Sr. Citizen Getting Started With Help, Please #Beginner

rmrrgs

Hello all,

In my 80's now, so please bear with me a bit.

I would like, very much, to use (paid is fair) multipack for HF Acars, Navtex, etc.
It seems like every 6 months or so I start, but am put off by the, for me, very intimidating interface.
Would like to try again; stubborn trait.
Seems like an incredible program; can't begin to imagine how many hours have gone into it.

I have a SDRPlay RSPdx which I guess would be the one to use.   (also have an Airspy HF+ Discovery)

If someone could take pity on an 80 + yr old, and walk me, Very exactly, thru all the steps to get it going
for Acars or Navtex to start with, would be most appreciative.

Also, how to set up VB Cable (or do I want COM0COM ?), which I am very uncertain about.

Again, thanks very much for any help; really appreciate it (and need it).

       Besides this requested "hands-on" help, is there also perhaps a  User Guide, or How-To Get Started link ?

Regards, stay well,
Bob

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Bob,

80’s is still young !

For a SDRplay, you can interface Multipsk directly. For more information, look at the Mike (KA3JJZ) WEB page: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Connect_the_SDRPlay_RSPs_via_TCP_IP_to_Multipsk

>Besides this requested "hands-on" help, is there also perhaps a  User Guide, or How-To Get Started link ?
There is an old Multipsk user guide but many papers and videos  on http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

You can also type “Multipsk” + the “mode” to get videos. The majority of these videos are in English  (we have not this chance here ☺).

When you want to monitor a mode, click on the transmission (on the waterfall) and that’s all. A priori, leave the default configuration. If you want to change something, call the contextual help (see below) and look at the manual.

There is no “step by step” guide.

Here are some hints:

1. About how modes look like

http://f1ult.free.fr/DIGIMODES/MULTIPSK/digimodesF6CTE_en.htm
Look at this address. You have the sound and visual identification of many
modes.

Note: the RS ID permits to identify a mode and the transmission central frequency (see the paper above).
Click on “ID” for RS ID configuration and “RX ID” to set in ON.

2) Calibration of the sound card (not for SdR interfaced with Multipsk)

It is strongly recommended to calibrate the sound-card: click on the
"Adjustments" menu button, then select the "Determination of the RX/TX
sound-card sampling frequencies
" option and push on the "Determination of
the 48 KHz RX sampling frequency (test on 3 minutes)
" button. At the end of
the test, click on "Return",
Now, if the speed is very close to 48000 Hz (let's say between 47950 and 48050), it's better to manually set it to 48000 Hz.

3) Sound level

About the sound level ("Level" indication in % at the top of the
screen): an AF level superior or equal to 10 % is OK. About 50 % is ideal
(but not critical). In case of very low AF level, select "16 bits" in the
"Determination of the RX/TX sound-card sampling frequencies" option
("Adjustments" menu button).

4) About the help in Multipsk:

- To bring up the text manual (contextual sensitive one), click on the right
button of the mouse, with the cursor over the mode button "BPSK31", for
example, or any other button. In the example, only the BPSK31 help will be displayed.

- Also use the button hints (wait a fraction of second over a button).

5) About frequencies:

Click on the button "QRG" to get all the more or less HF used frequencies.

Click also on “Mode” and “Frequencies used” (for more information about frequencies).

6) For about CW, RTTY configuration:

Click on “Mode” for the different options (bandwidth, speed…).