Topics

Hi all. Can anyone please explain how I connect an external audio device, scanner etc into my new windows 10 note book that is without a 3mm mic input? Or am I being thick???

Àrthur Thynne

Ralf Bender

Hi Arthur!
Without knowing more about the notebook it's difficult.
But I know there are small Plugable USB Audio Adapter on the market for a few bucks.
Never tried them, but I would, if I hadn't an 3mm input.

Peter Laws

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 9:59 AM Ralf Bender <@ralf_bender> wrote:

Hi Arthur!
Without knowing more about the notebook it's difficult.
But I know there are small Plugable USB Audio Adapter on the market for a few bucks.
Never tried them, but I would, if I hadn't an 3mm input.

My Intel NUC is my primary computer at N5UWY. It has a 3.5-mm TRRS
jack but otherwise has no legacy connectors (USB A+C, HDMI, Ethernet).
But I only use the 3.5-mm TRRS for speakers.

For radios, I use a couple of Syba USB sound devices based on the
listing below (though I don't see them on Amazon any more - $11 each).
They have a 3.5-mm TRS for stereo output and a 3.5-mm TS for mono
input. I think the output will do SPDIF as well, but I don't know
what that connector looks like (somehow like a 3.5-mm plug?) but I
have no use for SPDIF so not a big deal. They work fine.

http://www.telepostinc.com/soundcards.html

Jose E Martinez

Like most laptops for several years, now recording sound from an external source, for me, is a problem. I had to deactivate the factory built-in sound card in the laptop, and activated an external sound card (a small sound blaster) with input and output connections

I have heard that it exists laptops with one sound card jack but which behaves either as an input or an output, depending (I suppose) on the impedance connected to the jack (low for an output and high for an input).

I tested on my laptop: unfortunately it does not have this feature (moreover this one refuses to behaves as an output if the impedance of this one is high, so I was obliged to put a resistance in parallel to the output).

Note: of course, if the receiver is a USB one (RTL-SDR or SDRplay…) you don’t need a sound card input.

Like most laptops for several years, now recording sound from an external source, for me, is a problem. I had to deactivate the factory built-in sound card in the laptop, and activated an external sound card (a small sound blaster) with input and output connections

Derek Henderson

Hi Can you not use a USB sound card adapter a cheap alternative??

DerekH

Sent from Mail for Windows 10