Multipsk V.4.39.1 - Test version 1 - TCP/IP interface with SDRplay (via rsp_tcp.exe) and TNT receivers (via rtl_tcp.exe)

Patrick Lindecker

Hello to all,

For those interested by a TCP/IP interface with SDRplay and TNT receivers,  I have updated Multipsk to support these interfaces (“SDR play” and “rtl_tcp.exe” buttons in the Configuration screen) in this test version 1 (Multipsk.exe + manual files zipped + necessary files for these interfaces): http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_39_1_test_version_1.zip

Paste this address in your Internet Explorer or equivalent. Download the file.
First, make a copy of the your Multipsk folder, in case of…

Extract the Multipsk.exe file (+ manual files + files for interfaces) and replace the “official” Multipsk.exe (+ manual files) with these test version files.

From the manual, about the SDRplay (similar for the rtl_tnt.exe)

- If the "SDRplay" button is pushed, for any SDRplay receiver, the I/Q signal is taken from the key through the "rsp_tcp.exe" TCP/IP server. According to my tests, the "rsp_tcp.exe" server works with Windows 10 and, possibly, with previous versions (Vista for example), this depending on the files missing and to be downloaded from Internet. It needs a powerful PC. The sampling frequency is 250 KHz (except for ADSB for which it is using a 2 MHz sampling frequency).
The defaut TCP/IP parameters are given below (they can be changed by pushing on the "Options (port/adress)" button):

  • The address is the local loop one: 127.0.0.1
  • The port is the 1234 one.

Moreover, the "+Speaker" may be pushed, to listen to the demodulated sound.

The "Transceiver" window on the "RX/TX" screen permits to control the frequency and the gain (see below).

To make this interface possible, several files are located in the Multipsk directory:

  • mir_sdr_api.dll
  • msvcr100.dll
  • pthreadVCE2.dll
  • vcruntime140.dll
  • rsp_rcp.exe

Associated with "rtl_tcp.exe" and "SDRplay", by pushing on the "Options (port/adress)" button, it is opened a box in which it can be changed:

  • the IP adress: the standard local IP address is 127.0.0.1. For a distant server, paste the server WEB IP adress,
  • the port: the TCP/IP port used, by default, is the number 1234, but it can be changed with the spin button, from 1231 to 1250. So several occurrences of Multipsk can be started, each one connected to a server and so to a different receiver. For this, the PC must be very powerful.

“Transceiver”  functions

TCP/IP control of a TNT receiver or compatible ("rtl_tcp.exe" button) or a SDRplay receiver ("SDRplay" button)

Multipsk proposes the possibility to control the frequency and the gain of a TNT or compatible receiver or a SDRplay receiver. The frequency is controlled as with Commander with the increment/decrement buttons and with the wheel mouse. The gain is controlled with the following buttons:

  • "Auto" (for "automatic level"),
  • or, manually, with the spinbutton between "0/9" (min) and "9/9" (max). Prefer the "Auto" position, the goal being to have a sufficient AF level, but without overloading it (level about 30 to 50 %).
  • The "AGC" button enables or disables the internal digital AGC of the RTL2832 (only for the "rtl_tcp.exe" program).

With the "Correction" field, it is possible to correct the frequency (maximum +/-9999 ppm, with normal adjustment between -100 to 100 ppm), as for the Funcube.

Thanks to post your observations or reports on the Multipsk group (not direct, please).

Note: I have not checked the working from a remote receiver + server. At first glance the 250 KHz sampling frequency can perhaps be managed through a public high speed TCP/IP link, but the 2 MHz for ADSB seems too much too high.

Fred Albertson

Hi Patrick,

What an excellent improvement for MultiPSK.  For me, and all the RSP/SDRPlay users,
this is a great step forward.  I'm sure it will bring many users to MultiPSK.

I have it decoding VDL2 with my RSP2-Pro as I write this and it is working flawlessly.

I second Phil's request for a Bias-T option.  The ability to turn on the internal Bias-T
capability of the RSP family would allow us to directly decode AERO, ECG, and other
low signal transmitters.

Thank you again for your outstanding software and please let me know if I can assist
in particular tests.

Great Day,

Fred

Lee -WB4QOJ

Patrick,

     I am happy with all updates love MULTIPSK...Will this work with my Airspy and Spyverter ? I hope it will.

    Thanks again for GREAT SOFTWARE.

Lee WB4QOJ

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019, 1:57 PM Fred Albertson <albertso@...> wrote:
Hi Patrick,

What an excellent improvement for MultiPSK.  For me, and all the RSP/SDRPlay users,
this is a great step forward.  I'm sure it will bring many users to MultiPSK.

I have it decoding VDL2 with my RSP2-Pro as I write this and it is working flawlessly.

I second Phil's request for a Bias-T option.  The ability to turn on the internal Bias-T
capability of the RSP family would allow us to directly decode AERO, ECG, and other
low signal transmitters.

Thank you again for your outstanding software and please let me know if I can assist
in particular tests.

Great Day,

Fred

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Lee,

>Will this work with my Airspy and Spyverter ? I hope it will.

I have no such receivers, so…. Normally there is a server called” Airspy_tcp.exe” which is compatible with the rtl_tcp protocol.

If you have this file, you can try to rename it in “rtl_tcp.exe” and click on the “rtl_tcp.exe” button of Multipsk (who knows…).  However, there will be certainly specific DLL that you will have to add to make the server working (see with the Airspy company).

[...]

I have just setup Test Version 2 with my RSP2.  The Bias-T works for me.
The amplifier at the antenna connected to "Ant B" port gets voltage when
the "BIAS-T button is pushed in the "Options" box.

Just a note: The "push-push" type of button is a little confusing as it does
not show the current state of the antenna power.

Thank you for the quick fix and the fine software.

Fred

Patrick Lindecker

Fred,

The SDRplay that a Ham lends me (thanks Alain) must be a RSP1. There is only one output (ANT-A?). It’s perhaps the reason of no bias-T output.

I will consider that this option is only worth for RSP2 receivers. TKS.

>not show the current state of the antenna power.
RR.

I have just setup Test Version 2 with my RSP2.  The Bias-T works for me.
The amplifier at the antenna connected to "Ant B" port gets voltage when
the "BIAS-T button is pushed in the "Options" box.

Just a note: The "push-push" type of button is a little confusing as it does
not show the current state of the antenna power.

Thank you for the quick fix and the fine software.

Fred

Fred Albertson

Thanks again, Patrick.

I do not have access to an RSP1 so I can not confirm.

Great day,

Fred

agene

Hi Fred/Patrick,

I have installed the new test version, but have so far not succeeded in getting any decodes in either ACARS or VDL2. I also have a RSP2 like yours Fred, so could you give details of exactly how you have MultiPSK set up to receive these? The waterfall on the 'I/Q direct interface via sound card' shows a thick red line in the middle of the screen when set to 136.975MHz but no signals are seen?

I do not have a LNA on my VHF antenna, so don't need to use bias-t for this purpose.

Which antenna is the RSP2 using? Can it be changed?

I have no problems receiving these modes with MultiPSK and a RTL-SDR dongle on this antenna, so should be no problem with the hardware. Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Albertson

Hi Mike and Patrick,

I have not made any particular changes to the way I ran VDL2 with another receiver.
Please see screen print below.

I have noticed that with the AGC on "Auto" I do not capture as many frames as when I
back the gain off a bit.

I am using Antenna A with a discone and no amp.

As for changing antennas, I learned something interesting while testing the Bias-T issue,
and I may get this wrong as it is a bit confusing.  When I am running SDRUno, the
antennas are exclusive and are controlled by the buttons on the UI.  When running
under MultiPSK, both ports are connected at the same time.  The Bias-T voltage is
only seen on Port B.

Hope this helps,

Fred

agene

Thanks Fred,

For some reason my RSP2 is working differently, I originally had the antenna connected to antenna 'B' which is the one I always use and did not see any traffic, but have now installed the new Test version 2 and connected antenna to 'A' and it is working very well.

Thanks to Patrick for this excellent improvement in MultiPSK.

Phil Walls

Hi Fred, can you tell me where you are seeing the bias t button? I have the RSP1a and i am seeing nothing.

--
We swear by the southern cross, to stand truly by each other and to fight to defend our rights and liberties- 1854

agene

Hi Phil,

The bias-t button is on the Options/Ports screen underneath the SdrPlay button in the config screen.

I now have 3 copies of MultiPSK running, one with the RSP2 copying VDL2 and 2 copies connected to RTL dongles receiving ACARS via the I/Q connection. All feeding my ACARS-VDL2-Display screen. Picture below.

Thanks Patrick for this excellent software. I appear to be receiving more traffic with this setup than I was previously.

It does not appear to be possible to run two RSP receivers at this time, I got the RSP2 running with MultiPSK, but when I tried to get the RSP1 running with SDRUno, although the option asking if I wanted to connect RSP1 or 2 came up, it could not connect. Maybe if I get SDRUno running first it will work, I will have to try that.

Phil Walls

Thanks Mike, option not present for the 1a. see attachment.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 11:17 AM MadMike <virtualtrains@...> wrote:
Hi Phil,

The bias-t button is on the Options/Ports screen underneath the SdrPlay button in the config screen.

I now have 3 copies of MultiPSK running, one with the RSP2 copying VDL2 and 2 copies connected to RTL dongles receiving ACARS via the I/Q connection. All feeding my ACARS-VDL2-Display screen. Picture below.

Thanks Patrick for this excellent software. I appear to be receiving more traffic with this setup than I was previously.

It does not appear to be possible to run two RSP receivers at this time, I got the RSP2 running with MultiPSK, but when I tried to get the RSP1 running with SDRUno, although the option asking if I wanted to connect RSP1 or 2 came up, it could not connect. Maybe if I get SDRUno running first it will work, I will have to try that.

Attachments:

--
We swear by the southern cross, to stand truly by each other and to fight to defend our rights and liberties- 1854

agene

Hi Phil,

Click the 'Options (port address)' button and you should see a window as under. The bias-t is on the bottom left of that window as shown here.

Phil Walls

thanks Mike, got it now. would never have looked there.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:32 PM MadMike <virtualtrains@...> wrote:
Hi Phil,

Click the 'Options (port address)' button and you should see a window as under. The bias-t is on the bottom left of that window as shown here.

We swear by the southern cross, to stand truly by each other and to fight to defend our rights and liberties- 1854

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Mike,

>It does not appear to be possible to run two RSP receivers at this time, I got the RSP2 running with MultiPSK, but when I tried to get the RSP1 running with SDRUno,

You must select distinct ports, for example 1234 for the RSP2 and 1235 for the SDRUno. Click on “Options (port and address)” to select the port.

However the CPU load will be enormous.

The bias-t button is on the Options/Ports screen underneath the SdrPlay button in the config screen.

I now have 3 copies of MultiPSK running, one with the RSP2 copying VDL2 and 2 copies connected to RTL dongles receiving ACARS via the I/Q connection. All feeding my ACARS-VDL2-Display screen. Picture below.

Thanks Patrick for this excellent software. I appear to be receiving more traffic with this setup than I was previously.

It does not appear to be possible to run two RSP receivers at this time, I got the RSP2 running with MultiPSK, but when I tried to get the RSP1 running with SDRUno, although the option asking if I wanted to connect RSP1 or 2 came up, it could not connect. Maybe if I get SDRUno running first it will work, I will have to try that.

Attachments:

kb7ypf@...

Patrick,

Just connected my RSP1, after putting the zip file in the appropriate Multipsk folder.  It works great...!  Had to play around a little to familiarize myself with the settings for the I/Q direct interface.

Right now listening to  AM and getting ready to do the Digital Mode Things.  The bands are dead (here) for now, hope they open up in an hour or so.  Thank you for a great piece of SWL/HAM software.  I know many will enjoy this feature as dongles will continue to grow.

73,
kb7ypf / Richard

On Saturday, April 20, 2019, 1:59:05 PM MST, Patrick Lindecker <f6cte@...> wrote:

Hello to all,

For those interested by a TCP/IP interface with SDRplay and TNT receivers,  I have updated Multipsk to support these interfaces (“SDR play” and “rtl_tcp.exe” buttons in the Configuration screen) in this test version 1 (Multipsk.exe + manual files zipped + necessary files for these interfaces): http://f6cte.free.fr/MULTIPSK_4_39_1_test_version_1.zip

Paste this address in your Internet Explorer or equivalent. Download the file.
First, make a copy of the your Multipsk folder, in case of…

Extract the Multipsk.exe file (+ manual files + files for interfaces) and replace the “official” Multipsk.exe (+ manual files) with these test version files.

From the manual, about the SDRplay (similar for the rtl_tnt.exe)

[...]

Andrew O'Brien

I am a long time Multipsk user but have never really used with my SDRplay devices . What are the benefits of using the new Multipsk connection to an SDRplay ?
Andy K3UK

On Apr 22, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Dick & Susan via Groups.Io <kb7ypf@...> wrote:

[...]

From the manual, about the SDRplay (similar for the rtl_tnt.exe)

[...]

Dick & Susan <kb7ypf@...>

Hi Andy,

I will take a crack at your question.  First the RSP1 will get power from a computer USB port and communicate via that USB port with whatever software you are using for the RSP1.  So, you do not need a big boat anchor transceiver that requires 220/120VAC for primary power.  Just put the RSP1 or any dongle in your shirt pocket and away you go as the RSP1 is very light/small and packed with many features/functions.

The RSP1 will run on a laptop and you can use Multipsk  on the same laptop and do  your favorite digital decoding things.

As far as the I/Q interface, I will allow others answer that aspect.

So to sum it it, size, weight, power, and mobility..

73
Richard

On Monday, April 22, 2019, 9:12:31 AM PDT, Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie@...> wrote:

[...]

From the manual, about the SDRplay (similar for the rtl_tnt.exe)

[...]