Topics

Extended ASCII rendering #multipsk

David Stark

Would it be possible to get MultiPSK to render extended ASCII characters in the receive window?

For example, my VDL2 ground stations file uses the accented e in Montreal, which renders as escape codes in MultiPSK.

-Dave, NF2G

Patrick Lindecker

Hello David,

>Would it be possible to get MultiPSK to render extended ASCII characters in the receive window?

ACARS messages in VDL2 are not supposed to use extended ASCII characters (but ASCII with odd parity). Have you examples (in French I suppose) which suggest  use of extended ASCII.

Would it be possible to get MultiPSK to render extended ASCII characters in the receive window?

For example, my VDL2 ground stations file uses the accented e in Montreal, which renders as escape codes in MultiPSK.

-Dave, NF2G

David Stark

MultiPSK is reading text that includes extended characters from its data files, such as VDL2_ground_stations.txt.

-Dave, NF2G

Patrick Lindecker

Dave,

Data from  VDL2_ground_stations.txt are displayed as they are, included extended characters if any. I would need an example of  failure.

MultiPSK is reading text that includes extended characters from its data files, such as VDL2_ground_stations.txt.

-Dave, NF2G

Sergio Sarabia

For some time now I have tried to avoid the extended characters in the file VDL2_ground_stations.txt because it caused a change of font and in bold type on the presentation screen.

Data from  VDL2_ground_stations.txt are displayed as they are, included extended characters if any. I would need an example of  failure.

MultiPSK is reading text that includes extended characters from its data files, such as VDL2_ground_stations.txt.

-Dave, NF2G

David Stark

It has taken me a bit to get back around to this, but here is a screenshot from MultiPSK v4.41 showing how the word Montreal with the accented e is rendered.

Patrick Lindecker

Hello David,

What do you have in your VDL2_Ground_stations.txt about this GS. This file is not the initial Sergio file for which it is written:

1014FA [CYUL Montreal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau Intl 45°30'N 073°42'W] [Pierre QC].

These characters, sort of “Ac” for “è” seems  a translation that I met but I don’t remember where…

It has taken me a bit to get back around to this, but here is a screenshot from MultiPSK v4.41 showing how the word Montreal with the accented e is rendered.

MadMike

>These characters, sort of “Ac” for “è” seems  a translation that I met but I don’t remember where…

Hi Patrick,

I have come across similar translations when viewing continental languages in Microsoft's .xml files - I wrote utilities for 'Train Simulator' and many of the continental stations had accented names. However .xml files do not support such names and I had to include a translation table like:-

"é" = Chr(239) & Chr(191) & Chr(169)

I could not find a published translation table for these and had to work out by trial and error.

Hello Mike,

RR. I tried your combination of ANSI characters but it is not the good one . But it is not the good one. However, it must be that sort of thing which explains the translation of “é”.

>I could not find a published translation table for these and had to work out by trial and error.

A big work…

>These characters, sort of “Ac” for “è” seems  a translation that I met but I don’t remember where…

Hi Patrick,

I have come across similar translations when viewing continental languages in Microsoft's .xml files - I wrote utilities for 'Train Simulator' and many of the continental stations had accented names. However .xml files do not support such names and I had to include a translation table like:-

"é" = Chr(239) & Chr(191) & Chr(169)

I could not find a published translation table for these and had to work out by trial and error.

David Stark

I had to heavily edit the original files because they contain many name and location errors for airports.  Also, the lat/long info serves no purpose in MultiPSK and only takes up screen space.

This is the line from my file:

1014FA [CYUL Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International] [Montréal QC]

-Dave, NF2G

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Dave,

>1014FA [CYUL Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International] [Montréal QC]
Can you send me, in direct, your CONFPSER .SER and CONFFONT.SER files, so that I can try in your conditions.

I had to heavily edit the original files because they contain many name and location errors for airports.  Also, the lat/long info serves no purpose in MultiPSK and only takes up screen space.

This is the line from my file:

1014FA [CYUL Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International] [Montréal QC]

-Dave, NF2G

Sergio Sarabia

Please send me all the lines corrected by you to update the list.

I had to heavily edit the original files because they contain many name and location errors for airports.  Also, the lat/long info serves no purpose in MultiPSK and only takes up screen space.

This is the line from my file:

1014FA [CYUL Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International] [Montréal QC]

-Dave, NF2G

David Stark

I don't have direct sending links for anyone.  I tried to upload the requested files to the group's Files area but the buttons there are disabled.

-Dave, NF2G

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Dave,

In the « From » field, the email address appears. At least here.

My email address is f6cte at free.fr