post the frequencies they use.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 3:50 PM Steve Rose <stevesden1@...> wrote:
Hi all.
Looking for basic info on   receiving and decoding PACTOR 1 with Multipsk  and current frequencies,,,..
I take it that a HAM radio licence is not required to decode or Pactor Modem.. ..

73 Steve UK

Steve Rose

Thanks for info....seems quite hard to find frequencies....I note that  seaTTY now offers Pactor mode..
73 Steve

Steve Rose

Thanks Steve for all the info....very informative).
My interest is just decoding...and getting to know Multipsk full potential..

Best regards and thanks Steve UK

Martin P

Hello Steve, I hope Patrick does not mind me telling you this but there is some sotware called sorcerer that will decode pactor 1, 2 and 3 as well as lots of other data modes. It is RX only and I have used it a lot over the years.

73 de Martin, also in UK.

Andrew O'Brien

The Sourcerer software will not decode Pactor 2 or 3 UNLESS it is the open free text format . For example , it will decode amateur operators conducting a keyboard to keyboard QSO using P1-3 but will not decode anything in the Winlink system .
Andy

On Jun 15, 2020, at 9:21 AM, Martin P via groups.io <martinpacker44=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Steve, I hope Patrick does not mind me telling you this but there is some sotware called sorcerer that will decode pactor 1, 2 and 3 as well as lots of other data modes. It is RX only and I have used it a lot over the years.

73 de Martin, also in UK.

Steve Rose

Hi Martin,,...thanks for info..Im sure Patrick does not mind ...Ive been with Multipsk for 10 years and is incredible  piece of software..
.
Yes I know about Sorcerer....and down loads now can contain Malware...but good luck to you Martin if it runs ok)
Quite honestly Pactor decoding is not a big deal....just pure interest....something  that keeps our hobby surviving...
The current issue is finding the frequencies for Pactor 1...and recognising the sound and waterfall …..but I enjoy the hunt...

Thanks for message and info..
73 Steve UK

Steve Berbick

Hi Martin :

Yes, I have and use Sorcerer and FLdigi in parallel with MultiPSK just for reduncancy
and for decoding performance-comparisons. One of these-three tools always
performs better than the others (varies from signal-to-signal), depending-upon QRM
(interference), fading and non-random noise conditions.

For me, Sorcerer does OK for simple PACTOR (1-3) formats but I don't think that it does
PACTOR in any robust fashion. I'm going to get a PMON setup, once I have some time
to play with it. Eventually , I'm gonna buy a real PACTOR modem from SCS
(costs around $2k) if MultiPSK doesn't eventually incorporate** the PMON code in the future.

** I do not know if SCS will ever publically-release their PMON code and/or make a
Windows OS version available for use and incorporation into other tools,
such as MultiPSK of FLdigi.

Best Regards.................................... Steve Berbick (W6SLD)

Hello Steve, I hope Patrick does not mind me telling you this but there is some sotware called sorcerer that will decode pactor 1, 2 and 3 as well as lots of other data modes. It is RX only and I have used it a lot over the years.

73 de Martin, also in UK.

Steve Berbick

Let's try this agan :

Hi Martin (martinpacker44@...) :

Yes, I have and use Sorcerer and FLdigi in parallel with MultiPSK just for reduncancy
and for decoding performance-comparisons. One of these-three tools always
performs better than the others (varies from signal-to-signal), depending-upon QRM
(interference), fading and non-random noise conditions.

For me, Sorcerer does OK for simple PACTOR (1-3) formats but I don't think that it does
PACTOR in any robust fashion. I'm going to get a PMON setup, once I have some time
to play with it. Eventually , I'm gonna buy a real PACTOR modem from SCS
(costs around $2k) if MultiPSK doesn't eventually incorporate** the PMON code in the future.

** I do not know if SCS will ever publically-release their PMON code and/or make a
Windows OS version available for use and incorporation into other tools,
such as MultiPSK of FLdigi.

Hope this response reaches you.................................... Steve Berbick (W6SLD)

On 2020-06-17 15:01, mike agner wrote:

Yes, if you're going to find readable PACTOR the ham bands is where you would find it.

On the non-ham bands, there is some Maritime use, but it's almost entirely encrypted and use Huffman compression which you will never read. On occasion you will see someone caught a PACTOR 1 transmission in which the header is readable, but that's about it. I've been cataloging logs from the Utility DXers Forum for the last year and a half, and while PACTOR is reported from time to time, it's not a real high volume. Some months there's hardly any at all

Mike

Steve Rose

Hi Mike

Thanks for info.....I put a post in  the Utility DXers Forum and a couple of replies but no one  actually decoding which verifies your experience of Quote... cataloging logs from the Utility DXers Forum for the last year and a half, and while PACTOR is reported from time to time, it's not a real high volume...

PACTOR 1 was/is a passing interest and seems its a hard chase so will probably move on....will see)
73 Steve UK

Martin P

Hello Steve, I have also been using Multipsk for a long time, when I first started using it, it decoded a lot fewer modes than it does now.
I was assured that Sorcerer was safe to download and install and never had any problems.

73 de Martin.

Steve Rose

Hello Martin..

Yes used and using Multipsk as my total decoder over the years with constant updating and excellent feedback with info  and pointers...
Had a look at  Sorcerer and  looks ok but lacking in support .....but hey each to  their own and  we have our designated decoder and nothing  wronng with choices too....
Mentioned before about  PACTOR1 as something I am not chasing....mode  wise? ALE looks interesting....and as with all modes  am receiving  data only)

Thanks Martin
73 Steve  UK