Topics

CPDLC/HFDL

Josef Garcia

Hello everybody,

a question about CPDLC message reception with Multipsk and HFDL.

What do I have to activate to receive CPDLC?

SPDU, MPDU, LPDU or HFNPDU?

Thanks for your help!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Josef,

A priori, it can’t. I don’t know these messages in fact. It think that someone spoke about these messages some years ago, the decoder used was of Linux one.

a question about CPDLC message reception with Multipsk and HFDL.

What do I have to activate to receive CPDLC?

SPDU, MPDU, LPDU or HFNPDU?

Thanks for your help!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia

Hello Patrick,

thank you for the answer. At https://klingenfuss.org/homepage.htm under "Hot Frequencies" I have seen HFDL transmissions called "CPDLC message".

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Patrick Lindecker

Thanks Josef for the information.

a question about CPDLC message reception with Multipsk and HFDL.

What do I have to activate to receive CPDLC?

SPDU, MPDU, LPDU or HFNPDU?

FANS-1/A CPDLC is transmitted in ACARS messages, so you have to activate whatever is required to receive ACARS (I don't use MultiPSK on a daily basis, so I can't give you an exact button / option name).

You can identify CPDLC messages by their ACARS label - CPDLC uplinks have AA label, while downlinks have BA.

Once you collect some messages, you can copy out their contents from the log file and decode them manually using decode_acars_apps program, which comes bundled with libacars (https://github.com/szpajder/libacars). You can build it from source and run on Linux or use Windows binaries from https://github.com/szpajder/libacars/releases .

Tomasz Lemiech

Josef Garcia

Hello Tomasz,

thank you very much!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia

Hello,

another question: Can Multipsk automatically decode the FANS-1/A-CPDLC messages under VDL2?

Thank you!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Patrick Lindecker

No it does no decode these messages (as I don’t know what they exactly are). I think that it exists a decoding under Linux which decodes these messages.

another question: Can Multipsk automatically decode the FANS-1/A-CPDLC messages under VDL2?

Thank you!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia

Thanks Patrick for the information!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Paul Gulliver

This program will decode these messages using a RPi or similar https://github.com/szpajder/dumpvdl2

Paul

On 12/12/2020 at 19:21, Patrick Lindecker <f6cte@...> wrote:

No it does no decode these messages (as I don’t know what they exactly are). I think that it exists a decoding under Linux which decodes these messages.

another question: Can Multipsk automatically decode the FANS-1/A-CPDLC messages under VDL2?

Thank you!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia

Thanks Paul!

73 Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia

Hello Patrick,

would it be a lot of work for you to program the CPDLC protocol in multipsk for VDL2?

Many thanks and 73
Josef

Josef Garcia

Hello Patrick,

Addendum: A CPDLC message looks like this /YQXE2YA.AT1.A7-AMKE28299D41BCB43AD7F81F9039680D2B4. With an online decoder here is the link http://dev.satradar24.com/teste_jonis/#/decpdlc you can decode it, but very awkward. If it was integrated in Multipsk, it would be much easier.

Many thanks and 73
Josef

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Josef,

Do these CPFLC messages pertain to the « Data (hexa)” messages displayed by Multipsk (but not decoded)?

>If it was integrated in Multipsk, it would be much easier.

Why not, but if I can find the description of these CPDLC messages, which is not trivial.

Addendum: A CPDLC message looks like this /YQXE2YA.AT1.A7-AMKE28299D41BCB43AD7F81F9039680D2B4. With an online decoder here is the link http://dev.satradar24.com/teste_jonis/#/decpdlc you can decode it, but very awkward. If it was integrated in Multipsk, it would be much easier.

Many thanks and 73

Josef

Attachments:

Josef Garcia

Hello Patrick,

it is not displayed in VDL2 under Multipsk. I received this example under Multipsk/HFDL "Message Type: AA" and made it visible with the CPDLC Online Decoder. The CPDLC messages are the same under HFDL and VDL2.

73
Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia

Hello Patrick,

here is another example on the L-band decoded with JAERO:

#MD/AA LMSLAMC.AT1.91431T21C9C5AA49EACE830A64541527A0A14A7D693122A08D562CC410AAD4410E0CE414E2CE88821458B48098CC

FANS-1/A CPDLC Message:
CPDLC Uplink Message:
  Header:
   Msg ID: 3
   Timestamp: 18:28:22
  Message data:
   [freetext]
    UNABLE TO PROVIDE FUEL BUT CAN SEND BEER

There is also a Windows decoder for CPDLC messages, maybe that will help you:
https://github.com/szpajder/libacars/releases/tag/v2.1.3

73
Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia

Patrick Lindecker

Josef,

After some research on the WEB, it’s clear that, in VDL2, Hexa messages (“ISO 8208 message Data (hexa)”) beginning by “1B FF” are CPDLC messages, but I didn’t find documents describing the bit fields, so they will remain a mystery…

it is not displayed in VDL2 under Multipsk. I received this example under Multipsk/HFDL "Message Type: AA" and made it visible with the CPDLC Online Decoder. The CPDLC messages are the same under HFDL and VDL2.

73

Josef
DE3JGA

Josef Garcia