Topics

Modes

brad@...

We need someone with patience - play as many digital audio files to Siri and see if it is possible to  build up a  siri database- wonder how accurate Siri would be - Semi AI .

Worth a try .

regards

Bradley

ZS5BG

On 2019-11-15 11:42, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello,

There is no function to identify digital modes. It would be extremely complex, impossible to create by amateurs. I don't think that even by professionals can propose such function.

However, there are tools to identify modes, as RS ID for example, but only useful if the sender includes the RS ID in its message, which is not always the case and never the case for common modes as RTTY or BPSK31...

However, after some habit, listening the transmission and looking the waterfall permits to determine which mode or what type of mode (FSK, PSK...) is used.

On 2019-11-15 11:42, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello,

There is no function to identify digital modes. It would be extremely complex, impossible to create by amateurs. I don't think that even by professionals can propose such function.

However, there are tools to identify modes, as RS ID for example, but only useful if the sender includes the RS ID in its message, which is not always the case and never the case for common modes as RTTY or BPSK31...

However, after some habit, listening the transmission and looking the waterfall permits to determine which mode or what type of mode (FSK, PSK...) is used.

I have problems with my program, I do not get the function that identifies digital modes. Is there a side island video ID? Anyone who can explain what to do?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#2643): https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/2643
-=-=-
The Multi Mode Digital Software for Amateur Radio, SWL, Utility DXing, Aircraft and ship monitoring and more!   <br /><a href="http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm" target="_blank">http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm</a><br />Moderated by Andy K3UK and Gary K7EK
-=-=-
Group Owner: multipsk+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Andrew O'Brien

Remember that for all the amateur radio modes in Multipsk, you can press “TX” and hear what the mode sounds like .  This simple method will at least get you close to an accurate estimate of what mode you are hearing .

Bradley’s idea of using Siri got me to thinking about apps such as Soundhoud. If that type of app can recognize hundreds of thousands of songs, almost instantly , perhaps that type of technology can build a data base of 50-100 digital modes .

Andy K3uk

On 2019-11-15 11:42, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello,

[...]

View/Reply Online (#2644): https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/2644
-=-=-
The Multi Mode Digital Software for Amateur Radio, SWL, Utility DXing, Aircraft and ship monitoring and more!   <br /><a href="http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm" target="_blank">http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm</a><br />Moderated by Andy K3UK and Gary K7EK
-=-=-
Group Owner: multipsk+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

brad@...

Hi Paul

I agree with you - the basic modes one can get  a good idea  ,yet of late we have several modes where speeds and structure have advanced - in PSK and PSKR now there are an enormous amount to work though , same as other modes .

I am sure Siri or the similar apps coming out .

If they can detect birds  ,they should be able to detect digital signatures on our frequencies .

You can also teach Siri to pronounce them correctly .

I am not into Siri but am confident the idea is worth investigating .

I used to be able to decode speech inversion by ear,  but that was many moons ago and if one does not practise - you lose it - like CW

regards

Bradley

zs5bg

On 2019-11-15 11:42, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello,

[...]

View/Reply Online (#2646): https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/2646
-=-=-
The Multi Mode Digital Software for Amateur Radio, SWL, Utility DXing, Aircraft and ship monitoring and more!   <br /><a href="http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm" target="_blank">http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm</a><br />Moderated by Andy K3UK and Gary K7EK
-=-=-
Group Owner: multipsk+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

brad@...

Hi Andy

Yes I saw Soundhound but did not want to post too many apps and only used one example .

Perhaps Multipsk is the perfect platform to train Siri - perhaps give her a callsign too (why not)

What is required is perhaps one of the younger hams that is a techno smartphone guru  to investigate .

My kids use Siri all the time but I am old school and use RTTY , does not mean I dont think about using Siri - personal choice .

Should be exciting if this works out - I listen to many digital signals and found the same frustrating issue , especially when ones guess is that someone is experimenting with a few modes and then the challenge is on .

regards

Brad

On 2019-11-15 11:42, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello,

[...]

View/Reply Online (#2647): https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/2647
-=-=-
The Multi Mode Digital Software for Amateur Radio, SWL, Utility DXing, Aircraft and ship monitoring and more!   <br /><a href="http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm" target="_blank">http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm</a><br />Moderated by Andy K3UK and Gary K7EK
-=-=-
Group Owner: multipsk+owner@groups.io
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Andrew O'Brien

Paul, if you are a sighted person I think sight is a valuable adjunct in determining a mode . Sound and sight combined will enable your to identify the vast majority of digital modes without any need for additional aids . The vision focus should be on the bandwidth of the signal displayed in the Multipsk waterfall . Signals can be grouped in to those under 100 Hz wide , 100-500 Hz, 500-1000 , 1000-3000 . Based on currently levels of activity it is unlikely that you will hear more than 5 different modes in any of those “groups”. So, depending on the width, you quickly narrow the identification down to 5 or so . That 5 or so can be identified further by then knowing the sound of each mode . On the amateur bands for example, you will hear FT8 , Opera, WSPR, PSK31 , FT4, Pactor  , Packet , and RTTY daily . Learning what those modes look and sound like is a valuable tool.  Winmor, Vara, Olivia, MFSK 16, MFSK 32, Hell, ALE 141 are on the next most likely to hear group. Then  Ardop, Thor, , Robust Packet,  MT63, M110, ALE 400.
Andy

On 2019-11-15 11:42, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello,

[...]

Just a quick look  ,to me looks like the app birdgenie may be along the right path  ,there are a few good bird ID apps  ,warbler etc  and we need to find one where you can record and manually enter the file name - this way it should not take long to get every mode on Multipsk identifiable - to a point .From there Siri can surely do the rest .

Birds and animals use addition sound information within the structure that us dumb humans hear  , so there is a possibility to further enhance such apps along the way .

regards

Bradley

ZS5BG

On 2019-11-15 11:42, Patrick Lindecker wrote:

Hello,

[...]

View/Reply Online (#2649): https://groups.io/g/multipsk/message/2649
-=-=-
The Multi Mode Digital Software for Amateur Radio, SWL, Utility DXing, Aircraft and ship monitoring and more!   <br /><a href="http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm" target="_blank">http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm</a><br />Moderated by Andy K3UK and Gary K7EK
-=-=-
Group Owner: multipsk+owner@groups.io

mike agner

Just to add and expand a bit - it depends on where on the HF bands you are tuning. Hams use digital modes that are, generally speaking, decodeable with the right software. Keep in mind that MultiPSK can't handle them all - that would be a lot of work. The newer weak signal modes such as FT-4 and FT-8 are viewable using WSJT-X.

However outside the ham bands, that's a different matter entirely. There are many modes we will never ever be able to read, and there are some - such as some of the Russians- that can be read, but they're encoded and can't be interpreted easily. The challenge lies in being able to hear the difference (in some cases, at least, this is possible). As an example, the difference between 2G ALE and HFDL is quite striking, and is easily recognized.

I have several websites with graphs and some audio samples here - see section 4 of.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/HF_Appendix

A better way to learn what is where, in terms of non amateur modes, is to join the Utility DXers Forum reflector on groups.io. They have numerous logs of many different modes - you get to learn what is being found where, and that's a decent first step.

Mike
..