Output sound card number mappings shuffling after PC random idle unlock (v 4.43.1)

Mark Bailey

I’m using a 7300 with latest Sinclair USB drivers, and all that works well with my Windows 10 Pro (). For some reason, instead of showing Sinclair sound device, the 7300 just shows as “Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)”. In MultiPSK, this sound device shows up as ‘Sound Card 5’:

And, sure enough, on a TX, this is the audio device in Sound Control Panel’s Playback tab that has the audio signal coming from MultiPSK to the 7300:

However, if I leave MultiPSK running, and then the idle timer kicks in to lock the screen, when I come back and unlock my PC screen after some period of time has passed, all things being equal, the output from MultiPSK is now coming out on a different soundcard # (and not always the same “wrong” one each time):

I confirmed the Sound Card (Output) is still set (as up top of this email) for the “Sound Card 5 - USB Audio CODEC”. But now, MultiPSK’s audio out is coming out one of my 2 27” LG gaming monitors, and not going to 7300 anymore. And in order to actually send audio to the 7300’s “speaker” device (computer to 7300), after a bit trial and error picking different other Playback devices, this go around, I had to set it to “Sound Card 3” (digital audio port on my PC).

In fact, the entire sound card list appears to have been shuffled randomly. When I TX now from MultiPSK, it connects to remote nodes as expected. Note that if I exit MultiPSK completely, and relaunch it, the sound card list mapping is back to what you’d expect. It’s weird.

Any takers??? :)

Patrick Lindecker

Hello Mark,

The sound card lists (RX and TX) are extracted from a Windows API. Multipsk displays what Windows gives and does not modify these lists. They are given as received.

>In fact, the entire sound card list appears to have been shuffled randomly.

However, it is possible that the Multipsk file be corrupted. Try to download the last version of  Multipsk  and install it in a new directory. If the lists continues to change randomly or to show weird lines, it’s  beyond my competences.

[...]

Attachments:

Mark Bailey

OK, will try that. On the same point, would MultiPSK call that same Windows API call again on a Lock screen unlock, desktop restore/redisplay? What's odd is that this remapping seems to stick for as long as the screen is not locked. But I haven't tried to retest the sound card mapping across multiple consecutive idle->lock->unlock events.

I will try a fresh install in a new created folder first, though.

Patrick Lindecker

Mark,

The API is called when you are in the Configuration screen, but not when you are in the RX/TX screen.

>However, if I leave MultiPSK running, and then the idle timer kicks in to lock the screen, when I come back in after some period of time has passed, all things being equal, the output from MultiPSK is >now coming out on a different soundcard # (and not always the same “wrong” one each time):

The behavior that you described looks like as if Windows, for an unknown reason,  stops the sound card in progress for another sound card. Curious.

OK, will try that. On the same point, would MultiPSK call that same Windows API call again on a Lock screen unlock, desktop restore/redisplay? What's odd is that this remapping seems to stick for as long as the screen is not locked. But I haven't tried to retest the sound card mapping across multiple consecutive idle->lock->unlock events.

I will try a fresh install in a new created folder first, though.

Mark Bailey

Hhhmmm. Indeed is does sound like that. I will check the Events logs too. Also, this is only happening to the output audio device. The input (set to the 7300's Record tab device) seems to remain mapped properly. I could also set the output device to, say, by 55" flat screen speakers and see if it get remapped the same as the 7300's is. If not, then it could be something squirrely with the 7300's Sinclair USB audio device driver. Not sure. But now that I know how MultiPSK gets its mapping in the first place, that gives me a narrower scope to be exploring now. thanks!

Patrick Lindecker

For information, the Windows API used is waveOutGetDevCaps